Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ecoboost Owners

mrnate450r

Since TMC has an alter ego as a F150 forum, I thought it would be appropriate to post this here. My F150 Ecoboost has just over 92k on the clock, and hasn't ever given me a bit of trouble. I had the transmission flushed at around 60k, and I also changed the plugs at that time as well. I am planning on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future. What other maintenance should I look into and perform? I am guessing that a water pump and timing belt will be in the near future. Anybody ever had their valves manually cleaned? 

• Like 1

No help here specifically for the Ecoboost, as mine just flipped 16,000.  But I'm glad hear it has been trouble free.  

Non-brand specific, here is what I'd be looking at for 100,000 miles (based on experience mostly with German cars):

-   Proactive replacement of water pump

-   Inspection of all belts and replace if showing wear

-   New brake fluid

-   Inspection of radiator and cooling lines, replacement with wear.  Antifreeze replacement

-   Fuel filter replacement

If it was my tow vehicle with that many miles, given the distance I tow to the northwoods of WI a few times a summer, i lean more towards the proactive/preventative side since a breakdown would be a vacation destroyer.

is there actually a fuel filter? Havnt seen one in a modern vehicle in years, just a pump sock.

My .02 not ford specific but as a guy with a 132k truck that gets driven cross country. I don't proactively replace non maintenance items. No reason to replace a functional water pump. Hoses and belts are inspected at every oil change. Just keep with the main schedule. Timing belt on a truck - seriously? I hope they didn't actually design a truck engine without a chain.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

It's probably a timing chain not belt, but you knew what I was talking about. 

difference is that you don't replace a timing chain under normal circumstances, a timing belt is a maintenance item.

I am with the look over things but you should be good for 100,000 without anything other then normal maintenance.  I have not looked under any of the eco's but yes I think you would have a fuel filter. Most Fords have a large one somewhere under the chase it looks more like an oil filter.  I might look at things different if I was doing a lot of long halls but still should be good for the firs 100,000 .

4 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

Since TMC has an alter ego as a F150 forum, I thought it would be appropriate to post this here. My F150 Ecoboost has just over 92k on the clock, and hasn't ever given me a bit of trouble. I had the transmission flushed at around 60k, and I also changed the plugs at that time as well. I am planning on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future. What other maintenance should I look into and perform? I am guessing that a water pump and timing belt will be in the near future. Anybody ever had their valves manually cleaned? 

Watch for corrosion on the positive battery cable.  A friend of mine ignored it too long and had to have the cable replaced.  The positive battery cable is more of a wiring harness and cost him $650 or so.  Pricey plus labor intensive.

I have 60k, no issues.  I did receive a service bulletin from Ford extending the warranty on an air pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear the good reports.  My F150 is the Ford I've ever owned and so far I love it!  I'm about to turn 60k with no issues.  I would recommend plug changes every 30k based on what I've read on other forums.  I've towed my Jeep (in the mountains) with it, tractor, boats and I'm always impressed.  Hoping she holds up long term...

• 7 months later...
15 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Spark Plugs at 74k.

Recently I pulled out to pass someone on a two lane road way out in the boonies.  The truck dropped down to 3rd gear and began to shake like the transmission was slipping and grabbing.  This continued into 4th gear then smoothed out.  The engine sounded fine.   Ford House said I needed new spark plugs and new spark plug boots.  I thought they were crazy, but bit my tongue.  

Wow.  I don't know if they flashed in some new software or what, but I swear it has 50 more horsepower and a new engine sound.  Transmission shifts and runs fine.

$458.00 for oil change, spark plugs and boots, a savings of over $52,000 over the new King Ranch I was able to walk past twice.

What is the mfg interval on those?  Can't imagine leaving a set of plugs in a truck that long around here, they would be rotted out from the top side.

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

What is the mfg interval on those?  Can't imagine leaving a set of plugs in a truck that long around here, they would be rotted out from the top side.

Book day 100,000 interval for plugs 

never would make that

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 8:53 AM, Bozboat said:

Spark Plugs at 74k.

Recently I pulled out to pass someone on a two lane road way out in the boonies.  The truck dropped down to 3rd gear and began to shake like the transmission was slipping and grabbing.  This continued into 4th gear then smoothed out.  The engine sounded fine.   Ford House said I needed new spark plugs and new spark plug boots.  I thought they were crazy, but bit my tongue.  

Wow.  I don't know if they flashed in some new software or what, but I swear it has 50 more horsepower and a new engine sound.  Transmission shifts and runs fine.

$458.00 for oil change, spark plugs and boots, a savings of over $52,000 over the new King Ranch I was able to walk past twice.

I'm glad I came across this post. I had the exact same thing happen with mine over the weekend, and I was wondering if it might need new plugs at 65k miles.

On 12/01/2016 at 6:53 AM, Bozboat said:

Spark Plugs at 74k.

I have to ask $458 for spark plugs, boots and oil change?  are they difficult to change spark plugs yourself in the ecoboost?  that seems like a lot of coin for such a relatively easy task.

On 12/13/2016 at 2:52 PM, MikeDe said:

I'm glad I came across this post. I had the exact same thing happen with mine over the weekend, and I was wondering if it might need new plugs at 65k miles.

Yes, I will replace at 50,000 miles from now on.  An amazing difference.  While you could replace the plugs yourself, not easily, the reset of the Engine computer was worth it even if that costs more than he plugs. I am not sure whether the cleared the errors codes, cleared the learning of how I drive or whether I got a software update, but it drives better now than when new.

27 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Yes, I will replace at 50,000 miles from now on.  An amazing difference.  While you could replace the plugs yourself, not easily, the reset of the Engine computer was worth it even if that costs more than he plugs. I am not sure whether the cleared the errors codes, cleared the learning of how I drive or whether I got a software update, but it drives better now than when new.

Couldn't be much worse than replacing the 16 plugs in a Hemi.  They charge nearly $300 for the dealer to do that, I'm too cheap.  As for the clearing of codes/computer that can easily be done with a $15 OBDC2 dongle and some software for your phone.

Edited by oldjeep
On 12/13/2016 at 10:35 PM, robbennett said:

Got around to plugs on mine at 102k but probably could have gone way longer. Truck is all highway miles though. They are extremely easy to do so don't hesitate to tackle it if yourself @Fman

I don't own an ecoboost, just wondered on the newer trucks if even the plugs are able to DIY.  I will be buying a truck this spring and ecoboost is one of them on my list.

Plugs are very easy on the 3.5 and 2.7 . All of them are on top the engine facing down and through the valve covers. You just need a long socket or some good extensions. The hardest part is getting the coil connectors off without breaking them. Give the connectors a good blast of compressed air before you mess with them.