Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter getting stuck on.

Lately when I start the boat the starter is getting stuck on. Sometimes if I turn the ignition on and off several times it will stop. Yesturday we had to tap on it with a wrench to get it to stop. Any ideas as how to stop this from happening. The cyliniod is getting stuck I assume. Thanks

I'm not the best gear head to answer this but I'll try. First spray the starter shaft with lubricant. WD40 ect. Second, I think there is a spring that pushes the drive gear (Bendix ??)back down the spiraled shaft after the engine starts. See if that spring is broken. Third make sure the starter is aligned and mounting bolts are tight. My .02 FWIW

I had a new starter to do this to me. Turns out it was the Starter Relay that is actually sticking. Have not had any problem since replacing starter relay.

Good advice so far. Make sure the starter solenoid is not still getting a 12V signal when it should not be. Aside from that, you could take the starter out and lube it up real good and take a look at that spring that apexeon mentioned. After that, might be time for a rebuild or replace.

• 2 weeks later...
Good advice so far. Make sure the starter solenoid is not still getting a 12V signal when it should not be. Aside from that, you could take the starter out and lube it up real good and take a look at that spring that apexeon mentioned. After that, might be time for a rebuild or replace.

My starter stuck once. On the next fire up it only clicked. I had a new starter installed. Five minutes after firing it up the bell housing blew apart. The dampner ring and flywheel had come off and destroyed everything in it's path. The first clue should have been the rough idle prior to the melt down.

My starter stuck once. On the next fire up it only clicked. I had a new starter installed. Five minutes after firing it up the bell housing blew apart. The dampner ring and flywheel had come off and destroyed everything in it's path. The first clue should have been the rough idle prior to the melt down.

Man, that's gotta suck!

As far as the starter goes, the above posts are correct. The starter is not that old '01. I would pull the starter, remove the solenoid and inspect the spring. With the spring off, inspect the condition of the metal parts, any rust? Ensure the plunger for the solenoid moves freely in the solenoid. Move the plunger by hand and work the bendix in and out. Does it get hung up or feel sticky? Solenoids are cheap, replace it (it should come with a new spring). Test the starter wires. Does the small wire from the key have 12V and turn on and off with the key? Be careful. If you try this with the starter out, the accessary power wire needs to be connected to the battery cable so you can get power to the ignition switch.

If you can get to your starter bolts, this shouldn't take more than and hour or so.

Good luck

It was the starter solenoid it was getting stuck. I removed the starter, only two bolts and the starter come right out. Bolts were tuff to break loose, but once they were loose it came right out. The starter was actually easier to put back in then take out. Go figure. Crazy.gif

Auto Zone carries this solenoid. Duralast SS906 in case anybody needs one down the road.

It was the starter solenoid it was getting stuck. I removed the starter, only two bolts and the starter come right out. Bolts were tuff to break loose, but once they were loose it came right out. The starter was actually easier to put back in then take out. Go figure. Crazy.gif

Auto Zone carries this solenoid. Duralast SS906 in case anybody needs one down the road.

Great to hear it was an inexpensive fix!