Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radio & other accessories not turning off with key removal

Picked up a 2016 A20 and started putting some hours on this awesome boat. Dissapointed that the radio, interior lights, docking lights, underwater lights, etc. are not turning off when the key is removed. Any ideas if this is a mistake or if it is easily fixed? I have been diligent with turning everything off so far, but it is only a matter of time before I drain the batteries due to leaving the radio and amps or other things on... TIA!

• Like 1

Most people prefer it this way.  As Bill mentioned a perko switch near the batteries is a quick fix but I'd be surprised if you didn't already have that option installed.  On my 15', the lights and accessories were separate from the key but the stereo was on the key which I removed as i prefer to listen to music at the dock in the AM and don't want to have to use the key.  

Boats are far different animals from cars and trucks. Id say 9 of 10 I see, the customer wants the stereo off the key switch. When the boat is put away, best practice is to shut the main battery switch off. 

Edited by MLA

Interesting. My 2003 nautique with a key pad performed the opposite and my 1990 Mastercraft was the other was as well. Just surprised me a little. 

Now to create the new habit with the family and friends. 

Thanks for the help! 

Yea, I had to get used to turning off the Perko switch on my new T23 .... It will become second nature ...the only downside is killing the stereo ...all the adjustment settings go away.

4 minutes ago, MoScrilla said:

Yea, I had to get used to turning off the Perko switch on my new T23 .... It will become second nature ...the only downside is killing the stereo ...all the adjustment settings go away.

No worries with the 2016 and the new Kicker KMC source unit, it has EEPROM memory. 

15 hours ago, MoScrilla said:

My 10 yr old Sony Giga-panel head unit doesn't have this problem at all. I cut the power to it anytime I'm not going to be in the boat for more than a day or two.

19 hours ago, MoScrilla said:

I ran the memory wire (I think it was yellow) around the Perko switch direct to a battery to save presets and clock on the head unit. I measured the draw and it was milli amps.