Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stainless Steel Pylon Cap Install Help

Hi Crew, I bought a Stainless Steel Pylon Cap for my 2004 23 LSV (the pylon collapses). I can't seem to get my old cap off for the life of me. I even tried lifting the edge using the razor from a box cutter - couldn't budge it.

Has anyone installed one of these? How is it done?

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2264

I have pulled mine off of out 2004 as well.  My tow ball accidentally unscrewed from the pylon and this is why I to take my cap off.  With the whole ball off I was able to soak it overnight in penetrating oil.  It was corroded in there, and the rubber o-ring was holding it place with the corrosion.  I ended up using a wide but thin chisel and hammer to tap it in there.  If you can get a gap with the razor blade insert the chisel and pry.  Use a second chisel on the other side too helps.

The only thing that holds the cap in place is the o-ring.  If you can pry on it it will pop off.  

I had to take the ball off my tower to get it in the garage (for winter storage).  If I recall, I used a sharp wood chisel and pushed it in (with the tapered side up) exactly perpendicular to the axis of rotation.  Got a bit of a gap then went to the other side and repeat.  Came right off.  You might try spraying some WD-40 in there to get the O ring slippery.  Oil might cause it to swell.  Depends.

• Like 1

Great ideas here Crew, thanks! I'll start with the razor/chisel approach (I'll have to find a chisel like that) and if that doesn't work I'll just drill into it.