Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New (?) Speaker Location - Don't laugh!

minnmarker

This is very innovative for sure.  A little obtrusive for an area that gets a lot of back and forth traffic.  Now you got to wire the speaker wires through the ski pylon for a more "clean" install.

45 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

This is very innovative for sure.  A little obtrusive for an area that gets a lot of back and forth traffic.  Now you got to wire the speaker wires through the ski pylon for a more "clean" install.

Thanks.  It is a bit different.  Very easy on/off and surprisingly stable.

The cord can be routed up thru the same hatch gap as the pylon - so no one trips on it.  Should have put it there for the picture. 

Gotcha on the traffic area.  Just a trade off I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the boat out on the water this weekend and was very pleased with the sound quality and the contribution by the pylon speakers.  Super easy to install and remove and they added a lot to the in cabin music experience.  Definitely recommend it for boats like mine with only dash + 2 (4 total) in-boat speaker locations.  Have not yet surfed with them so don't know how they sound behind the boat.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Had the boat out on the water this weekend and was very pleased with the sound quality and the contribution by the pylon speakers.  Super easy to install and remove and they added a lot to the in cabin music experience.  Definitely recommend it for boats like mine with only dash + 2 (4 total) in-boat speaker locations.  Have not yet surfed with them so don't know how they sound behind the boat.

Did you spin them around for cabin sound, or always directed towards the transom

8 hours ago, Stevo said:

Did you spin them around for cabin sound, or always directed towards the transom

We spun them around to point into the cabin.  Quite stable too. At 45 mph they stayed pointed backwards or forwards - where ever we left them.

8 hours ago, CumminsBu said:

Is that black PVC or ABS? May look into doing the same.

It's ABS.  The vertical tube is 3" and has a couple PVC electrical box adapters inside to bring the ID down to a nice fit over the pylon (I had to sand the box adapter flanges a bit, ABS glue worked fine to glue them together).  2.5" ABS may fit the pylon but I couldn't find any at the time.  The cross bar is 2" ABS (outside diameter of 2-3/8) which was a good fit with available 2-3/8 speaker can mounts.  http://www.bulletlines.com/Wakeboard-Tower-Speaker-Cans-p/206.htm   These seemed to hang almost straight down (speaker face vertical) with the Polk UM speakers in them.  This may not be the case with other cans or speakers.

What you can't see is a short piece of 3/8" PEX pipe that fits into the can neck and also extends up into the 2" ABS.  There is a circumferential slot cut in the ABS that goes about 1/5 the way around.  This allows can rotation for when the boat bow goes up (cans stay level).  I did it with a couple stabs at a circular saw.  No worries if you screw up us since you probably have at least 5' of ABS to work with - just be careful with the fingers..  The PEX serves two purposes: 1) it fits in the can neck and the slot so it limits the rotation. 2) the speaker wires run through it which protects them from the can neck / ABS joint.  Note: once you commit to the ABS glue there is no going back so make sure you have the 2" tubes oriented correctly so your speakers rotate in the correct range.  I used some Sharpie reference lines.  The parts were selected during a 60 minute walk about at Menards.  Having calipers and having measured the pylon ahead of time came in very handy and I had the can mounts with me too.  Cable is 4 conductor cord from Home Depot.  Neutrik 90 degree jack from Amazon.