Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shelf or net above rear ballast bags?

MattMatt

I have soft ballast bags in the rear compartment of my A22. They are great for weight, but I'm worried about throwing gear on top of the bags. Has anyone added a shelf/tray above the ballast bags or maybe hung a cargo net?

Mostly I want somewhere to put life jackets, wetsuits and maybe a tube.

I'll put up some pictures later.

I installed cargo net bags on the underside of the locker doors for stuff like sunscreen and gloves etc. Would be interested to see what you come up with as far as bins or something. 

• Like 2

I've thrown all of the items you describe on top of bags for years.  No worries about the bags, the only annoyance can be if you don't check first, your vest (Murphy's law says it will always be your vest) will get pinched between the hull and your 1100.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I added ballast bags to the back of our 04 LSV last year, Wakemakers tank buster kit.  We mainly wakeboard but are starting to surf more.  

Anyhoo, I did add shelves to both rear compartments about 11" off the floor so that we can store gear, trash cans and other items back there and still fill the bags for wakeboarding.  The bags fill to between 400-500 lbs by best guess.  The shelves are double hinged so that they fold up and out of the way when we want to surf or fill the bags up more.  I mounted them to the engine divider so that the entire assembly can be removed for maintenance.  I can get some photos this weekend when I am down there if anyone would like to see how they are set up.    

Here are the pictures of the rear shelves that I added to the back of my 2004 LSV.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

First 2 pictures are of the shelf attached to the port side engine divider.  I added braces to the panel earlier in the season since we upgraded the ballast to 900 lb bags.  The braces are aluminum channel from Home Depot and are attached with rivets.  The shelves are attached to the panels where the braces are located to add support.  Currently they are folded up as they would be if you were to fill the bags to max capacity.  I typically use a bungee to hold the shelf up like this.  These were the test ones, and were made of 1/2" pressure treated plywood.  Planning on remaking them from HDPE or something similar in the future.  3" aluminum "piano" hinges (1.5" of metal on each side of pivot point).  11" from the floor to the bottom of shelves, allows for 400-500 lbs of weight. 

Rear Shelf 1.JPG

Rear Shelf 2.JPG

Here the shelf is laid out like it would be if you were using as a shelf.  The little bungee is left over from the factory table.  

Screws went all the way thru the wood and the points were ground off.  

570285173625c_Rearshelf3.JPG.76f496230b1

Here is a picture of the underside of the whole shelf.  The outer side of the board that contacts the hull is cut on an angle to maximize the contact with the hull to add support.  This is not just an optical illusion. 

5702855375298_RearShelf4.JPG.6f19ccb387a

Shelf and panel are in the boat.  Retracted max fill position.  Couldn't find my bungee to hold it for the photo.  When folded it fits between the gel and the carpet. 

Ballast bag has not made it back into the boat for the season yet.  My drain pump is housed inside of the 4" PVC pipe at stern of the boat in the photo.  Aerator style.

57028718b30f1_RearShelf5.JPG.3f7a0219809

Shelf folded out.  It does not take up the whole compartment as seen in the photo.  Would be way to hard to remove.  I have a trash can that fits up near the carpeted area on top of the shelf.  The vent line can be seen in the photo.  plenty of room to route them.   

5702871ee1ece_RearShelf6.JPG.6dc362c1d8e

5702894f2dc1b_RearShelf7.JPG.cafa976f99f

Middle right of this photo you can see the shelf making contact with the carpet on the hull.

570289596fa77_RearShelf8.JPG.1143978ddf6

• 5 years later...

check out these cool ballast locker nets from hyperryd designs  https://hyperryddesigns.com/shop/ols/products/locker-nets

20 hours ago, Jbort said:

check out these cool ballast locker nets from hyperryd designs  https://hyperryddesigns.com/shop/ols/products/locker-nets

Overpriced by  country mile.

22 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Overpriced by  country mile.

Perhaps.  However, if I were to suggest it took 4 hours to fabricate something like this, source all the materials, etc., it starts to seem reasonable, particularly when we have a short season, family obligations, work, etc.  I'm not sure I'd be interested in investing that much time when there's already a commercially viable solution.  

That said, I do like this.  I'm considering getting it for my new boat to free up some under seat storage.  It's a great idea, it allows air to flow through, it's adjacent to a heat source, and for $200 and a few minutes of installation time, it makes sense to me.  Anyone on here have them and interested in offering an opinion on quality and function? 

I added folding hooks to the engine side panels of my A20. Great for ropes, life jackets and other soft hanging items. They work great!

This might be a project I try to tackle this year. and for the center seat of my VRide. My goal is to Thermo Form 1/16" abs or polyethylene with a lip, much like the pizza trays (not available for my year vride bc of engine clearance)

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

Perhaps.  However, if I were to suggest it took 4 hours to fabricate something like this, source all the materials, etc., it starts to seem reasonable, particularly when we have a short season, family obligations, work, etc.  I'm not sure I'd be interested in investing that much time when there's already a commercially viable solution.  

1" webbing is about 50 cents a yard in bulk.  I have had lots of custom straps/nets done for boating, skiing etc. and sewing is pretty cheap.  1" webbing is easy to sew on a home machine, too.  

But I do get the convience angle.  I'm not just willing to pay 10-fold for it.  YMMV (BTW, the mesh nets I posted are like $20 bucks a piece od less and frankly, the fact they are springy makes more sense to me.)

1 hour ago, smileysteve said:

This might be a project I try to tackle this year. and for the center seat of my VRide. My goal is to Thermo Form 1/16" abs or polyethylene with a lip, much like the pizza trays (not available for my year vride bc of engine clearance)

I had some electronics enclosures made of out ABS - really cheap and they glued the sides on to make a box.  Sounds like a good project.

39 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

(BTW, the mesh nets I posted are like $20 bucks a piece od less and frankly, the fact they are springy makes more sense to me.)

I don't see the nets you posted, did I miss something?