Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 tower and LED Light bar

Cmb396

Anyone installed one? My last boat had a 20" double row led light bar mounted in the tower and was fantastic for night driving.

Looks like there's room in the G3 for a 30" curved, and it won't interfere with the Bimini top. (I have one of these on my rzr 1k and its like driving at daytime when it's dark!!)

My question is if anyone has installed one, did they use clamps or mount to the tower bar? Also, is it hard to snake wires thru the tower to wire the light. Not a huge fan of zip tied wires on the outside, but so be it if necessary. Lemme know, thanks!

• Like 1

None of the water cops around here ever enforced it either until they started reading their own regulations. At some point you will probably get stopped because according to the USCG it is not permitted. It is catogorized as a "navigational hazard" as it could potentially white out the anchor and or the navigational lights so you can't tell which way the boat is going or if it is anchored. This is especially heinous if you happen to boat around commercial traffic like we do. 

Understood, and I doubt the Barney fife DNR agents around here in WV would go as far as to research something.

Only time I use it is heading back up river late night when there is no other traffic. Where our lot is gets super dark after hours!!

So if anyone else could care help with my questions I'd appreciate it...not too concerned with legalities of having a light bar.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you cmb396. I'm all about following the law and all that but I know that I have been out at night where it's pitch black, in areas that have zero navigational markers, no other boats for miles, and nothing but a few stars to try and navigate on. I get the fact that running with them can be disorienting to other boaters, and I'd never want that. But I also feel like it might be helpful to have a light bar just to click on and off here and there to make sure you are a safe distance from a shore line or possible obstruction. Up River on Lake Travis at night is no joke especially since the levels are constantly changing. As I stated before, I know that light bars can be disorienting, I get that. Just wonder how many boaters have gitten into accidents that wouldn't have if they had a light bar. I guess the other side of the coin is "how many accidents have been prevented because light bars are prohibited".......

So when I had my boat in the audio shop last week to have a few things done, I had him wire for a light bar. He said snaking the wire thru the tower was easy, and he installed a switch below the touchscreen. Now just need to decide on a tower and clamps for install.

^Texas, I'm with ya, heading up river to our lot, after a certain point is pitch black with zero lighting, rather be safe then sorry in those situations.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2016 at 11:44 AM, Cmb396 said:

So when I had my boat in the audio shop last week to have a few things done, I had him wire for a light bar. He said snaking the wire thru the tower was easy, and he installed a switch below the touchscreen. Now just need to decide on a tower and clamps for install.

^Texas, I'm with ya, heading up river to our lot, after a certain point is pitch black with zero lighting, rather be safe then sorry in those situations.

Photo's ? of final install please

5 hours ago, Jusmud said:

Photo's ? of final install please

Just got my clamps last night, so I will try to get it put in one day this week.

i ordered a 30" curved LED light from Super Atv, I had previously bought one for my rzr 1k, and it's a great piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a day of sunshine and my led put on. The wires are ran thru the tower, and the switch is to the right of the seat beside the fuse panel.

will get some night pics hopefully soon. I have the same light on my RZR 1k, and it's bright! will make navigating late night on a DARK river much easier and safer!!

http://7EB18B4B-1F0D-4813-94B0-C8E734EB9275_zps

http://87E31C5D-E17E-4C45-AB34-3085F126456D_zps

http://EDF884E8-F19E-4C67-B862-7BCBEF91692A_zps

I agree looks pretty good! Where did you get the brackets? I didn't see the brackets on the website. Also any interference when you lower the tower or people smacking their melon on it?

• Like 2

Found the brackets somewhere on Amazon, I just searched 3" tower brackets. They were 20 bucks maybe, but seem to be pretty nice, with a good finish on them.

I haven't folded the tower down, which I doubt I ever will. It won't fit in my current garage, so I'm going to build a garage, and I'll just put a large enough door in so I dont have to collapse the tower.

As for height, I'm 6'0, and I have about 3" of clearance, anyone taller than 6'3 will have to duck, but, I can always rotate it upwards and gain another 2-3" of clearance.

I have one friend that is 6'2, so it won't ever be an issue.

I have kicked that idea around but was afraid of how it would look. 

Yours turned out awesome. Post pictures of how it does on the water at night. 

If it ever stops flippin raining here I'll get a night pic! Suppose to be 58 and rain all day tomm, this northeast weather is BS!

This was really a safety mod for me, wasn't too concerned about looks, but functionality. We boat on rivers, and there's always stuff floating down, and several trees sticking out of the water thy have gotten lodged. Coming back to our lot at night is dangerous. Had a buddy that sunk his Mastercraft last year by hitting a log at night. Of course, he was hauling a** too.

20 hours ago, Cmb396 said:

Finally got a day of sunshine and my led put on. The wires are ran thru the tower, and the switch is to the right of the seat beside the fuse panel.

will get some night pics hopefully soon. I have the same light on my RZR 1k, and it's bright! will make navigating late night on a DARK river much easier and safer!!

http://7EB18B4B-1F0D-4813-94B0-C8E734EB9275_zps

http://87E31C5D-E17E-4C45-AB34-3085F126456D_zps

http://EDF884E8-F19E-4C67-B862-7BCBEF91692A_zps

Nicely done..

• 2 months later...

This is awesome!  I am wanting to do the same with my 2014 22MXZ.  I can't find chrome brackets like you have in the picture anywhere.  Do you happen to know the brand of them?  Also were you able to wire in a way where the light bar turns on/off using the boat touch screen display or did you have to install a toggle switch?

Edited by uclanc
On July 19, 2016 at 4:31 PM, uclanc said:

This is awesome!  I am wanting to do the same with my 2014 22MXZ.  I can't find chrome brackets like you have in the picture anywhere.  Do you happen to know the brand of them?  Also were you able to wire in a way where the light bar turns on/off using the boat touch screen display or did you have to install a toggle switch?

Extra Large Wakeboard Tower Speaker Clamp - 3", 2 7/8", or 2 3/4" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CA5TZEK/ref=cm_sw_r_api_DQvKxbXBWC37W

as for the touchscreen, I guess you you wire in bc there is a "button" for it. Not sure how you'd go about finding which pin to wire it to tho. I just installed the toggle that came with it from super ATV.

http://www.superatv.com/12V20A-Off-Road-Rocker-Switches-P11605C63.aspx