Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

input please!!!!!!!!

Ok let me try to explain this. took the boat out today for a little ride before this years service. after about 1.5 hours of just cruising at around 27mph my rpm drop to a idle boat never died. in let it idle for about a minute and took off just like nothing happened. 10 minutes later it does the same thing.did it about 6 times before i got it to the trailer. it did this the last trip out last season to but it thought i found the problem, a leaf blocking the vent to the gas tank. i thought it was suction on the tank i guess. so do y'all have any suggestions? how can you test the fuel pump if it only does it every now and then? ok guy tell me what you think. oh it is a 2004 wake setter 23lsv 340 monsoon

On most Indmars there's a sender for the temp gauge and a seperate temp switch that will put the boat into limp mode. Same for oil pressure. You could have good gauge senders and bad engine manangement senders. Any alarms?

no alarms or anything. i can literally let it idle for 1 minute then its fine. i just can figure it out. oil pressure doesn't drop suddenly or anything. I'm thinking vapor lock also

i bet if you take off the fuel filter there will be debris.

also, I'm not sure about the years, but I've heard on the forum that some malibus have two filters, one at engine and another at the tank.

its the best I've got 

Vapor lock usually happens after shutting off a warm engine and leaving it heat soak for a while before trying to start it again. 

Indmar fuel pumps are infamous to failing (mine did at <200 hrs)..

• Like 3
martinarcher

The fact that the boat doesn't shut off when it happens but returns to idle makes me think it's something the ECU is doing.  The fact that the engine temp and oil pressure look alright via the gauges makes me wonder if you've got a intermittent connection that is causing the ECU to decide to bring you to idle then letting you go after that.  I would pull the temp and oil pressure sender connectors and have a peek and hit them with some contact cleaner.  That's a good start and a cheap money well spent maintenance thing you can do as a first step.

Other questions, does the boat just smoothly comes to idle or does it studder when it happens?  Does it idle smoothly or does it idle rough when it happens?  Do you have to let it idle for a full minute or can you pretty much get right back on it and get back on plane?

Good luck!

It shutters just a little bit right as it shutting down but idles smooth as silk. I can't go right back into it. It's like it's starving for fuel. But after a minute or so it will plane out perfect and run smooth

9 hours ago, JBACHMAN13 said:

It shutters just a little bit right as it shutting down but idles smooth as silk. I can't go right back into it. It's like it's starving for fuel. But after a minute or so it will plane out perfect and run smooth

If it is fuel related, a fuel pressure gauge would confirm it.

• Like 2
martinarcher

Do you have a pressure gauge?  If I remember right the full rail has a Schaurader valve on it you can use to check pressure.  I think I have a gauge somewhere.  If you don't have one (and I can find mine) I could send it to check your pressure if you want to cover shipping. 

Martinarcher. Thanks for the offer. I'm just goimg to take it to the local malibu shop and let them check it out when they do a service. 

• Like 2
On 3/28/2016 at 8:07 PM, martinarcher said:

Do you have a pressure gauge?  If I remember right the full rail has a Schaurader valve on it you can use to check pressure.  I think I have a gauge somewhere.  If you don't have one (and I can find mine) I could send it to check your pressure if you want to cover shipping. 

That's a great offer!  One of the reasons the Crew rocks!:werule:

• Like 1