Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My Gas Cap Fell Off

So let me set the seen. 8 am at the marian getting ready to go injoy all the glassy water. the pump boy is pumping my gas and im bring the ice back to the boat. the pump boy reachs for the gas cap to screw it back on and the the cap comes off of the string its attached to, rolls out of his and right in to the water Mad.gifMad.gifCry.gif so that hole event pretty much ruind my hole last day of my vacation and when i stoped at my dealer yesterday on my way back it turns out that so many frigin gas caps fall off, there on back order right now Mad.gif so right now i have a great looking patch of dutch tape on the side of my boat that reads "this is bulls*ht"

so the hole reason for this thread, besides leting me vent, is i was wondering if anyone has got rid of the little flibsy string that holds there gas cap, and replaced it with a chain or anything.

Should've sent the pump boy after it.

I have one cap chain broken, I like it better being able to take the cap off completly instead of it hanging on the gel coat while I'm filling up at the dock out of cans. When I fill at a gas station (rarely) I use the side that has the chain connected. I would reallyy rather the chain wasn't there too so the fill nozzle boot would close off the fill opening better.

I tend to agree with Ronnie about the cap laying on the gelcoat while you are filling. Since we fill up almost entirely at a gas station, the chain isn't really that important. The only good thing about it is that I never forget to put the cap back on!

If you go to a hardware store, you should be able to find a PVC replacement for your gas cap, we did it when the cap on our 99 sport nautique's decided to go for a diving contest. It doesn't look exactly amazing, but it does work better than a piece of duct tape, and it also wont leave glue residue...

Edited by DRAGON88
If you go to a hardware store, you should be able to find a PVC replacement for your gas cap, we did it when the cap on our 99 sport nautique's decided to go for a diving contest. It doesn't look exactly amazing, but it does work better than a piece of duct tape, and it also wont leave glue residue...

thats a great idea, i think ill probly try that until the new cap comes in

Same exact thing happend to me 3 years ago. The attendant was banging the nozzle around and somehow broke the chain off. Splash!!!

The idiot said, "your cap fell off". I was furious.

I fill up off the water now so it's not an issue. BTW, the caps are not cheap. I have a spare just in case.

My gas cap fell off too - fortunately it was at a gas station out of the water, but it was annoying to have it bang down the side of the boat and into the trailer.....

My gas cap fell off too - fortunately it was at a gas station out of the water, but it was annoying to have it bang down the side of the boat and into the trailer.....

that had to be music to your years :lol:

Whoooaa! Don't like to hear about stuff like this. I think I'll get an extra one just in case so as not to ruin a day on the water. Sorry about your experience but thanks for the warning.

Whoooaa! Don't like to hear about stuff like this. I think I'll get an extra one just in case so as not to ruin a day on the water. Sorry about your experience but thanks for the warning.

it would be the smart thing to do, i kno im getting a spar now.

Anyone ever have to replace an old cap like on my 1990 Bu?

It's black plastic, with a fairly fine thread.

You can see a pic in my profile at wakesiderides.

Happened to me last year. Just went to the marine supply and they have all different sizes and costs to fit most applications. Now I have a "cheap" plastic one as a spare so I don't have to do the rag in the whole or the duct tape thing. I think the main problem is that the pump nozzle rests against the chain and causes it to separate.....Splash!!!!!

Anyone ever have to replace an old cap like on my 1990 Bu?

It's black plastic, with a fairly fine thread.

You can see a pic in my profile at wakesiderides.

I think the main problem is that the pump nozzle rests against the chain and causes it to separate.....Splash!!!!!

thats part of the problem but the main reason they fall off is because the wire is crimped to the cap and not soterd