Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge Making Engine Surge

I have a 2013 Response TXI and when I have the wedge in the position creating the biggest wake (45 degrees) the boat will suddenly start surging until I move the wedge the full way down. The boat has always surged when hitting waves with the wedge down, but now its happening on flat water. Also the boat never surges when using cruise control with the wedge up.

Has anyone had similar troubles ? 

Thanks.

Do you have GPS cruise or paddle wheel?  I never had much luck with the paddlewheel not surging when under a load for wakeboarding or surfing.  The GPS cruiser held speed much better.  You can add Malibu GPS cruise very easily to the 2013 models.

I could be wrong, as "surging" is generally used to describe engine revs, but I suspect you might be referring to the "bouncing" effect that occurs when the bow rises and falls when there is too much downforce generated by the wedge and not enough weight in bow.  It is usually associated with smaller boats.  My old VTX used to suffer from this effect - I had to reduce the angle of the wedge to compensate (never tried but I suspect a bow sac would also solve the problem).  My 22VLX hasn't exhibited the behaviour - I assume because it is bigger.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's just my experience :)

Sounds to me like you need to change your prop. We had exactly this on our VLX when we added ballast (Same effect as your power wedge), the perfect pass would push to full throttle to get on the plane but overshoot when we got there hence the surging. We changed our prop from a 537 to a 1235 and it was like having a new boat! I would have not believed the difference and no surging when full of ballast. 

• Like 2

You have your wedge at 45 degrees? How many clicks up is that? Most folks I hear run theirs at 2-3 clicks up (likewise) which is nowhere near 45 deg but then again I may be misunderstanding your original post or, that is indeed what a Response needs to run at. All I know is 45deg on my boat puts an enormous of drag on the boat and motor.  

Edited by jgates237
On 24 March 2016 at 7:05 PM, PeteOOXXOO said:

I could be wrong, as "surging" is generally used to describe engine revs, but I suspect you might be referring to the "bouncing" effect that occurs when the bow rises and falls when there is too much downforce generated by the wedge and not enough weight in bow.  It is usually associated with smaller boats.  My old VTX used to suffer from this effect - I had to reduce the angle of the wedge to compensate (never tried but I suspect a bow sac would also solve the problem).  My 22VLX hasn't exhibited the behaviour - I assume because it is bigger.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's just my experience :)

We don't really get the bouncing effect. The engine revs do surge by around 500rpm when it happens. 

On 24 March 2016 at 3:13 AM, jgates237 said:

You have your wedge at 45 degrees? How many clicks up is that? Most folks I hear run theirs at 2-3 clicks up (likewise) which is nowhere near 45 deg but then again I may be misunderstanding your original post or, that is indeed what a Response needs to run at. All I know is 45deg on my boat puts an enormous of drag on the boat and motor.  

Its probably a little more then 45 degrees, I'm not sure how many clicks up that it is. But its usually positioned where there is only a tiny amount of green above the wedge icon when looking at the maliview. 

On 24 March 2016 at 5:34 AM, Fman said:

As others mentioned could be porpoising from too much wedge and not enough bow weight.  Does the boat surge when you tow a wake boarder with ballast?

Haven't tried with fat sacks in the boat but it does still surge when we have 8 people all to the middle/front of the boat.