Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need 2 vent lines with connected bags?

minnmarker

I want to add a ski locker bag and fill/drain it with the impeller pump that now fills/drains the bow bag.

Current: Below water line thru hull TO pump TO under seat bow bag TO vent line TO check valve TO above waterline thru hull.  All 1" tubing.

I'm thinking of adding a Wye fitting to the tube where it runs through the observer compartment and then a branch into the ski locker with a valve just before it goes into the bag.  The valve would be right by the driver's feet under the non-locking ski locker hatch.  My thinking is that with this valve open the water will flow mostly to the lower ski locker bag.  When the locker bag is full then I'll shut the valve and finish filling the bow bag - which is protected by the vent line.  If I forget to close the valve then the locker hatch will be pushed open and/or water will just flow to the bow bag.  There would not be a valve between the Wye and the bow bag.

Question: Do I risk anything by not putting a vent on the ski locker bag? - or is it effectively vented by the line going up to the bow bag?

56f2c427bada8_BuBallast.1b.thumb.jpg.a57

I don't think you would have to vent the ski locker but for 40 bucks more in parts why not just vent it. 

I also would add valve for the bow bag.  If you don't want to run that bag you have no way of stopping the water.  Water will flow out of both Y's even if one is lower. 

There are a few reasons reasons for the vent line.  One is to let you know the bags are full. Another is to relieve excessive pressure in the bag caused by leaving the pump running too long.  A third is to burp the bag of any air while filling.  You will have the first 2 features, but not the 3rd (for the ski locker bag).  This is usually not a problem if you manually burp them 1st time out in the season.

The overflow from a top fitting on the lower sac vent to a lower fitting on the upper sac. Both sac fill and upper sac gravity drain back into the lower sac as its pumped out. Vent the upper sac as you have illustrated. 

Interesting concept. To your original question. Without venting a bag you always have a chance of blowing a fitting. I will also add that being able to isolate a bag (valve) is always better just in case something goes bad in the system you won't lose a bag full of water in your boat. But my opinion is that this could work. Some variables that may give you some problems are the elevation difference and the time difference in filling the bags. In a perfect scenario they would both fill at the same time. ( Not sure what size bags your using)  I know you said you plan on shutting the locker valve when it fills but the big question is what will happen if (when) the valve doesn't get turned off.  Keep us posted on how it works out.

BTW. I used Bosworth valve worked great on my system.

https://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

As someone who tried these fill the ski locker bag and overflow to the bow bag trick...it doesn't work.  Just vent both with a proper valve. 

I have one impeller pump that fills my locker/bow bag - it does it in about the same time as it takes to fill my 1100 in my rear locker, so timing is perfect.  I also dump above the water line, which I much prefer over the previous below-line setup.

3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

As someone who tried these fill the ski locker bag and overflow to the bow bag trick...it doesn't work.  Just vent both with a proper valve. 

I have one impeller pump that fills my locker/bow bag - it does it in about the same time as it takes to fill my 1100 in my rear locker, so timing is perfect.  I also dump above the water line, which I much prefer over the previous below-line setup.

Nitrous,  To clarify, in the setup that did not work, did you run a line from the pump to the ski locker bag and then from another port on the ski locker bag to the bow bag - or did you run off a wye like my picture above?

Also, on your new setup, where did you put the valve and valve handle?

Note: I'm wanting to minimize lines in the ski locker because I want to use it for skis when it's not full of water.

11 hours ago, Simo said:

BTW. I used Bosworth valve worked great on my system.

https://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

Simo, where did you put the valve and valve handle?

On my 2000 LSV there was a board that divided the ski locker and left a space of about 6-8". I mounted the pump there and the valve was at the bottom. If your doesn't have one they would be easy to make and install. I've also seen some Bosworth valves placed in the observer compartment and at helm near where your left leg would be.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/dsimonson47/media/IMG_4535_zpse8088f83.jpg.html?o=3

Edited by Simo
8 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's weird.  My rear tanks overflow into bags just fine.  Through hull, valve, pump, antisiphon to port 1 of tank, port 2 of tank to bag. Have a vent on the bag. 

20 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Nitrous,  To clarify, in the setup that did not work, did you run a line from the pump to the ski locker bag and then from another port on the ski locker bag to the bow bag - or did you run off a wye like my picture above?

Also, on your new setup, where did you put the valve and valve handle?

Note: I'm wanting to minimize lines in the ski locker because I want to use it for skis when it's not full of water.

Pump to locker bag, locker bag out to bow bag (with Y fittings to both ports out of the locker bag).  Didn't work.  The Y-fitting feeding both at the same time is a bad idea as they are different sizes; front bag will be pushing the seats up if trying to fill when full while the locker is still filling.

I bought the (super expensive) fly-high diverter valve and mounted it through the seat base under the observer seat.  This way I can easily reach down from the driver's seat and switch it. 

15 hours ago, Technicallyabu said:

That's weird.  My rear tanks overflow into bags just fine.  Through hull, valve, pump, antisiphon to port 1 of tank, port 2 of tank to bag. Have a vent on the bag. 

Tanks and bags are two different things.  A tank to a bag is fine (though typically slow).  Not so good with a bag unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The Y-fitting feeding both at the same time is a bad idea as they are different sizes; front bag will be pushing the seats up if trying to fill when full while the locker is still filling.

Thanks Nitrous.  That clarifies it.  I thought that the bow bag would fill more slowly since it was higher, but the elevation must not make much difference.

I'm not always on the boat and am trying to make the "systems" as simple as possible. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time and place - especially if you're not there to fix it...

On 3/25/2016 at 5:34 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I bought the (super expensive) fly-high diverter valve and mounted it through the seat base under the observer seat.  This way I can easily reach down from the driver's seat and switch it. 

I ordered the Bosworth valve.  Now trying to figure out how to route two 1" hoses (fill/drain, vent) into the ski locker and still be able to use it to store skis when the bag is empty.  Any ideas out there?