Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brown Santa came to my house...

malibuskier2003

I bought this board at the Sacramento boat show.  However, it will be a while before I am on it.  I'm not addicted enough to get in the water before late May or June.

Dave

54 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I'm currently on vacation about a mile from the Victoria headquarters on Laguna Canyon Road. Every time I drive by I wonder if it's worth dropping in for a visit???

I vote you stop by/make contact and get a tour as research & "homework assignment" to report back to TMC. I'm sure there are at least a few people interested if what you learn.

25 minutes ago, mikeo said:

I vote you stop by/make contact and get a tour as research & "homework assignment" to report back to TMC. I'm sure there are at least a few people interested if what you learn.

Me: Good morning, fellas!  Mind if I come in for a look see?

Vic: Ummm... who are you?

Me: My name is IXFE and this is a surprise inspection sactioned by TMC! 

Vic: Do you have a warrant?

Me: Not exactly, but dozens of my closest Internet friends are counting on me. Now are we gonna do this or what?  Let's start with the factory demos and blems! :lol:

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Me: Good morning, fellas!  Mind if I come in for a look see?

Vic: Ummm... who are you?

Me: My name is IXFE and this is a surprise inspection sactioned by TMC! 

Vic: Do you have a warrant?

Me: Not exactly, but dozens of my closest Internet friends are counting on me. Now are we gonna do this or what?  Let's start with the factory demos and blems! :lol:

I had good luck calling Malibu (obviously), Indmar, PTM/ProtoMet, Great Lakes Boat Top, and Apex/Commercial Sewing and getting tours. I called OJ Props and asked if I could stop by/have a tour and they told me that they thought they had industry trade secrets that could be revealed if someone was given a tour.

It can't hurt to ask; I'm over 80% on getting tours from calling and asking.

I will actually be driving down to Laguna tomorrow to go down to the shop to hangout and skimboard. I'll be there in the afternoon and all day Thursday if you want to stop by. 

That location is the skimboard retail store, offices, and shipping warehouse. They have a skim museum set up showing the first boards used, wacky shapes from the 80s and 90s, and all the way to current boards. This is Victoria's 40th anniversary. The founder and owner is at the shop everyday. If you are around on Saturday, the owner Tex hosts Saturday session in the morning and brings coffee and donuts to the beach (location changes week to week) for everyone while they skim and hangout. I went last time I was down and it was fun seeing people learn (myself included) and pros killing it, and I'll be there this Saturday too since I'll be there  

The boards are made in San Clemente because Laguna doesn't allow manufacturing using fiberglass and resins any longer. So they wouldn't be able to show you production. But the shaping booth for prototypes is still in Laguna. 

• Like 3
On March 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Pnwrider said:

Post up a review of what you think then. For some reason I connected the wrong dots. I thought I read someone bought a debut at their boat show...

That was me. Got the debut for my wife and son who have been riding my IS swallow which is way to big for them. I am really interested in the captain. I am torn between a captain or seeing if they will do a custom factor. Haven't made the call because I'm not ready but one of those two will be my next board. Hey malibuskier2003, if you want me to come down and give that board a shakedown while you wait for things to warm up, let me know. ;-)

Shout out (within a thread) to NorCal Mastercraft!  I had some cosmetic damage on my new Victoria Captain, so a new one is on the way direct from Victoria.  I love companies that take care of business....

Dave

31 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

What does the bidding start at on the damaged one?

I have no clue.  I'm sending it back to NorCal Mastercraft.  I guess you could call them and see what kind of deal they would make on it.....

Dave

4 minutes ago, wakemitch said:

Did the navy resin of the tail dip blend into the white resin too much? 

Not so much that I couldn't live with it.  It might have actually turned into a character type thing to make the board unique.  I was more concerned about what looks to be a grinding scar down the edge.  Here's a picture:

20160324_172952.jpg

Dave

49 minutes ago, wakemitch said:

That looks like mishandling with how it was packaged. Probably too small of a box.

I'm stoked it got handled fast though 

That's what I thought.  To their credit, NorCal Mastercraft took care of it.  I'm very excited (as is my son) to get this thing out on the lake.  Let me know when you're on Shasta this summer and we'll see about a surf session.  We should be up there a ton with the new boat.

Dave