Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Could these be "issues" when buying a used boat?

Tommy1979

I spoke with the mechanic that winterized and summerized the boat that I'm in the process of buying. Some possible issues came up. ( '89 Malibu Euro F3, 925 hrs, Chevy 350) 

1) The guy took note that while winterizing, there was a noticeable amount of sand, pebbles, and debris that came out. Not sure on the extent but enough to take note of. 

2) The horn doesn't work and he said that it could be an issue if I ever needed to pass an inspection. 

3) He said that due to it's age, ONLY run non-ethanol gas. The owner said he has only used 87 at the pump.

No other noticeable issues came to his attention, although he wasn't exactly looking for problems. Would anything mentioned above be concerning to you experienced owners? 

4 hours ago, Tommy1979 said:

I spoke with the mechanic that winterized and summerized the boat that I'm in the process of buying. Some possible issues came up. ( '89 Malibu Euro F3, 925 hrs, Chevy 350) 

1) The guy took note that while winterizing, there was a noticeable amount of sand, pebbles, and debris that came out. Not sure on the extent but enough to take note of. 

2) The horn doesn't work and he said that it could be an issue if I ever needed to pass an inspection. 

3) He said that due to it's age, ONLY run non-ethanol gas. The owner said he has only used 87 at the pump.

No other noticeable issues came to his attention, although he wasn't exactly looking for problems. Would anything mentioned above be concerning to you experienced owners? 

1, Could indicate that the boat was beached, replace the impeller and flush the motor out if you are worried. 

2. Easy fix

3. The fuel issue is for the fuel lines and seals.  Being that finding ethanol free gas is difficult, I would replace the fuel lines and keep going. If it has a mechanical engine driven fuel pump replace that as well.  

You are looking at an older boat, all the problems listed are minor and repairable.  

Good luck and post some pics if you end up with it. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, REW said:

If it has a mechanical engine driven fuel pump replace that as well.  

What is the reason for that?

I agree with REW on the other points though.  Replacing the fuel lines is pretty quick and easy.

16 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

What is the reason for that?

I agree with REW on the other points though.  Replacing the fuel lines is pretty quick and easy.

The diaphragm on older mechanical pumps will not be designed for the effects of the ethanol.  Think flexible fuel line flapping up and down. The one on my MG did not make it past the first tank of modern gas.  

I can only add that in Michigan at least almost all marina gas is zero octane. It costs me a but more but I typically just fill on the water for peace of mind. 

5 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

I can only add that in Michigan at least almost all marina gas is zero octane. It costs me a but more but I typically just fill on the water for peace of mind. 

I THINK you meant to say "0 Ethanol" 

Just now, JB-FOOT said:

I THINK you meant to say "0 Ethanol" 

You are correct sir. And of course per your signature that 0 octane would probably make me Bust Out Another Thousand.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 95echelon said:

You are correct sir. And of course per your signature that 0 octane would probably make me Bust Out Another Thousand.

I think it would just make you Bust Out Another Paddle...:rofl:

I crack myself up! 

2 minutes ago, JB-FOOT said:

I think it would just make you Bust Out Another Paddle...:rofl:

I crack myself up! 

Last time I tried what you described the wifey made me sleep on the couch.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Last time I tried what you described the wifey made me sleep on the couch.

Well that did not take long.  Spring must be here. 

On 3/22/2016 at 2:37 AM, Tommy1979 said:

He said that due to it's age, ONLY run non-ethanol gas. The owner said he has only used 87 at the pump

octane and ethanol blended are two entirely different things. 

Go buy a horn at the auto parts store to make the lake patrol happy but get an air bottle horn for actual use

Sounds like the lake is a high sediment lake. 

That's an old boat. Old or new, boats are NOT like a car as far as maintenance, reliability and expectations.

Tell us a little about your boating experience thus far. Ever owned a boat? Helped friends maintain their boats? 

Boats often have issues small and large. How willing are you to overcome them and actually enjoy that part of the experience?

Steve B.

On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Steve B. said:

That's an old I'vet. Old or new, boats are NOT like a car as far as maint enance, reliability and expectations.

Tell us a little about your boating experience thus far. Ever owned a boat? Helped friends maintain their boats? 

Boats often have issues small and large. How willing are you to overcome them and actually enjoy that part of the experience?

Steve B.

Boating experience as of right now would be "less experience than a newbie". Every aspect of owning will be new to me. I have never owned a boat or really been around them. I never thought of owning one until I moved and ended up 2 miles down the street of a lake. I have been a passenger in boats from time to time, but never the driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, there is a neighbor or someone  easily available that has lots of boating experience to get you up to speed with less hassles.

The one I'm concerned about for you is overall boating safety. 

Wish we were more help. Good luck and have fun,

Steve B.

Think about taking an online boating safety course. The Wisconsin on my family has taken is quite good. Also see if there is a local water ski club. Might be someone there more than willing to give you some "at the helm" instruction.

On 4/1/2016 at 0:17 AM, Tommy1979 said:

Boating experience as of right now would be "less experience than a newbie". Every aspect of owning will be new to me. I have never owned a boat or really been around them. I never thought of owning one until I moved and ended up 2 miles down the street of a lake. I have been a passenger in boats from time to time, but never the driver. 

I have been boating for 18+ years.  Best thing I ever did was buy a used boat as my first boat.  That on your part is a smart move.  No sense in making "mistakes" on a brand new boat.

Suggest you take the Coast Guard Auxiliary basics then advanced seamanship training courses.  Pretty confident there are classes in your area.  I started enjoying boating much more when I understand the basics about boating and seamanship.  Took much of the mystery out even the simple task of launching and trailering, docking, rules of the road, etc....  

Congrats on getting the boat.  

• Like 1
On 3/22/2016 at 7:31 AM, REW said:

The one on my MG did not make it past the first tank of modern gas.  

It wasn't the fuel, it was the fact that it was an electrical part on an MG.  :-)  I spent hours in the trunk of my buddy's 71 MG trying to get those pumps to actually pump anything.  Ha!

To the original poster, if those are the only things that came up, I think you're good to move forward.  For an '89, you are looking for a boat with "good bones".  After that many seasons and hours, prepare to do some of your own repairs and tinkering to keep her on the water.  Silt and sediment is not uncommon when removing the block plugs during winterization.  In fact, it is highly recommended to stick a piece of wire up into the holes to break loose any sediment to insure all the water drains.  A few years ago when winterizing my boat, almost no water came out of one side when I removed a block plug...strange.  Stuck a little screwdriver up there and boom...floodgates opened.  Some dirt had settled right on top of the plug over the season.  And I boat in a lake that is very clear and hundreds of feet deep. 

I like the others suggestions about a portable air horn.  Way more effective than the little electric horns our boats are equipped with from the factory.

I have never had a problem with Ethanol in gas, even with my older carb-powered Malibus that I started with years ago.  Ethanol fuel should be number 107 on your list of things to be concerned about.

Good luck with the purchase!

-- Mike

One more thing to add since you're new to boating, I think taking a class would be a very smart thing to do.   This site can be a great resource, here is a link to the Idaho boating safety course:

http://www.boatus.org/idaho/

I sure there are a ton of good 'Crew guys and gals near you in Idaho...I am sure they'd meet you @ the ramp and give you some good tips on how to be safe, have fun, etc.

Youtube is also full of very helpful advice for boat owners.  Just one example:  Malibu did a nice video with Boating Mag about how to load and unload your inboard boat on the trailer at the dock:

And Kansas did a nice video on boating etiquette:

On 4/11/2016 at 8:22 AM, EchelonMike said:

It wasn't the fuel, it was the fact that it was an electrical part on an MG.  :-)  I spent hours in the trunk of my buddy's 71 MG trying to get those pumps to actually pump anything.  Ha!

To the original poster, if those are the only things that came up, I think you're good to move forward.  For an '89, you are looking for a boat with "good bones".  After that many seasons and hours, prepare to do some of your own repairs and tinkering to keep her on the water.  Silt and sediment is not uncommon when removing the block plugs during winterization.  In fact, it is highly recommended to stick a piece of wire up into the holes to break loose any sediment to insure all the water drains.  A few years ago when winterizing my boat, almost no water came out of one side when I removed a block plug...strange.  Stuck a little screwdriver up there and boom...floodgates opened.  Some dirt had settled right on top of the plug over the season.  And I boat in a lake that is very clear and hundreds of feet deep. 

I like the others suggestions about a portable air horn.  Way more effective than the little electric horns our boats are equipped with from the factory.

I have never had a problem with Ethanol in gas, even with my older carb-powered Malibus that I started with years ago.  Ethanol fuel should be number 107 on your list of things to be concerned about.

Good luck with the purchase!

-- Mike

Mine is a mechanical fuel pump,  the motor and transmission came out of a Nissan so it actually works.  Fuel pump failed then the carb started leaking, I replaced the fuel pump, overhauled the carb and replaced all fuel lines.