Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Won't Start!

Alright, I go to fire up the boat this morning on the ramp, still on the trailer, and all I get is a click when the ignition is turned, and then a click when the ignition is released. I figured dead battery, so after trying to jump-start the boat to no avail, I sent someone to run back and get a spare battery. Still nothing. I tried the original battery after charging it but it's still the same thing.

The boat is a 1998 Sunsetter VLX with the 325hp. Anyone have any suggestions? I didn't have a helper with me today to trace the electrical functions, and I'm not very good with engines anyway. Where should I start to find the problem? The tranny was in neutral and the lanyard was in.

Alright, I go to fire up the boat this morning on the ramp, still on the trailer, and all I get is a click when the ignition is turned, and then a click when the ignition is released. I figured dead battery, so after trying to jump-start the boat to no avail, I sent someone to run back and get a spare battery. Still nothing. I tried the original battery after charging it but it's still the same thing.

The boat is a 1998 Sunsetter VLX with the 325hp. Anyone have any suggestions? I didn't have a helper with me today to trace the electrical functions, and I'm not very good with engines anyway. Where should I start to find the problem? The tranny was in neutral and the lanyard was in.

Cheers.gif

The NSS could be one reason.

I would identify where the click is coming from. Is it just a click from some relay or other electric device (i.e. fuel pump etc.), or is a click from the starter. If it is not the starter clicking, ensure the battery is good under a load (sounds like you covered this by changing it out), Using a 12V test light (or volt meter), ensure that you have voltage coming out of the ignition switch when you turn the key on, and that when you turn it to the start position, the wire going to the starter has voltage. If it does, go to the starter and check for voltage there (the outside small terminal) when you turn the key to the start position. If you don't, find the neutral safety switch and with the key on and in neutral, you should see voltage on both terminals of the switch. If that is the case, unplug it and jump the connector terminals and see if it will turn over then.

If you have voltage at the starter (again the small terminal) when in the start position and the starter is clicking, I would consider replacing the solenoid, or both the starter and solenoid. If that is the original starter, it is now 8 years old.

Does your boat have a lanyard? Check it's connection as well in the same fashion.

Are all connections clean and tight?

Definitely check the connections on the NSS. Slurpee has crawled out from under the dash a couple of times now with a silly grin swearing he's going to put a new spade connector on that wire so it doesn't just fall loose all the time. :)

i've had the same shock of not being able to start er up

... but then realized that the throttle wasn't in neutral. DOH!

(this has happened to me a few times - you'd think i'd learn my lesson)

Thanks again everyone. The only thing that I did not try while the boat was sitting in the water was to physically tap on the starter. Once I did that today, the boat turned over. Apparently the starter was just stuck in a dead spot. Does this mean that the starter is going bad?

Thanks again everyone. The only thing that I did not try while the boat was sitting in the water was to physically tap on the starter. Once I did that today, the boat turned over. Apparently the starter was just stuck in a dead spot. Does this mean that the starter is going bad?

Starter or solenoid. For peace of mind, I would replace them both.