Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel thoughts

Socalbu

Looking for any real life experience from anyone that has owned or towed with one. First off, I can't believe I'm considering a Ram (never liked the front end look), but I have driven the big 3 and found it the most comfortable and best overall value.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Hemi, but then drove the 3.0 and was impressed! the Turbo winds up fast and its 420lbs of torque hits at 2000rpms.

The big downside you lose about 1000lbs. of towing capacity to 9,200Lbs with the 3.92 differential.

But the big upside is when its used 95% of the time you get 19 city, 27 hwy = 22 combined. In great state of Calif Regular is still running  at Costco $2.49 vs. 1.99 diesel.

My cabin is about 350 miles away each way, so I do a good amount of Hwy driving to get there.

Below is the model I'm considering. I want the four corner air suspension, but don't really care for the electric brake control. I also find the Ram Box intriguing so I can lock items up (firearms).

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/new/Ram/2016-Ram-1500-Caldwell-boise-c676d86b0a0e0a6b6dc3cd8a2ebb1634.htm?mycarsr=vdp-savedCars

Let the comments rip......

Hello,

I bought this exact model on Halloween . I love the is truck. I had a 2009 f150 lariat with the 5.4. In that truck i averaged 15.5 overall 18 why and 9 mpg while towing my 22vlx.

with ecodiesel Im averaging  25.5 overall 30-31 on freeway and 20 mpg while owning the boat.

I just hit 6,000 miles and no regrets. Oil changes are a little pricey.

I saw go for it.

If you plan on keeping it past 100,000 miles do a little research on the HP fuel pump gear that is pressed onto the cam. There are reports of this letting go causing catastrophic failure. Not sure if they have a fix for it yet. 

is there a way to manually shift the automatic transmission?

I see the PRND knob.  No L and no button to shift out of overdrive?

Edited by Bozboat
2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

is there a way to manually shift the automatic transmission?

I see the PRND knob.  No L and no button to shift out of overdrive?

The steering wheel has gear selection in manual mode.

My buddy has one and absolutely loves it.  Interior quality is best of the big 3 (IMO - and I have a 15 Ford F150 Platinum).  He has not towed with it yet though.

3 hours ago, Tims said:

If you plan on keeping it past 100,000 miles do a little research on the HP fuel pump gear that is pressed onto the cam. There are reports of this letting go causing catastrophic failure. Not sure if they have a fix for it yet. 

Interesting...I'll look into the fuel pump. I worry just as much about the engine being built by Fiat lasting 100,000 mile!

15 minutes ago, DAI said:

The steering wheel has gear selection in manual mode.

My buddy has one and absolutely loves it.  Interior quality is best of the big 3 (IMO - and I have a 15 Ford F150 Platinum).  He has not towed with it yet though.

At first I didn't like the knob shifter, but I like that its out of the way. I did mess with the manual shifter on the wheel and it seemed to work pretty well. The 8 speed gets pretty good reviews and I drove it for a good 30 min and didn't find it jumping around searching for the "right" gear.

Look up the limited model if you want to change the front end look.  Bought my first ram last sept after 20 years of another big 3. 2016 Ram 2500 cummins with ram boxes. Absolutely love the ram boxes. Add an electric rolling cover and you have tons of lockable space as the tailgate locks when the ram boxes lock. We  are so impressed, we have actually thought of your set up for a second vehicle. Yes it tickles me to pay less for diesel than premium once again (hope it stays).

11 hours ago, Socalbu said:

I worry just as much about the engine being built by Fiat lasting 100,000 mile!

I would worry about that also, but this one is from VM Motori.  Don't know if that's better though.  But it is pretty impressive.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/an-inside-look-at-the-ram-1500-3-0l-ecodiesel/

I have had one since '14 with and put about 33k miles on it. I am very happy with the mpg and the towing. I do worry about post warranty, but I personally worry about that with every truck. I actually can't wait until the warranty is over, because with a tune these are making more mpg and more power. I average 24.5mpg on winter blend diesel. I would recommend the tow package (brake controller, mirrors, and hitch)

I have a 15 and love it. I came from a 2011 Tundra. The only thing I miss about the Tundra is the turning radius. My favorite feature is the air suspension, not only does it provide a silky smooth ride but I am a dealer so I tow boats every day. I can lower the suspension, back up and get the ball under the tongue, then raise the suspension and get the ball into the tongue!! The motor and tranny blow me away, smooth power, never hunts for gears and the tow/haul mode works well towing a boat. I tow a lot of big boats and never a problem with power...plus the air suspension always keeps the truck level and riding smooth. I get 19.5 MPG in town with a mix of towing boats and 30 MPG on the hwy, loaded with family of 5, gear in the bed and the AC blowing. My wife's AWD Sienna minivan gets 16 MPG in town and 23 MPG on the hwy..

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, saxton15 said:

That's encouraging information.  I was considering a Tundra but the fuel economy for general driving does not impress me.  I'm heavily leaning towards a Ram.  

Tundra resale is great, fuel mileage terrible but fuel is cheap right now.

8 hours ago, Socalbu said:

Great feedback! So good I decided to pull the trigger! I drove everything and friends have the f150 wth the 3.5 Eco that I've used to pull the boat. Was completed impressed with towing but disappointed with gas mileage. I've already logged 1500 miles and averaged 26 mph. 

Will be towing in the next couple of days so I'm pretty anxious about how it will perform. 

I did get the air suspension and so far I am impressed. The ride is pretty dang good. 

image.jpeg

Nice rig!  The laramie edition comes pretty loaded!  The air suspension is a must on my list.

Congrats on the new ride!  If I were in the market for a 1500, that would likely be my choice.  My brother has a '14 (I think) Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel and he loves it.

As far as the fuel pump concerns, I do think they are real concern.  But it is also the same fuel pump used in both the DuraMax and the PowerStroke.  Chances for a failure are low, but bad fuel can = expensive problems.  

Bridgestone Dueler H/L on my '15.  Not too impressed with them this winter.  I would have swapped them out already if it wasn't leased. 

Sweet truck Socalbu!  Jealous of the air ride suspension. 

1 hour ago, Skin2Win said:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L on my '15.  Not too impressed with them this winter.  I would have swapped them out already if it wasn't leased. 

Sweet truck Socalbu!  Jealous of the air ride suspension. 

Too bad they can't seem to put decent tires on the 20" rim options.  On my 09 they used the Goodyear SR-A on the 17's which was actually a pretty decent tire for OEM.

I had goodyear HPs on my 2010 (20" wheels).  Put 75,000 on them and had the truck in deep sand and out in the water up to its limit of 30" on numerous (100+) occasions.  Never got stuck.  I rather liked them.

13 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I had goodyear HPs on my 2010 (20" wheels).  Put 75,000 on them and had the truck in deep sand and out in the water up to its limit of 30" on numerous (100+) occasions.  Never got stuck.  I rather liked them.

Guessing that there is no snow or ice where you live

Thanks everyone the more I drive it the more I like it! Need to get a power step and cover for the bed in the upcoming months. Not a big fan of the look of running boards 

It came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's with polished forged aluminum rims which are pretty solid  not a big fan of chrome but there was no way around it with the Limited    That's why I found one with the white bumpers  

My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has this diesel.  I have towed short distance with it, the MXZ is at the limits of capacity.  still had plenty of power, the Cherokee was the limiting factor.  I would not hesitate on a 1500 with this engine compared to the hemi. 

We have 37,000 on the jeep, it has been flawless.  As stated above oil changes are pricey! They require low ash euro oil.  ~$10/qt. 

If I were looking at a 1/2 ton truck that would be the setup!

12 hours ago, Socalbu said:

Thanks everyone the more I drive it the more I like it! Need to get a power step and cover for the bed in the upcoming months. Not a big fan of the look of running boards 

It came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's with polished forged aluminum rims which are pretty solid  not a big fan of chrome but there was no way around it with the Limited    That's why I found one with the white bumpers  

Running boards??  Just lower the air ride and hop in!!!  I'm not a fan of chrome either, which is why I got the blacked out version.  I think some black rims would look awfully nice with that white truck!!  :thumbup:

• Like 2