Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Docking Lights Self Instillation

bbattiste247

My boat is a 2016 23 LSV and it is prewired for docking lights. I would like to do the instillation myself, but is it risky? I am not a great mechanic, but I can drill holes. Is it pretty simple to drill through the fiberglass or is there a trick or something I must be aware of before drilling? Also, anyone aware if this would affect my warranty on the gel coat? What LED lights would you recommend? I like them bright.

Edited by bbattiste247
ahopkins22LSV

Start by using the drill in reverse to get through the gel coat. This will prevent spider cracking at the holes. I would thing you can just use the light itself as a template. And I would recommend Malibu's lights. They are pretty damn bright and look very good.

I would also use the same sealant that people use when installing underwater lights, but maybe that is over kill. I would want some sort of sealant between the light and the gel though. There is the potential that water can get in there.

painters tape the area to be drilled, run the drill in reverse until you get through the gel, drill the hole, get a drill bit a couple sizes bigger, run it in reverse until you get through the gel again to chamfer the hole and avoid spider cracking.