Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VTX vs 2015 VLX?

devklee

We were initially looking at a 2015 22 VLX but our current dock won't allow a 22 foot boat and as leaving the dock may not be an option, we have begun looking into the new 2016 VTX. Our current boat is a 2002 Crownlike 210 BR so my understanding is the VTX should be similar in size. I guess I'm just wondering what the Crew thinks about the VTX vs the VLX, both in the size department and overall. We are a family of 4 and an average day of boating usually consists of 6 people total. Is the VTX going to be too crowded, especially if we have a couple more than 6 people? I assume the VLX surfs better as it is a larger boat, and as we are interested in surfing the boat needs to surf well. Aside from the driving and wake of the boat, it seems to essentially just be a smaller version of the VLX, with the redesign for 2016. Any thoughts?

Well, I have never tested or been in a 2016 VTX so I cannot give you a firm opinion.

But compare to your Crownlike, it think you will be more comfortable it the VTX, cause the Swimplatform is not included in the size of the boat. If you add the swimplatform then you are easily as big as the Crownlike, or even bigger.

Before my first Bu (Vride 21) I had a Stingray 195, and man, it's like driving a BMW 1 series and then getting a 7 series :-)) I mean Malibu looks really bigger compare to the real size they are.

The best will be demoed one, and then you will have a better opinion if it is works for your needs or not.

ahopkins22LSV

Malibu did a great job with the new 2016 VTX in making it feel bigger then it is. We had 6 guys in it during a demo last fall at it was perfectly fine. The surf was was also amazing right out of the box with plug n play ballast, I forget what size the bags were though, sorry. I am very confident that with some time dialing in the wake it would be very very good. It is obviously smaller then the VLX so you don't have quite as much seating but I would not hesitate to buy one if I were you. 

I also agree with Smooky that you will be happier with either the VTX or VLX over your Crownline. The seating and storage layout is much better in v-drive inboards.

One last thing, the VTX will have a much better ski wake then the VLX so if anyone, or you, in your crew wants to take a ski set it will be better.

• Like 3

I want to ski a new VTX.  I really liked the one that I saw at the show last week.  It's a very well thought out boat.  If I ever get rid of my RLXI, it would be for a VTX.  Time will tell....depends on what the kids get into.

7 hours ago, devklee said:

We were initially looking at a 2015 22 VLX but our current dock won't allow a 22 foot boat and as leaving the dock may not be an option, we have begun looking into the new 2016 VTX. Our current boat is a 2002 Crownlike 210 BR so my understanding is the VTX should be similar in size. I guess I'm just wondering what the Crew thinks about the VTX vs the VLX, both in the size department and overall. We are a family of 4 and an average day of boating usually consists of 6 people total. Is the VTX going to be too crowded, especially if we have a couple more than 6 people? I assume the VLX surfs better as it is a larger boat, and as we are interested in surfing the boat needs to surf well. Aside from the driving and wake of the boat, it seems to essentially just be a smaller version of the VLX, with the redesign for 2016. Any thoughts?

The VLX is actually 21' 10", maybe this will help your issue with the dock and the 22' restriction?  Never been out in a VTX so can't help you there, seems like from what I have seen a 2016 VTX could handle 6 people with no issues.  I towed someone in my '15 VLX last year skiing, it is not a great slalom wake, "meh" at best... definitely nothing compared to a VTX.  So if you ski quite a bit I would sacrifice the size for a better slalom wake.  From what I have seen on this forum the VTX also looks like it can throw a good surf wave to have fun on.  I would recommend a demo on the water to see what you are purchasing and make sure the dealer has enough weight in the boat to create a good surf wave.

3 hours ago, Fman said:

The VLX is actually 21' 10", maybe this will help your issue with the dock and the 22' restriction?  Never been out in a VTX so can't help you there, seems like from what I have seen a 2016 VTX could handle 6 people with no issues.  I towed someone in my '15 VLX last year skiing, it is not a great slalom wake, "meh" at best... definitely nothing compared to a VTX.  So if you ski quite a bit I would sacrifice the size for a better slalom wake.  From what I have seen on this forum the VTX also looks like it can throw a good surf wave to have fun on.  I would recommend a demo on the water to see what you are purchasing and make sure the dealer has enough weight in the boat to create a good surf wave.

Hmm, that's interesting. When we talked to the lady from the dealership demoing the VLX with us she claimed that the brochure was inaccurate in its claim of 21' 10" and that the boat was even longer. Maybe she just meant including the swim platform it would be longer? We tried squeezing it into our current dock during the demo and at the 21,10 size it looked very large. We are planning on testing the VTX as soon as possible so I guess we'll see how it goes☺

I can not speak to a 2016 vtx but my 2013 will throw a very respectable surf wave. Since this boat has more freeboard surfing should be better if anything.  

6 people with ease. 10 adults would be crowded 8 not a problem.  

We regularly have 4 adults and 4 kids and never feel crowded, there is really not much of a difference in space btw a vtx and Vlx IMHO    

I am positive your dealer is giving you quotes about size including the swim platform  

$0.02...

Love my '13 VTX, but always feel it's a little small.  Buddy of mine got a 21 VLX the same year so we alternate, I so want to upgrade to the 22 ASAP. As a previous poster said, the VTX throws a respectable surf wave, but not impressive IMO.  I consider 6 adults the comfortable max, 8 the absolute max.  My VTX is best suited for 3 or 4 guys on after work surf sessions.  Larger, longer weekend days can get cramped.  

If it's the largest by your lake will allow, you won't regret it...it's a sweet little boat!  But if there is a way to swing it the VLX wins IMO.

Disclosure reminder; this is for the 2013s.  The deeper hull and other associated redesigns could have improved the VTX surf wave.

I've been in a new vtx and will say that it did not feel small at all. The extra width makes a huge difference. I would say for a whole day on the lake, a crew of 6 or 7 would be max for that boat. But I'm also not a fan of crowded boats. The surf wave was awesome. The boat I was on, had 450s in the rear pnp and I think 400 in lead up front. Not 100% sure on the lead. I would say the interior size was comparable to my old tige 21v. 

19 hours ago, devklee said:

Hmm, that's interesting. When we talked to the lady from the dealership demoing the VLX with us she claimed that the brochure was inaccurate in its claim of 21' 10" and that the boat was even longer. Maybe she just meant including the swim platform it would be longer? We tried squeezing it into our current dock during the demo and at the 21,10 size it looked very large. We are planning on testing the VTX as soon as possible so I guess we'll see how it goes☺

It's 22'2" if you pull a tape rub rail to rub rail.

17 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I can not speak to a 2016 vtx but my 2013 will throw a very respectable surf wave. Since this boat has more freeboard surfing should be better if anything.  

6 people with ease. 10 adults would be crowded 8 not a problem.  

We regularly have 4 adults and 4 kids and never feel crowded, there is really not much of a difference in space btw a vtx and Vlx IMHO    

I am positive your dealer is giving you quotes about size including the swim platform  

We usually have 5-7 people in our riding crew, I would not want a VTX if I had this size crew size all the time.  I sat in a new VTX at my dealer, you can immediately feel the smaller cabin area in the VTX - the foot of length you loose and narrower beam compared to the VLX is noticeable.  A large majority of the space is in the cabin area, Malibu is listing the new VTX with a 98" beam and VLX with 102" beam.  Probably the reason the VTX does not offer wake view seating, as you can see nobody would be able to sit in them.  The VTX is a cool boat, but definitely on the smaller side.

2016_Malibu_VTX_studio-ABOVE_lowres_zpsn

2016-22VLX_studio_TOP_lowres_zpsawi2zjrn

3 hours ago, Fman said:

We usually have 5-7 people in our riding crew, I would not want a VTX if I had this size crew size all the time.  I sat in a new VTX at my dealer, you can immediately feel the smaller cabin area in the VTX - the foot of length you loose and narrower beam compared to the VLX is noticeable.  A large majority of the space is in the cabin area, Malibu is listing the new VTX with a 98" beam and VLX with 102" beam.  Probably the reason the VTX does not offer wake view seating, as you can see nobody would be able to sit in them.  The VTX is a cool boat, but definitely on the smaller side.

2016_Malibu_VTX_studio-ABOVE_lowres_zpsn

I guess let me clarify,  If I did not like to Ski and I had around 7 adults all the time I would go with the LSV and just skip the VLX.  The VTX will handle the once in while trip of 8 adults.   I really don't see a significant difference in "space" between the two, obviously there are other features or reasons to choose the vlx.  The VTX handles 6 adults with out feeling cramped.  Now if I am going to have 6+ everytime out, or you don't care about skiing at all I would go with a vlx.

On 3/20/2016 at 3:32 AM, devklee said:

Can you tell us a little bit about the dock situation? Is it a slip issue, a lift issue, or a limitation from a marina / lake association? The two boats you are looking at are not drastically different in size. Another option you could consider is a lightly used 2014 VLX which is 21.5 feet.

5 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I guess let me clarify,  If I did not like to Ski and I had around 7 adults all the time I would go with the LSV and just skip the VLX.  The VTX will handle the once in while trip of 8 adults.   I really don't see a significant difference in "space" between the two, obviously there are other features or reasons to choose the vlx.  The VTX handles 6 adults with out feeling cramped.  Now if I am going to have 6+ everytime out, or you don't care about skiing at all I would go with a vlx.

Even when I sit in the LSV I can feel the difference in space compared to the VLX, every larger model bumps up the cabin area.  For me 6 adults in a VTX would be cramped, but hey to each is own.  I really do dig the new VTX redesign, its definitely a cool looking boat.

3 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Can you tell us a little bit about the dock situation? Is it a slip issue, a lift issue, or a limitation from a marina / lake association? The two boats you are looking at are not drastically different in size. Another option you could consider is a lightly used 2014 VLX which is 21.5 feet.

We are renting a slip at an apartment complex on our lake (no lift or anything too fancy) and the complex tells us that 21 feet is the maximum boat size we are allowed to have, as they don't want the boats to stick out any farther from the dock arms, which are 18 feet long. I'm pretty sure we've seen 22 foot boats moored there before and they recently changed managers so not too sure how strict they will be with the 21 foot restriction. 

10 hours ago, devklee said:

We are renting a slip at an apartment complex on our lake (no lift or anything too fancy) and the complex tells us that 21 feet is the maximum boat size we are allowed to have, as they don't want the boats to stick out any farther from the dock arms, which are 18 feet long. I'm pretty sure we've seen 22 foot boats moored there before and they recently changed managers so not too sure how strict they will be with the 21 foot restriction. 

Even if they allow a larger boat this year, they could start enforcing in future years.  Something to consider.