Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 lxi windshield

Drew5555

The chrome on the corners of the windshield (circular hole) pieces are peeling off. How can I fix this? Do I need to remove the entire windshield? Can I replace the two corner pieces that have the circular holes? Refinish them?

It's the chrome on both pieces. I would love to get it powder coated but don't know if I need to remove the entire windshield 

ahopkins22LSV

I believe the pieces are inserts held on with adhesive because I have heard of the entire piece falling off. I would try to find some other people to support this before I tried to pry them off though!

2009 and later had "chrome" plastic inserts that are attached to a powder coated piece. These have square-ish holes. The version with round holes was a solid piece, it's what supports the windshield. You might be able to get them off with out pulling the whole windshield but each section would need to be supported while they are off. 

It might be easier to have them painted on the boat especially if only the outside is deteriorating. You could have a shop do a good prep and spray them with a wrinkle finish paint which would make them look like the 2009 and up versions with out the chrome insert. 

That's what I was thinking. I called Malibu to see if they are covered under the warranty like the gel coat and paint is. I will let you know

I knew of a boat that had them replaced but that was quite a few years ago. Malibu replaced it with the full 2009 and up windshield. However this was before the switch to the TXI so they had parts on hand. 

ahopkins22LSV
13 hours ago, Wayne said:

2009 and later had "chrome" plastic inserts that are attached to a powder coated piece. These have square-ish holes. The version with round holes was a solid piece, it's what supports the windshield. You might be able to get them off with out pulling the whole windshield but each section would need to be supported while they are off. 

It might be easier to have them painted on the boat especially if only the outside is deteriorating. You could have a shop do a good prep and spray them with a wrinkle finish paint which would make them look like the 2009 and up versions with out the chrome insert. 

Thanks for clearing this up for me Wayne! Will store it in my memory box :crazy: