Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At what age did you buy your first Malibu

milo84

The first boat that I owned was a 1997 Bayliner Captiva 20' runabout...2nd was a 2004 Baja 202 Islander (my post-divorce party boat)...current boat is a 2014 Malibu MXZ 22.  I also have a little 14' bateau with a 20 hp Suzuki tiller handle to play around/fish in.  My 2 daughters are 11 and 9, they love watersports, just like their daddy!

First boat, 2002 Calabria Cal Air - bought in 08' at 23....no kids, no wife and living the dream

First Malibu, 2000 Response LX - 28, no kids, wife, first house

2 years into owning the Response and I love every minute of it.  Just had our first child and I can't wait to get him skiing and boarding!

First boat at Age 42:   1998 Mastercraft Prostar 205  Married moved to Oregon bought a boat 3 years later.  Always wanted a boat but was living in New Mexico.  Wife said not enough water near by to justify.  Kids were 7, 4 1/2, 3 at the time.

2nd boat 1st Malibu Age 44 - Bought a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXI.  Kids were 10, 7, 5 at the time.  Still own but soon to be gone.  Sold.  

3rd boat - Age 59  Placed the order this week!  2016 Malibu 23 LSV  Tentative spray date May 5th.  Kids grown up 24, 21, 19  1 year Golden Retriever 

first boat at 15. didnt even have a drivers licence. a 17ft chris craft javalina. loved that boat. had it for 3 years. rode it 3 times a week. put 2000 hours on it.

first malibu at 20. a 1998 vlx.  and ive owned 10 malibu's since then,

29 now and have a new a22.

• 1 month later...

Wife 21 yrs old in 1980 no kids 1980 16ft Cajun fish and ski, stolen replaced by 

1982 wife 23 yrs old 1978 16 ft Cajun fish and ski no kids 

Me 24 yrs old 1985 17 foot 1983 checkmate diplomat no kids

39  me and wife 41 year 2000 1998 20 ft 409 javelin fish and ski no kids caught several thousand speckled sea trout in that one(LA big creel limits)

53 me wife 55 in 2014 sorry, 2014 Axis A20, no kids

First boat ChrisCraft scorpion 186@16yrs old. bought with my siblings. then bought each out so I owned 100% at 18. Sold it to parents to pay for final semester of college.

18-owned sunfish sailboat rental business-6 boats. sold all to partially pay for senior year of college.

bought and lived on 30' Catalina sailboat age 23. Sold when moved to Milwaukee.

Got married, had kids, career...no boat for long time...?

Bought 1st Malibu-2000 sunsetter Lxi at 42yrs old. Finally got the honey-do list down to "buy ski boat". Married with 3 kids then ages 13, 11, 9. Love it. ????

Edited by braindamage

Bought my first jet ski in 2007.... Leftover rxp at 21....got married, built my own house, and 2 kids and Just picked up my first boat 2016 a20 just a few weeks shy of 30.... 

Last August, age 31, bought my first Malibu, a '96 Echelon LX. Wife also 31, son 6 and daughter 4. First boat I've personally owned, but my parents as well as close relatives have always had bowriders readily available to have fun behind. Given the price difference vs quality of a bowrider vs Malibu, it was a no-brainer. A few thousand is well worth the quality of the ride as well as the quantity of years left without significant maintenance. 

• 1 month later...

At age 19 I had my first ski boat, the original Stejcraft Malibu Skier, it was a model made in Australia and had a partnership with "Malibu" before they ended up in court and apparently Stejcraft was no longer able to use name"Malibu", I brought a boat before I had a car. Had that for 15 years, sold it for more than I paid for it and then brought my first "Malibu" at 34.

Technically I still haven't since my brother-in-law actually owns the "family" VTX.  He's SINK and so said he could afford it better than we (married, two teenagers, one about to begin Commercial Pilot training -- $$!), so I paid for a few needed repairs, new cover, new swim pad, IS Tako 5 wakesurf and 1235 prop. 

But for the record, I'm 54.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Swivel said:

Technically I still haven't since my brother-in-law actually owns the "family" VTX.  He's SINK and so said he could afford it better than we (married, two teenagers, one about to begin Commercial Pilot training -- $$!), so I paid for a few needed repairs, new cover, new swim pad, IS Tako 5 wakesurf and 1235 prop. 

But for the record, I'm 54.

sounds like a good deal without the outlay....