Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At what age did you buy your first Malibu

milo84

I bought my first Malibu at age 19, a 2000 Malibu sportster in 2007. Had a blast with it. Went out on a buddy's wake setter and after that it was immediately for sale ha. Since then I've bought a new axis's, a used 210, and a new f22.  Looked at a new '16 bu this year, but too much doe for me. Ended up ordering another new axis at age 28. Blue collar tradesman, just married, no kids yet. We love being on the water 

1st boat was 1980 4 Winns 17' run about in 1995 with 2 boys and a good learner boat at 35

2nd 1997 Rinker 212 run about. After my oldest son did a couple of sessions with Shawn Murray the Rinker wasn't cutting it anymore. 38

3rd new 2006 Moomba Outback V 20.5 and it was a great little boat for the money. 46

4th boat new '10 LSV. After having had a few too many bad experiences with MC owners in my run abouts and having stumbled across TMC and reading about wake surfing from S. Wheelhouse some may remember him ? I knew I had to get a boat to ride my very first and long forgotten surf board (6'2" Brewer) behind at 50. Getting old ain't for sissys, but surfing is! 

Edited by wdr

Age 33-14' row boat with with electric motor, no kids just some beer, coffee and good fishin!

Age 34-Razor Sail Boat

Age 45-2001  Crownline 238DB.  2 girls

Age 46-New 2012 Crownline E4.  Started wakeboarding...No clue about inboards!!

Age 49-2016 VLX.  Girls are now 11 & 13.  Can't wait to surf!

Bought my first boat at 18. 

2nd boat at 22 with one kid.

Now 26 and Just bought a 2013 malibu 23 lsv with 2 kids now. 5 and 1 1/2 yrs old. They are river rats already.

11 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

14....Dads 16 Ft Beech Craft

29...Blue Water Mirrage, I/O

32.....1996 Ski Sanger

45.... 2004 Malibu VLX

46....2010 Malibu VLX

51...2015 Malibu VLX

85....2016 M235....LOL

Not to derail. But you seem to have owned all of the vlx hulls since the v23 (although you skipped the regular v25). Aside from creature comforts like maliview etc. could you give us an insight on how the wake differed between them?

2008... First jet skis, 2 Seadoo RXDIs at 48

2009... Added a wake edition Seadoo Supercharged 215 at 49

2011... Sold both RXDIs and bought at 2006 Seadoo challenger 180 jet boat at 51 learned how to wakeboard with both of my kids, my son at 25 and daughter at 19; put 110 hours on it

2012... traded the wake edition jetski and challenger boat for wake edition seadoo twin engine jet boat and put 220 hours on it in 2012, getting so i could just do wake to wakes, kids outpaced me of course and are doing much more :clap:and its fun to watch!

Feb 2013 bought first Bu... been the best "family" investment I've ever made! put 320 hours on her that year and at least that each thereafter.  Currently at 996 hours all with family and great friends... have made new friends on this site and have spent time on the water with some of them... has been overall a great experience!  The boat has been a rock steady piece of equipment.  Early on, had some minor issues with the electronics and occasionally will reappear, but all in all with the amount of use, it has been a great boat.  Will be trading up soon... possibly trade or sell our current 2013 for a newer Bu.:thumbup:

Edited by BlackBluMalibu
  • Like 3

Started with a 14 foot Sylvan Supper Snapper

then went to a 96 Sea Ray 18 foot runabout

next was a 25 foot Premier Grand Majestic Pontoon(kids and wife all thought I was getting old), I just got tired of 20 boat rides when we had friends over

Last August at age 46 I bought an 05 Wakesetter with only 150 hours.  (dad is cool again)  Married with 3 kiddos(13,11,6) that love living on the lake (great family time)

We are really getting into surfing, friends have an 06 Nautique that got us hooked.

23 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Not to derail. But you seem to have owned all of the vlx hulls since the v23 (although you skipped the regular v25). Aside from creature comforts like maliview etc. could you give us an insight on how the wake differed between them?

The 2015 has by far the best tuneable wake, Longer, and I believe more push, The 04 I was just getting into wakesurfing so I cant really give you a fair opinion on that, My 2010 was good but really short and steep, But for Wakeboarding the 2010 & 15 are amazing! 

On 3/18/2016 at 11:32 PM, milo84 said:

Curious at what age people bought their boat at. Also did you have kids at the time or no? 

I bought my first Malibu at 28.  No kids, no job, and the wife was still in school.  I figured something was going to go down right that summer.

I just sold it to a 26 year old 12 years later.  Wife, good job, kid on the way.

And I just bought my second Malibu at 40.  Wife and a 4yo.

24-hallett girl friend no kids

28-mandela v-drive girl friend no kids

32-cambell v-drive wife 2 kids, got it because she said her and the kids will never get in the mandela

36-american skier advance more of a family boat,

38-247 lsv, the perfect family boat!

the same girl friend/wife the whole time 

• Like 2

First boat at 26, married and 2 kids

First new Malibu a '94 Echelon LX at 28 the kids loved it. 

Second new Malibu a '12 Wakesetter VTX at 46, second wife, 4 kids grown up and out of the house, but still come around to boat.  It is a great boat. 

Talk about memory lane/ marina! Great thread question! First boat I purchased with own cash late 1970's inflatable Z28 boat complete with hollow worthless plastic oars, move on to 1989 whitewater entered bloodstream starting with pirouette perception kayak.  In college I realized kayaks were limiting especially on beer capacity, I purchased my first raft a 16 foot Aire Jagurundi cataraft. That turned into a seasonalcareer and office for well over a decade and "when river guides hang up their oars they buy throttles". First Fishing boat in 2010 was a 2005 24ft Bay Champ for slaying Redfish. I purchased first wake boat a Centurion Enzo in 2013 which was replaced by manufacturer by another Enzo. Needless to say that experience led me to 2015 23LSV "where have you been all my life, thank god for surf gate and the Malibu Crew" As for kids, they haven't found me yet...:innocent: