Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with tower and boat storage

Roush611

I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2001 Waksetter LSV. I ran into a slight issue with the dry stacks place the boat will be stored at. I guess in order for my boat to be stored with the tower up it has to be smaller then 22 feet. So now I have to fold the tower down after every use.

The boat will have a cover when stored but I don't know how to support the tower when it is folded down so it does not rest on the cover. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I remove the ski pylon will it rest on the fiberglass right in front of the rear lockers?

Here are a couple pics...

EF94AE1A-1371-430C-8D84-0464A8B8522A_zps

96B59978-5F08-4CC7-960B-4FF6D3C11F99_zps

I thought about doing this with some high strength wire, but the only concern I have is changing how it pulls on the front 2 mounts of the tower. Would that put too much stress on where it connects to the hull?

2 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

How about folding the tower forward, not backward?

I will have to double check but I don't think that is a possibility because all the speaker/power wire is run through the back part of the tower

17 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

I thought about doing this with some high strength wire, but the only concern I have is changing how it pulls on the front 2 mounts of the tower. Would that put too much stress on where it connects to the hull?

I wouldn't want to do it with wire if the boat is dry stacked, don't want it to be able to bounce.

Two thoughts:

1. Ask the storage facility what other similar boat's owners are doing. If they have a requirement, I'm sure someone else is subject to it as well and has solved the problem.

2. What about a carpeted 2x4 (like a trailer bunk) across the back for the tower to rest on? Overlap the gunnel so the load is balanced across the fiberglass and engine cover.

I have the same tower and I don't think it would fold forward without modification.  The front locks together. You would need to round the corners to create the pivot. 

8 hours ago, mikeo said:

Two thoughts:

1. Ask the storage facility what other similar boat's owners are doing. If they have a requirement, I'm sure someone else is subject to it as well and has solved the problem.

2. What about a carpeted 2x4 (like a trailer bunk) across the back for the tower to rest on? Overlap the gunnel so the load is balanced across the fiberglass and engine cover.

I thought about a 2x4 as well but I would still have to remove the ski pylon otherwise that would put some gnarly stress on the cover. If that's a last resort I can do that. I will play with it this weekend and see if I can figure out something. 

I will also ask the "harbor master" as well to see how similar boats to mine are doing it. 

My '02 VLX had the tower lined up so that it just barely cleared the ski pylon (rubbed the warning sticker off). It sounds like yours is a bit further back so it really causes problems. I've got a few ideas to share, but let us know what the harbor master comes up with for you.

One idea: get a 2' diameter project panel from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-Pine-Edge-Glued-Panel-Round-Board-ZPRLR0124/204485287

Drill a hole (with a hole saw) big enough for the ski pylon to fit in, ~3"

Put the project panel with the hole in it over the ski pylon to distribute the weight on the engine cover/sun platform, and then put a 5 gal bucket (upside down) on the project panel and rest the tower on the bucket.

If you're concerned about the tower speakers, etc. you could get a round seat pad to put on top of the bucket.

14 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

I thought about a 2x4 as well but I would still have to remove the ski pylon otherwise that would put some gnarly stress on the cover. 

What if you retrofitted a retractable pylon from a later model VLX on it?