Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heatercraft versus Acu-heat - are they the same?

Badger

Does anyone know with certainty if these are the exact same products?  It appears the Acu-heat is the same as the Heatercraft model but $200 less.  Somebody asked the same question here back in 2008, but there was not a definitive answer.

http://www.skidim.com/ACU-HEAT-314-HC-3-OUTLET-SYSTEM/productinfo/314-HC/

http://www.heatercraft.com/marine-heater-300-pro-all-inclusive-system/

The one difference I see is that the Acu-heat unit doesn't appear to come with the wye fitting for better heat at idle, in fact I don't even see a T to tap into the water supply.  For $400+ I'd hope either of these units would come with an electric circulation pump.

You're right about the Y-pipe.  I didn't notice that.  But that's a $55 part that could be purchased, still saving $150.  If you look really close at the picture on Skidim, the Acu-heat case appears to have "Heater Craft" stamped into it.  Obviously it still could be a Chinese knockoff.

Edit:  an electric circulation pump is an extra $150 from Heatercraft.

Edited by Badger

The "accu-heat" system IS a heatercraft heater, not a rebranded product.  That's just the "old" nomenclature from before heatercraft went to "elite," "pro," and "sport" systems a few years ago.  I bought a 300 series system from skidim a few years ago and if it's a fake they definitely go the extra mile by including the heatercraft box and instructions.

It's the same stuff.  Remember that there's also a discount at skidim for malibu owners (I can't remember the code and even if I could it would be a violation of the TOU to post it I think... but if you call them and ask for the code they will give it to you).  I think it's another 10%?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.  I'm still waiting on a call back from my dealer with a price quote for the kit itself and installation.  I do enjoy the satisfaction of doing these type of things myself though.  I also have access to a lot of HVAC knowledge at work and have been thinking about putting together my own system.  I could get a heater core and blower scroll for a fraction of the price.  I just haven't figured out any alternatives for the hot tubes.  By the time I have to buy those parts individually from Heatercraft, I might be right back at kit pricing.

I'm sure Shawn is correct, maybe I was thinking about this one back before the new Heatercraft design. Looks like you would still have to buy the installation kit, tubes, switch, etc. http://www.boat-heaters.com/76-maradyne-marine-16-inch-stoker-heater-boat.html

I just had a 3 outlet heater installed, it was a Heatercraft I bought here on a group buy a couple years ago. Skidim is excellent to work with, I remember the discount code and just verified it..not sure if it was exclusive to TMC members. FYI - the dealer charged me 3 hours shop time for the install.