Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Silent Ride Exhaust?? Worth the money?

hefe

Silent ride exhaust mufflers, are they worth the money? i have a '06 247, with the standard 383. The engine noise is pretty deep and does have a perr to it.

I was wondering if the silent ride exhaust, are worth the money to install. My service shop will charge me $450 for installation only plus parts! Anyone know how much the actual exhaust are? Are they worth the money for the installation?

Thoughts anyone???

I've thought about changing out my mufflers to Silent ride, but I love the deep sound of the boat. SkiSix rode in my boat at the Michigan ski clinic and suggested that I insulate the motor box. I think that will bring down the decibel level in the cabin and I can still enjoy the sound of the stock exhaust. So you might look into insulating the motor box if it is not already-before you spend the $$ for a new exhaust.

I really like the Silent Ride exhaust. Mine is in need of repair, which Marine Muffler says they will do, or I can buy a replacement for $399.

I've thought about changing out my mufflers to Silent ride, but I love the deep sound of the boat. SkiSix rode in my boat at the Michigan ski clinic and suggested that I insulate the motor box. I think that will bring down the decibel level in the cabin and I can still enjoy the sound of the stock exhaust. So you might look into insulating the motor box if it is not already-before you spend the $$ for a new exhaust.

I second this. The insulation does help a lot to bring the noise levels down.

Yes, does have the silent ride but i guess i meant the pointed down exhaust tips. supposedly can drop 10 decibals. Anyone know if its true?

Doesn't your 247 have Silent Rider installed from the factory? That's what Malibu was using on the V drives for years...
Yes, does have the silent ride but i guess i meant the pointed down exhaust tips. supposedly can drop 10 decibals. Anyone know if its true?

Doesn't your 247 have Silent Rider installed from the factory? That's what Malibu was using on the V drives for years...

I just installed the STE tips on my boat, it is noticably quieter. 10 db ?, hard to say, but I am satisfied with the difference, verses the $$ spent. On the install, it takes longer to empty the back of the boat & get the side panels off than it does to switch the tips so don't go for the $400.00 install that some of the dealers have been known to quote.

I just installed the STE tips on my boat, it is noticably quieter. 10 db ?, hard to say, but I am satisfied with the difference, verses the $$ spent. On the install, it takes longer to empty the back of the boat & get the side panels off than it does to switch the tips so don't go for the $400.00 install that some of the dealers have been known to quote.

Pretty easy install? Cause that's exactly what they quoted! $450 for the install, $350 per tip! What does the install exist of?

Pretty easy install? Cause that's exactly what they quoted! $450 for the install, $350 per tip! What does the install exist of?

$395 per tip? You're kidding, right? Go here, they are $299 for the pair from our own SmoothWaterMan.

$395 per tip? You're kidding, right? Go here, they are $299 for the pair from our own SmoothWaterMan.

Sorry, i meant $350 for both!

this insulation for the engine cover...

is there a kit or description for said upgrade?

this insulation for the engine cover...

is there a kit or description for said upgrade?

DIY:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....soundinsulation

I have the factory installed silent ride exhaust with downturn exhaust. I love it! Yahoo.gif The driver can actually have a conversation with the people in the back seat (LSV 23). My dealer was blown away. This was the first boat they had water tested with the silent ride exhaust. You still hear the growl of the engine, but it is definitely more quiet.

Let's not confuse Silent Rider mufflers with the new STE exhaust tips or inline insert. Also, 'downturn' exhaust pipes are no longer offered, IIUC.

Silent Riders have been standard in some boats and an option in others for many years. They are mufflers.

STE exhaust tips are not 'downturns' but do angle/curve toward the water. They have an insert inside the tip that the 'downturns' did not.

You can also get the STE as an insert in the exhaust line, DD only IIUC. These are not in place of the mufflers, but an addition to them.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure you're wrong...you're always wrong. Tongue.gif

Don't believe me? Just ask your wife... :lol:

Actually, your itemization is correct...but you were the only one confused and needing clarification. Crazy.gif

I'm sure you're wrong...you're always wrong. Tongue.gif

Don't believe me? Just ask your wife... :lol:

Actually, your itemization is correct...but you were the only one confused and needing clarification. Crazy.gif

Glad to give you a reason to rag my a$$. Next time anyone confuses mountain bike, road bike, and sissy bike (like the ones you ride), I'll be sure to let it go. :lol:

Remove enough stored "stuff" so that the plexiglass panels can be moved out of the way in order to loosen up the hose clamps on the back side of the tips. Remove the 4 screws holding the tips to the back of the boat. Gently pry the tips off with a wide screwdriver/gasket scraper type tool. They are "glued" on with silicone, but will come off if persueded. Scrape off all (most) of the old silicone, test fit the new tips into the holes (you may have to push the exhaust hose back into the right position before the tip will slide into it). Mark the new screw holes, remove tips, drill holes a little smaller than the screws. Squeeze 1/4 - 1/3 of a toothpast sized tube of silicone on each side right at the cutout, so some silicone will squeeze into the "hole", and some will go onto the flange. Install the tips, screws, & then wipe away the excess silicone. Tighten the hose clamps & put the stuff back in the boat. Fwalla, your done. Surprised.gif

• 5 weeks later...
I Installed the REX Marine In-Line Stainless Steel Silencers for 139.00 /pair. 10Db reduction! VERY NICE /Easy Install.

These are installed on a 2001 Sportster.

Heres the link

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merch...s-inline-insert

$139 a pair, or each?

edit - just clicked on the links and see that it is indeed $139/pair! That is an awesome deal!

Anyone know how these compare with the inline STE's mentioned above?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

i am seriously considering these for my boat. I thought our boats had 3" exhausts though, can anyone confirm that they are 3 1/2"? i guess i should drag my lazy a$$ out of this chair and go down to the dock and measure...

Edited by jgouveia3
Yeah, exactly. I should do that as well. . .hey, let me know what you find out, ok?

Ordered 'em yesterday. Was going to wait a bit, but I'm too impatient. :)

My plan is to try to get some before/after video to see if the difference will show up in the audio track. Also want to try to get some acceleration data before/after to go along with it. Don't want to promise the most scientific results, cause I don't knows I'll have the time, but I'll do what I can.

Jerry, at the least, pick up a loud-o-meter from radio shack and use the db-A scale for some results. Yes.gif Front seat, back seat, shore, etc, etc. . .

What, you gonna install these things inline under the box? WaWow, I've got to know!!!

Yeah, I'll plan on getting the meter too. I just know that most people wouldn't know a dB if it hit them in the face, so I thought the video might be more revealing.

They'll go under the box, between the manifolds and the Silent Riders. Should look cool too - polished SS! :)