Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RPM Meter varies

Example, If I am at 3200 rpms without changing speeds it will bounce up to 4200 and back down. No skier just cruising.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?

My '97 Response does the same thing. I have the standard Mercruiser 350 mag carb engine. Strange thing is my perfect pass RPM shows the correct RPM. I suspect a faulty Tach. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

I had this issue on my '97 Echelon. In my case, the contacts on the tach were somewhat corroded. I pulled the tach, and on the back there is a switch that changes the tach from a 4/6/8 cylinder. I moved that switch between positions several times to clean the contacts, then made sure I put it back on 8 cylinder. That took care of the problem. This happened a year following an incident of my speedo air tube coming off the back of my speedometer and flushing the back of my dash with water. So, I figure that I got some water up in my tach and that corroded the contacts. It's a cheap easy fix, if it's the same issue.

• 1 month later...

Third here with the same problem.... Fixed the same way as MRothwell... At least I think that's what fixed it.. I did lots of other fixes/maintenance at the same time, but that was the only one related to the tach.

I have patented that fix. I will now be collecting royalties from everyone that has used it.

Hey, if CC can collect royalties for the tower, I should be able to collect for this.