Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter vs. Sunsetter LX(i) differences?

jgouveia3

Can someone explain, or point to somewhere that lists the differences between these 2 models? I looked at a used 2002 Sunsetter last night, and was just wondering what made this different than the LXi. I did notice that it had a WAY smaller trunk than my Response LX.

thanks

Actually in 2002, the sunsetter lx was on a diamond, so they will ski comparably. Biggest difference is 8 more inches in length in the lxi, and hence more capacity. slxi will have a bigger trunk.

The trunk space on the SLXi is awesome. Easily stores a pair of skis, 2 slaloms, kneeboard, wakeboard, deflated tube, and a couple of vests. I also think the interior is a bit nicer on the slxi but I could be wrong. Coast guard capacities may be a bit less on the slx also.

I am with Edwin. I thought that the slx had a 23 wake hull where as the slxi had the diamond. There is a big difference in ski wakes between the two hulls. The wake on the SLXi is not very different than your response.

Actually in 2002, the sunsetter lx was on a diamond, so they will ski comparably. Biggest difference is 8 more inches in length in the lxi, and hence more capacity. slxi will have a bigger trunk.

Yep you are correct our 02 was on the diamond hull. Think the lenght and the trunk are the only things different.

so the boat I saw last night just said Sunsetter on it, not LX or LXi. So this is just an LX, which is the non ski hull. I definetly do NOT want to give up the skiability.

Edited by jgouveia3
so the boat I saw last night just said Sunsetter on it, not LX or LXi. So this is just an LX, which is the non ski hull. I definetly do NOT want to give up the skiability.

If it was a 2002, it's on the diamond. If I or someone else referred to it as an LX, we meant the same thing. the important thing is not the suffix, but the year. 2002 was the only diamond-hulled I-ride made (that will clarify the suffix confusion).

Iride=sunsetter=sunsetter LX=wakesetter=sunkicker EXCEPT in 2002, when the sunsetter was on the SV23 diamond, whereas all the others are on the sv23 wake. A slxi and that '02 sunsetter will ski very comparably. If you don't know how to identify a diamond hull, PM me, I can explain it (just so you're sure that that '02 is on a diamond).

Sorry about the LX confusion, LX was it's original designation and thats how I keep them straight. I refer to Irides as sunsetter Lx's too.

If both boats in 02 were diamond I doubt you will tell any difference behind the boat. Wetted surfaces will be equal. The extra 8" of the SLXi is above the water. With the plain sunsetter you will have a small trunk.

You wanna buy a Cherry 2000 SLXI?

Already selling your boat? Better get something nice for Jeanette and I so when we come up! Biggrin.gif

Everything is for sale. My plans are to possibly unload it at the end of the summer. MAYBE.

There is a Big Beautiful Blue Wakesetter at my lake that I have been oogling over.......

Now that I am single, there is no one telling me that I can't have one......

If it was a 2002, it's on the diamond. If I or someone else referred to it as an LX, we meant the same thing. the important thing is not the suffix, but the year. 2002 was the only diamond-hulled I-ride made (that will clarify the suffix confusion).

Iride=sunsetter=sunsetter LX=wakesetter=sunkicker EXCEPT in 2002, when the sunsetter was on the SV23 diamond, whereas all the others are on the sv23 wake. A slxi and that '02 sunsetter will ski very comparably. If you don't know how to identify a diamond hull, PM me, I can explain it (just so you're sure that that '02 is on a diamond).

Sorry about the LX confusion, LX was it's original designation and thats how I keep them straight. I refer to Irides as sunsetter Lx's too.

OK, last question. This boat HAD the V style wedge, as opposed to the flat wedge on my Response.

Here's a picture, can you tell from this if it is the "better ski" vs "better wake" hull (unfortunately I only took one shot from the rear, and it was above the back of the hull):

SKI8.JPG

That is the diamond.

Don't know why it has the "v" wedge on it. Maybe someone thought that it was a wake hull?

Edited by Lakenut