Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim trunks

Badger

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm sure I can get some good "new" answers.

We are leaving for Costa Rica very soon and I wanted to get a new pair of swim trunks or two.  So I'm headed towards being a rookie "old guy" but think of myself as being a more mature, young guy.  I'd like to get something that looks good but isn't over the top for someone my age.  The problem I have is that all of the new "board shorts" don't have the typical mesh liner that I'm used to having.

Are there good options out there with liners?  What does everyone do without the liner?  Commando?  some type of undergarment?  I'm a watersports oriented person and can't imagine going commando.  I'm already at the point that when I slalom ski, I like the comfort of the shorty wetsuit, just to hold everything in place.

What do you guys do?

Regular old front tie Nike swim shorts with the liners is all I ever wear.  Seen some of my kids friends wearing some sort of underwear under their baggy swim shorts - seems super comfortable to me ;) 

Just board shorts. Unless it's cool out & then compression shorts under board shorts. Doubt it would be that cool in Costa Rica though.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Something like these Hybrid board shorts are great. You can wear them all day either in the water or in a casual restaurant or wherever you can wear shorts. They dry fast, have pockets you can actually use and look great.

Google Hybrid Board shorts, here is one link but many companies make them.

Hybrid Board Short Link

GO Commando if you like. I like these types of shorts under my board shorts. They dry fast and fit well. You can wear them all day.

Boxer Jocks

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Something like these Hybrid board shorts are great. You can wear them all day either in the water or in a casual restaurant or wherever you can wear shorts. They dry fast, have pockets you can actually use and look great.

Google Hybrid Board shorts, here is one link but many companies make them.

Hybrid Board Short Link

GO Commando if you like. I like these types of shorts under your board shorts. They dry fast and fit well. 

Boxer Jocks

Costco has a few in stock now. $15-20 each, can't go wrong. I like wearing these while we are delta ratting it around, versatile. 

Oh, and commando all the way!

Edited by Josh4mc
  • Like 1

I have a pair of the hybrids, those are the BEST.  From the boat to the bar, pockets and everything. 

Compression underwear works good under board shorts.  But gets a bit chaffy after a while.  So I wear them, but depending on the activity.  Pontoon ride = commando.  Heavy day of activity on the water = compression shorts underneath.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

think of myself as being a more mature, young guy.

...that's what all you old guys say.

MalibuNation

It won't help you now but I pick up some in the fall from Meijers at 75% off.  All I need is the string go completely around the waist and it needs a liner.

17 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Nice.

Some guy in our town runs in something like this all the time. Ask anyone in town about it & everyone has commented on it.    :Doh:

54d3c0d7b8f49_-_q-10-things-you-need-to-

Does he wear Converse "chucks" also?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Does he wear Converse "chucks" also?

And knee high tube socks.

Oh, and he's like 70 yrs old. So I'm sure it's all stuff he's been running in since the 1970s.

http://us.billabong.com/shop/mens-shorts

Crossfire X, Scheme, or Carter submersibles.  I have both O'Neill (Ronnie's post above) and Billabong of these styles; Billabong look and fit better.  O'Neill pockets kind of stick out to the sides.

http://us.billabong.com/shop/product/mens-shorts/crossfire-x-slub-submersible-short?color=ALY

And yes, only commando.  Sorry, I'm no help with shorts with liners.

+ another for hybrids for vacation. I wear board shorts for boat days. I like the kind that have 4 way stretch like the oneill super or hyper freaks. They only last a season or two and they aren't cheap but they are super comfy, dry quickly and stretch. Commando all the way. 

Edited by isellacuras

Have you guys tried the under armour 'underwear' ? they dry out nearly as fast as the board shorts, provide a little extra 'support' and you don't to worry about accident showings...

ahopkins22LSV

4-way stretch shorts with UA compression shorts on underneath. I went one day in Hawaii without the compression shorts and paid the price from how hot it was! Plus I agree with jetskipro, they dry out just as fast, if not better.

Of course this is a real topic!  This is a first world problem at it's finest.  

I really do appreciate all of the answers.  I think I'll check out the UA underwear, to open up some options with board shorts.  

For those of you with the hybrids, do you buy these in place of shorts and wear them when you're not on the water, like the golf course too?  Or is strictly water sports?  Some of these seem a bit bland coming from a companies like Billabong and O'Neill.

Also, do board shorts typically NOT have any pockets, except maybe a key pocket inside?

Edited by Badger

I go to Costa Rica for one to two months every year. Almost always wear hybrids exclusively the whole time. I've got several pair that I take. Check out Quicksilver and Hurley lines too.