Sign in to follow this  
doughickey

Rear Deck Exhaust Panel Re-attach ???

doughickey

On the rear deck of my 1998 Response LX there is this beautifully contoured panel (about 4" X 16") that is a cover over the bilge blower outlet. One of my kids decided that it was as solid as the rest of the rear deck..... sat on it.... and it snapped off. It didn't break, it just broke the epoxy seal that had attached it to the back deck. (Seems like a dumb design.... that's where people sometimes sit.)

Anyhow, I'm trying to decide of I should drill it, chamfer the holes, add some rubber washer underneath, and mechanically re-attach to the rear deck with flat head SS bolts.

OR

Should I try to re-epoxy. However, epoxy broke once..... I don't want it to break off and fall into the drink.

Anybody else have to deal with this?

Any advice?

Thanks.

edwin

I'd take option number one...will certainly take longer to drill the holes but seems like a better solution to me.

SunriseH2OSkier

I remember that same panel on my '01 Sunsetter. I always thought it was odd that it wasn't designed to be removable. I'm with edwin - drill the holes and screw it on. You never know, it might come in handy to be able to take it off for access of some form.

p.s. - not sure about this one, but how about putting a hinge along the front edge so it can be raised. Seems to me that there are a couple openings under there, only one of which is connected to your bilge blower. Maybe you could find a use for the other opening(s): a soap dispenser, or maybe even a cup holder for those times when you're just floating out there, sitting on the swim platform??? Just something to think about.

doughickey

Thanks for the reinforcing thoughts. Hmmmm, a hinge....drink holders..... We'll see.