Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deal, Ok Deal or No Deal?

Roush611

I am enlisting the opinion of the experts. I am looking to purchase a 2001 Wakesetter LSV with 786 hours.  The boat is overall in good condition, exterior is pretty much flawless.  The interior (cushions) and sundeck on the other hand will need to start being replaced.  If I take it real easy on them I can probably get another 2 seasons out of the majority of them and a lot more out of the bow cushions.  The boat has the ls1 motor and looks to be in good working order.  All the electronics seem to be in working order and the mechanics (sight and ear) seem to be ok.  I will know more tomorrow after a PPI is done.  

The boat has...

• Aftermarket system (sub, speakers, tower enclosure with speakers and lights) at least 7 years old though
  • Wedge
  • Factory MLS center ballast
  • Aftermarket sacks in the locker that are somehow connected via switches in the dash
  • perfect pass
  • Thats all I can think of off the top of my head

The seller was asking $19k and I offered (which he accepted) $17k pending ok inspection tomorrow.  Is this a deal or no deal?  I have done a bit of research and I can't really get a feel for the pricing of this boat.  I just need to get a feeling for how picky I need to be with the inspection tomorrow. 

a1bdb10f295058f84fe254f2ab270e90.jpg.max

d38f290b799a102102382dd637a5adad.jpg.max

Edited by Roush611

Thanks for the replies.  It will definitely take some elbow grease once I take possession since I am anal but I think it will be worth it. Now to hope everything goes well with the inspection. EEK

I like it.  Looks nice and the price seems good but I am no expert there.  I like the white...very clean and gives you a blank palette so to speak.  Like mentioned earlier above, 

you could add some color when you do get the vinyl re-done and have a really sharp looking boat.  Good luck with the inspection...hope it comes through 

and you are in a Malibu soon!  Welcome to the Crew and keep us posted!

PS  I would like to get my hands on that teak and see what I could do with it on a rainy day with a few good beers close by for moral support, lol.

• Like 2

Great deal. We have seen plenty of people looking in that year range and struggling to get under 25k (this is for low hour, near mint boats). 17k seems like a nice deal with some room for you to work on the interior.

I would scoop it up!

40 minutes ago, DUKENO1 said:

I like it.  Looks nice and the price seems good but I am no expert there.  I like the white...very clean and gives you a blank palette so to speak.  Like mentioned earlier above, 

you could add some color when you do get the vinyl re-done and have a really sharp looking boat.  Good luck with the inspection...hope it comes through 

and you are in a Malibu soon!  Welcome to the Crew and keep us posted!

PS  I would like to get my hands on that teak and see what I could do with it on a rainy day with a few good beers close by for moral support, lol.

Ha ha ha yea I can't wait to pull that teak off and dig into it! 

Is that Ox Bow marina? looks like familiar north delta water...

Back to the boat: trailer? cover? check the steering for binding, check the dipstick for "milkshake" oil, check the v-drive for frothy fluid, and a big thing: the side mounted Skylon towers will spider-crack the gelcoat and there isn't much you can do about it. Is the prop in decent condition? (I see plenty of junk in the water in the pics)

I didn't spend the time to maintain the teak platform when I had one, I ordered a replacement fiberglass platform from Malibu and had great plans to turn the old platform in to a bench but it sat in the storage locker and went with the boat when I sold it.

Check all under water gear and spider cracking in the gel around them for signs of impact.  Search the site for Gabriel Garcia and get pricing for new skins.  17k is a great price IMO.

9 hours ago, mikeo said:

Is that Ox Bow marina? looks like familiar north delta water...

Back to the boat: trailer? cover? check the steering for binding, check the dipstick for "milkshake" oil, check the v-drive for frothy fluid, and a big thing: the side mounted Skylon towers will spider-crack the gelcoat and there isn't much you can do about it. Is the prop in decent condition? (I see plenty of junk in the water in the pics)

I didn't spend the time to maintain the teak platform when I had one, I ordered a replacement fiberglass platform from Malibu and had great plans to turn the old platform in to a bench but it sat in the storage locker and went with the boat when I sold it.

The boat is actually located in discovery bay. There is some very minimal spider cracking around the base of the tower but my research says that's pretty normal on these boats. As far a** the hull and running gear everything is in great shape the Ritter and prop just need to be polished up. 

Comes with trailer, cover and Bimini as well.

Well I just got done testing and everything is pretty inline. The three things that came up are...

center stock ballast bag has a bad leak

raw water pump needs to be replaced 

the boat pulls to the right (tech said its more of an annoyance than a need to fix issue)

The seller knocked $400 off the price for the raw water pump. This leads me to my next question, is their a diy out there for that and where is the best place to source parts?

Thanks

Edited by Roush611

First: are congratuations in order? it sounds like you closed the deal...

Lots of good places to source parts and info from; check the top banner "DIY Resources" for info. SkiDIM, BakesOnline, and Great Lakes Skipper all come to mind.

The center bow ballast bag is easily replaced by wakemakers, you don't need the Malibu bag, just one that is similar size. Even the stock bag pushed the ski locker cover up a little.

The boat pulling to the right can be fixed with adjustments to the rudder "wedge" (I'm not sure of the correct technical name). Small adjustments make a big difference; if you get it adjusted exactly correct and there is any slop in the steering cable you'll feel the rudder "pop" back and forth across the prop wash.

54 minutes ago, mikeo said:

First: are congratuations in order? it sounds like you closed the deal...

Lots of good places to source parts and info from; check the top banner "DIY Resources" for info. SkiDIM, BakesOnline, and Great Lakes Skipper all come to mind.

The center bow ballast bag is easily replaced by wakemakers, you don't need the Malibu bag, just one that is similar size. Even the stock bag pushed the ski locker cover up a little.

The boat pulling to the right can be fixed with adjustments to the rudder "wedge" (I'm not sure of the correct technical name). Small adjustments make a big difference; if you get it adjusted exactly correct and there is any slop in the steering cable you'll feel the rudder "pop" back and forth across the prop wash.

Yea I think it is a done deal. Just got to work the finances out and we will be good to go. I didn't think any of the "issues" we a big enough deal to walk away as they are all simple fixes. That and the seller knocked off $400 for the pump so that is huge. 

48 minutes ago, MadMan said:

It pulled pretty decent amount. The tech said that the whole rutter would need to be replaced which I thought was weird since its in perfect shape. Just needs to be cleaned up as it's got some decent build up of gunk from being left in the water. 

Edited by Roush611

Man! Wish I would've found a deal like that when I was boat shopping last year....I may not have bought a brand new one!  That's easily a $25-$30k boat around here.  Congrats!

1 hour ago, mikeo said:

That year does not have a tab on the rudder to adjust. 

8 hours ago, That Guy said:

Man! Wish I would've found a deal like that when I was boat shopping last year....I may not have bought a brand new one!  That's easily a $25-$30k boat around here.  Congrats!

Exactly. No one has mentioned the fairly rare and desirable LS1 motor. I'd suggest scooping it up before someone else does.

10 hours ago, Roush611 said:

It pulled pretty decent amount.

It shouldn't pull very hard.  Sounds like something might be out of alignment, prop, rudder, skeg?

Could be something as simple as the rudder bushings being worn out.  Main thing is going to be to get it on a trailer where you can check everything for play/alignment.

As far as the raw water pump - what exactly is wrong with it?

Edited by oldjeep
17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

As far as the raw water pump - what exactly is wrong with it?

That is what I'd want to know, it could be just the impeller, which is an easily replaced wearable item.