Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pics of your Bimini Surf Board Storage

Ndawg12

I just recently discovered I have the ability to sew sunbrella and have a bunch of various straps, bungee material, and sunbrella fabric.  So I'm looking for ideas on how your bimini surf board pockets/storage are designed and how you like it and/or would change it.

If you have reasonable access to the front of your bimini, I'd actually suggest running the pocket opening on the front.  Reason being that when we had the bimini pockets on our MB, they were set up to open toward the back of the boat (preferred, common method), and frequently the wakeboard line would interfere with the fins on the surfboards.  Not really a big deal, but especially if you have a nice fiberglass board it's silly to put the board even at that little bit of risk.  And it's annoying.  

I guess having the "mouth" of the pocket facing fwd may present it's own issues (i.e. acting as a parachute?) but you could fix that with a pocket flap like on a dress shirt.

So that's an idea of a thing I'd change.

I use a 48 inch cargo net the fits tightly on top of the bimini. I just slide two surf boards underneath and they stay there with no problems. It is very easy to use and I don't have to climb up and tie the straps. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If you have reasonable access to the front of your bimini, I'd actually suggest running the pocket opening on the front.  Reason being that when we had the bimini pockets on our MB, they were set up to open toward the back of the boat (preferred, common method), and frequently the wakeboard line would interfere with the fins on the surfboards.  Not really a big deal, but especially if you have a nice fiberglass board it's silly to put the board even at that little bit of risk.  And it's annoying.  

I guess having the "mouth" of the pocket facing fwd may present it's own issues (i.e. acting as a parachute?) but you could fix that with a pocket flap like on a dress shirt.

So that's an idea of a thing I'd change.

I believe sliding in boards nose first while standing on the bow cushions is no problem.  I envision a slightly open pocket for the nose of the board so that air can pass through and then an adjustable 2" strap about 30" toward the bow.

21 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I use a 48 inch cargo net the fits tightly on top of the bimini. I just slide two surf boards underneath and they stay there with no problems. It is very easy to use and I don't have to climb up and tie the straps. 

So you don't actually sew anything to the bimini?

Do you have pictures of this?

And maybe a link

• Like 3

I am also interested in pictures.  I have seen that someone  did a pocket with mesh which seems like a good idea that would alleviate the ballooning issue. I can invision what SD is saying but it seems that would create its own issues of having to pull boards from the front and then drag them through the cockpit to the back of the boat. Would be sooooo much more convenient to be able to grab them from the back seat. Wonder if you could sew in pockets at an angle where the boards line up more in a V shape where he tail/fins are more pointed out toward the rear/outside of the Bimini and the nose is more toward the front/middle?   Wouldn't look as nice but might be more functional. I just picked up a wakejak (thanks malibudude) so not sure it will work with pockets. Will have to take a closer look. 

On 3/3/2016 at 1:46 PM, shawndoggy said:

Not sure why I have to use a quote from SD to post something in here....?  But yeah this thread has been a major flop.  In my 247 I wouldn't reach the boards from the backseat, I guess I could from side seats.  But accessing them from the bow and dropping them in the water wouldn't be a big deal.  

On March 14, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Ndawg12 said:
On March 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM, shawndoggy said:

Not sure why I have to use a quote from SD to post something in here....?  But yeah this thread has been a major flop.  In my 247 I wouldn't reach the boards from the backseat, I guess I could from side seats.  But accessing them from the bow and dropping them in the water wouldn't be a big deal.  

Only problem I have with throwing the boards in the water from the bow is cold water riding. We ride year round and I like sliding in the water with my board while engine is running and ready to go. Warm weather would be no big deal. 

7 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

Only problem I have with throwing the boards in the water from the bow is cold water riding. We ride year round and I like sliding in the water with my board while engine is running and ready to go. Warm weather would be no big deal. 

But if it's that cold are you actually deploying your bimini?  The G3 is great for just strapping boards too, no bimini required.  Actually, illusion X tower too.

AD5EC0ED-E443-480E-A0DC-B7EE5C3FE469_zps

When end it's cooler we strap them on the same way, but on top. 

Edited by shawndoggy
24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

But if it's that cold are you actually deploying your bimini?  The G3 is great for just strapping boards too, no bimini required.  Actually, illusion X tower too.

AD5EC0ED-E443-480E-A0DC-B7EE5C3FE469_zps

When end it's cooler we strap them on the same way, but on top. 

Good point.  I like this.  I could see me catching a fin to the forehead when mounted underneath tho.  I see one of them is mounted fins up so that would be better for me.  Even then, I am 6'4" so I barely miss the hoops walking through.  On top would be preferred. 

Edit:  cold water days we don't run a full crew or carry a full quiver of boards anyways.  Problem I have is I carry a foil which takes up one whole side.   

Edited by isellacuras

the fins are over the dash in the photo.  I'm not saying you couldn't get a fin to the forehead, just that you'd have to try!

And yeah, the fins up one is "wrong" in the pic because the fins touch the bimini that way.  Probably not a big deal but could eventually cause wear.  But when we mount them this way with bimini stowed, fins do go up.

471DF9E3-7E0D-4C55-B0BE-0684EFAD81D4_zps

with boards on both sides, you actually get probably 70% of the bimini's shade coverage too.  It's great for cooler days where you want more sun.

(above pic also "wrong" because as noted I prefer the fins face the front and avoid wake rope tangleage)

Edited by shawndoggy
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

the fins are over the dash in the photo.  I'm not saying you couldn't get a fin to the forehead, just that you'd have to try!

And yeah, the fins up one is "wrong" in the pic because the fins touch the bimini that way.  Probably not a big deal but could eventually cause wear.  But when we mount them this way with bimini stowed, fins do go up.

471DF9E3-7E0D-4C55-B0BE-0684EFAD81D4_zps

with boards on both sides, you actually get probably 70% of the bimini's shade coverage too.  It's great for cooler days where you want more sun.

(above pic also "wrong" because as noted I prefer the fins face the front and avoid wake rope tangleage)

Thanks for sharing the pictures! This seems like such a simple solution. 

I already have the Tule straps but what pads on the tower are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of going grommets and bungee on the Bimini top.(Illusion tower and Bimini).   Anyone done this?  Figured if jcarr brought this back from April I would chime in and ask as well.