Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which sub: JL or Wet Sounds?

sounddude03

I’ve searched the site and read numerous brand A vs brand B discussions, but I didn’t find the specific info I’m looking for and I was hoping you guys could help. 

I’m looking to add a 12 inch sub to my VTX (it currently does not have one).  I plan to replace the existing kick panel with a custom sealed box under the helm.  I have narrowed down my sub selection to either the Wet Sounds XS-12 or the JL Audio 12W3v3-4.  I realize there are many other good sub options out there, but I am only interested in the performance differences of these two models.  For the sake of this discussion assume I can find both models for relatively the same price (new or used).  

Upon initial install the sub will be powered by bridging two open channels on an existing RF P400X4.  This should get me 200 watts @ 4 ohms.  Down the road I’m looking add a dedicated sub amp and will likely go with a RF M12001D that provides 600 watts @ 4 ohms.  

Have any of you guys ran both and if so, can you comment on your impression?  Thanks!

sounddude03,

I can't think of any better woofers to select from in that budget range to work with 600 watts. Both come in at under $300. Both have 12-inch grills available. They have similar enough T/S parameters that they will optimumly work in a similar size of enclosure, whether sealed or ported. Both have the same size of voice coil so thermal power handling will be about equal. Output will be similar. Bandwidth will be similar. In either case, 200 watts will be lite, but I understand that is temporary.

If I was to find differences they would be modest....I consider the JL W3 to be a tad more articulate and musical in its tonal construction....the Wetsounds XS-12 is a 100% marinized subwoofer.    

• Like 1
4 hours ago, David said:

sounddude03,

I can't think of any better woofers to select from in that budget range to work with 600 watts. Both come in at under $300. Both have 12-inch grills available. They have similar enough T/S parameters that they will optimumly work in a similar size of enclosure, whether sealed or ported. Both have the same size of voice coil so thermal power handling will be about equal. Output will be similar. Bandwidth will be similar. In either case, 200 watts will be lite, but I understand that is temporary.

If I was to find differences they would be modest....I consider the JL W3 to be a tad more articulate and musical in its tonal construction....the Wetsounds XS-12 is a 100% marinized subwoofer.    

Doesnt much get to the point any better than this. 

Both these woofers will leave you room wattage wise, to upgrade the amp later. 

Thanks for the input.  David - as MLA stated above, seeing that kind of response from you really makes me feel comfortable with either sub.  I think I'm leaning toward the JL as since I'm finding some better deals on those.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, sounddude03 said:

Thanks for the input.  David - as MLA stated above, seeing that kind of response from you really makes me feel comfortable with either sub.  I think I'm leaning toward the JL as since I'm finding some better deals on those.

Just make sure it is from an authorized dealer. And you'll want a dealer who can provide enclosure design assistance and building instruction. You can get a deal on either, starting with your TMC forum discount.