Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Pads/Bonnets for Oxidized Gelcoat

I have plenty of products to try out (Finesse it, Compound + Wax, etc) and have both rotary and DA buffers.  What are some good pads to use for oxidized gelcoat?  Any experiences with specific brands or types?  I have had great success on my vehicles using various foam pads on the DA but I'm tackling a LARGE job and fear I will be going through pads like no other.  The surface ranges from slightly oxidized to chalky. I've tried various products in the worst areas by hand already and could get them to come back fairly easily so definitely no need for wet sanding.  Wool bonnets, cutting foam, synthetic?  Harbor Freight cheapies??  Amazon.com? I'd like to buy some today or tomorrow locally if possible.  Just don't want to go drop $100 on junk pads 

Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, O'rielly's Auto, HF, Sears, West Marine, Lowes, HD.... All semi-local options. 

I have a lot of experience on paint correction on automobiles, but only little on boats. However, from that I have read for oxidized and chalky I would go with a some wool pads on a rotary to limited your working time. I don't think the DA will give you the cutting power you will need. I know on my boat the DA is good for general polishing, but not for removing any surface scratches or anything like that. I would pick up some local cheap wool pads and give it a go at first. If those fail or wear out to quickly you could always pick up some from Amazon with Prime shipping.

I had great luck on ebay.  Color codes don't seem to be standardized between sellers but definitely go with wool to start with a good cutting compound if you're not going to sand.

BTW, my 2 cents: I wouldn't completely rule out wet sanding with a random orbital...it'll definitely reduce your overall time with the wool pad and isn't nearly as scary as some may think.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, formulaben said:

I had great luck on ebay.  Color codes don't seem to be standardized between sellers but definitely go with wool to start with a good cutting compound if you're not going to sand.

BTW, my 2 cents: I wouldn't completely rule out wet sanding with a random orbital...it'll definitely reduce your overall time with the wool pad and isn't nearly as scary as some may think.

I second the process of wet sanding.  Look up the thread on WakeWorld: Cut and Finish V2 by Grant West, IIRC.  Great info and starting point to begin wet sanding.  One thing that I would recommend when wet sanding in go to 2500 or 3000 grit paper (Oreilly's paint stores) on all of the gel surfaces.  I found that wet sanding is way easier than hanging onto the variable speed polisher.  Also remove as much of the hardware as you can, hand rails in bow, windshield (while it's off have it tinted if not already), bow light, rear grab handle, cleats, stereo remote, ect.  Yes it takes a little time upfront and at the end to reinstall but you can flat fly down the sides when nothing is in your way while you are cutting, polishing and waxing. 

• Like 2

Be careful with wet sanding.  I would only caution you do this with someone experienced on hand. 

I helped bring an old navy Bayliner back to health using a medium cutting pad and some Meguiar's heavy oxidation remover.  It took some time but with the lake country medium hex pad it came back.  You could likely use a heavy cutting pad if it is really bad, but I'd work my way up from medium, it should do the trick.  I used the Meguiar's one step compound after that with a light pad, then finished with some pure Carnuba wax by hand.  It made a world of a difference.  There are other brands out there that will likely work just as good, but the Heavy Oxidation stuff works like magic, and is an inexpensive start.  Once you use this stuff though, make sure to use a sealant, otherwise that oxidation will come roaring back. 

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M4916-Marine-Oxidation-Remover/dp/B0000AY4YX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457113355&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+heavy+duty+oxidation+remover

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-BUFLC1026-Country-Light-Medium/dp/B0029L36L8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457113570&sr=8-1&keywords=lake+country+pads

Edited by saxton15

I have some of those exact orange lake country pads.  I will try them out and see.  Thanks for the tips.  I will be going to the boat soon to do some test spots.  I will post results

had good results with HF wool pads

used a rotary 3500rpm for the job. 

20151113_165520.jpg

Edited by 90oldskool
  • Like 2

Depending on how bad it's oxidized wet sanding isn't that bad plus it will definitely make the job easier and faster and typically a better outcome. My response wasn't horrible except for the transom and an edge right about the rub rail that I could never get to go away with just a buffer. I used 1000 grit and took my time. Finished it with medium cut then fine cut then a couple coats of wax. Wool pad for sure. Although I've had good luck with the 3m foam pads they make it a little easier for a less experienced person

2500 light wetsand followed up with McGuires Ultimate Compound will do a great job.  You do not need to go crazy on the wetsanding because it wont take much to cut through oxidation.  Keep the surface very wet with a spray bottle on hand while sanding.   McGuires UC is awesome, super easy to use and very safe, you wont do any damage with this to your gel.

• 3 weeks later...