Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response TXI questions

High Altitude

I'm finally getting ready to sell my current ski boat ('99 SN) and upgrade to a TXI or SN200.   I'm really impressed with the versatility of the TXI and honestly think I am leaning that direction.  Before I pull the trigger I have a few questions for the crew.

1.  The average used TXI out there for sale doesn't have a tower or wedge.   How much should I expect to pay to add an XTP tower and a manual wedge?  Can they only be ordered through the dealership?

2.  For those of you that occasionally surf your TXI, can you put a 400lb bag in the rear compartment?  Does that compartment sit on top of the gas tank and does that need to be reinforced?   Can you put a tube sac in the forward ski compartment?   Has anybody mounted a ghetto gate and had decent results?

3.  My lake is at 7000 ft.  Should I only be looking at the Monsoon 409 SS boats?  I know I wouldn't think of buying a SN200 without it, but I have heard the TXI hull is more efficient.

4.  There are a few dealer owned '13 TXI's out there.  How bad do you think the dealers want to get rid of a '13?  I believe I could buy a used '13 with a 409 for about $40K after all the dealing is done.  Would high 40's, low 50s be an insult to offer? 

5.  For those of you that have skied both the TXI and the 200, is there any big differences between the two wakes?  I'm very happy with my SN196 wake but think either of these will probably be a little nicer.  I've heard some strange reports of SN200's with a bad bump at 22 off but it seems like only a small percentage of them.

6.  Anything I should know about a '12 or '13 TXI that I didn't ask?  

Thanks in advance.  I'm truly excited for this year on my lake!  -Marc

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, High Altitude said:

I'm finally getting ready to sell my current ski boat ('99 SN) and upgrade to a TXI or SN200.   I'm really impressed with the versatility of the TXI and honestly think I am leaning that direction.  Before I pull the trigger I have a few questions for the crew.

1.  The average used TXI out there for sale doesn't have a tower or wedge.   How much should I expect to pay to add an XTP tower and a manual wedge?  Can they only be ordered through the dealership? Not 100% sure on cost, but yes you should be able to order both through the dealer.

2.  For those of you that occasionally surf your TXI, can you put a 400lb bag in the rear compartment?  Does that compartment sit on top of the gas tank and does that need to be reinforced?   Can you put a tube sac in the forward ski compartment?   Has anybody mounted a ghetto gate and had decent results? Zero experience personally, sorry.

3.  My lake is at 7000 ft.  Should I only be looking at the Monsoon 409 SS boats?  I know I wouldn't think of buying a SN200 without it, but I have heard the TXI hull is more efficient. Probably the best idea, but only way to make sure is to demo both. The 350SS in our boat is a very stout engine! The 350 could probably be propped to be fine. If you foot at all I think you will struggle to see above 40mph even with the 409 (that is purely a guess though). It is very true that the 200 hull is not efficient though. Plenty of data out there of promo guys on short lakes optioning to the bigger engine in the 200 for the very reason.

4.  There are a few dealer owned '13 TXI's out there.  How bad do you think the dealers want to get rid of a '13?  I believe I could buy a used '13 with a 409 for about $40K after all the dealing is done.  Would high 40's, low 50s be an insult to offer? VERY badly. A dealer with a lot of left overs would probably entertain almost any offer. Especially one that has multiple left overs of the same model.

5.  For those of you that have skied both the TXI and the 200, is there any big differences between the two wakes?  I'm very happy with my SN196 wake but think either of these will probably be a little nicer.  I've heard some strange reports of SN200's with a bad bump at 22 off but it seems like only a small percentage of them. Big difference? No. Difference? Yes for sure in my opinion. Is it a bad difference? Again, no. I prefer my TXi wake over the 200 and I ski a 200 fairly often. The bump is a bit different and just doesn't feel as good to me. Almost as it is a bit more firm.

6.  Anything I should know about a '12 or '13 TXI that I didn't ask?  Pretty much identical. Only difference I can think of is right now is the style of gas cap. 12's have the screw in style and 13's+ have the clamp/hinge style. Not something I would worry about but the 13+ style is much nicer IMO.

13 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Good questions for AHopkins!

Was typing :biggrin:

This is a great looking leftover TXi with tower, Zero-off, Wedge, and 6L 409!

http://smoothwatersports.com/2013-malibu-response-txi-w-410hp/

Here is another.  Not a TXi and not brand new (though close), but does have tower, wedge, and 409 priced under $40k.

http://www.coldwaterlakemarina.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1419911&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Nice looking boat - I think.  The pictures are so bad I can't tell what color(s) it is.

Description says Midnight Blue.  Deck appears to be white with white hull accent strip.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Nice looking boat - I think.  The pictures are so bad I can't tell what color(s) it is.

1 hour ago, h2o_nhk said:

Description says Midnight Blue.  Deck appears to be white with white hull accent strip.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2013-Malibu-Response-TXi-w-XTP-for-sale-Gansevoort-New-York-40009.aspx

I still :drool: over that one every time I see it!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
18 hours ago, High Altitude said:

1.  The average used TXI out there for sale doesn't have a tower or wedge.   How much should I expect to pay to add an XTP tower and a manual wedge?  Can they only be ordered through the dealership?

@ahopkinsTXi I believe he was asking if they have to be ordered through the dealer. The Wedge is a Malibu part that is only supposed to be purchased through a dealer. Most dealers will require you to have it installed by them for liability reasons, but Smooth Water Sports has been known to work around this and I believe offer better pricing then you can find on ebay.

As for the tower I'm not sure if XTP will let you DIY the installation. I know @Dare2goBare ordered one and had it installed at his dealer, so he may have more specifics on that.

HighAltitude, there are TXI's out there with towes and both the power wedge and surf gate. There are not that many, but i have seen a couple for sale.  They are priced a little higher.  In our search for a pure ski boat, i have discussed several promo boats, and you might consider going a little higher on your budget, to get into a 15..... just a thought.  Many of the ones i have considered have a wedge plate, so adding it is very easy.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, asnowman said:

HighAltitude, there are TXI's out there with towes and both the power wedge and surf gate. There are not that many, but i have seen a couple for sale.  They are priced a little higher.  In our search for a pure ski boat, i have discussed several promo boats, and you might consider going a little higher on your budget, to get into a 15..... just a thought.  Many of the ones i have considered have a wedge plate, so adding it is very easy.

Just out of curiosity where have you seen TXi's listed that have surf gate? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  I know it's a bit slow on the message board due to the weather, but I truly appreciate the responses. :)

As for surf gate, I have been looking at TXI's for awhile and have never seen one that was equipped by Malibu.  Honestly, I don't believe that animal exists (though I would be happy to be wrong).  I have made a gate for my 196 and it works great.  As I live on a lake and my friends have surf boats, my family and I really don't surf on my boat at all.  I just like the option if we have friends over that would prefer a non-contact sport. 

While a '15 would be nice, I can't really justify it.   I'm a fan of PCM engines but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.  One advantage going with a used SN 200 would be the engine.  I love the semi closed ZR409.  Since I live at altitude I find myself draining the water out of the boat numerous times in Spring and Fall so I can extend my season.  (this was the first year I got to ski into November!)  The ZR409 is a dream to winterize.  With that said, the SS 409 doesn't look bad for winterization.  No knock sensors to take out.  Obviously, the engine placement with the new engines is appealing but I haven't heard of dramatically different wakes with the new boats.  I have heard they track a bit better but I'm not too concerned.

Any ball-park costs on the wedge and tower?  I was thinking $5k installed. 

Lastly, yes that TXI in New York caught my eye.  It's a beautiful boat.  Obviously, the chrome package is added bling that I would hate to pay for... but it is sweet looking.  I might make an offer on it but I really couldn't justify over $48-50K.   BTW...what's the best shipping method for ski boats?  I was looking at about $2.50/mile but am  seeking a cheaper alternative.  I wondered if anybody has strapped one down in a CONEX and shipped it via rail.  I used to be a C-5 pilot and the SEALS would load their big boat on board.  I hauled an 18 wheeler for the DEA once.  With the right tiedown system, it seems like a boat would be easy to ship in a box.  -Marc

ahopkins22LSV

@High Altitude I believe there have been some threads on shipping boat here so I would search for it. No knock sensors to pull would be nice for draining, but it only takes about 5 minutes to pull mine.

@asnowman That is interesting. I try to follow the TXi's for sale pretty closely and I have never seen one. Would like to see one though. Was it factory or aftermarket?

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
On 3/3/2016 at 4:51 PM, High Altitude said:

2.  For those of you that occasionally surf your TXI, can you put a 400lb bag in the rear compartment?  Does that compartment sit on top of the gas tank and does that need to be reinforced?   Can you put a tube sac in the forward ski compartment?   Has anybody mounted a ghetto gate and had decent results?

Not in the compartment.  You can create a surfable wake by pulling the seat and putting two fat sacs - one in back and one coming up one side of the engine box.  When you do this you'll want to make sure you tape up the vent in back and are in manageable water.

3.  My lake is at 7000 ft.  Should I only be looking at the Monsoon 409 SS boats?  I know I wouldn't think of buying a SN200 without it, but I have heard the TXI hull is more efficient.

4.  There are a few dealer owned '13 TXI's out there.  How bad do you think the dealers want to get rid of a '13?  I believe I could buy a used '13 with a 409 for about $40K after all the dealing is done.  Would high 40's, low 50s be an insult to offer? 

5.  For those of you that have skied both the TXI and the 200, is there any big differences between the two wakes?  I'm very happy with my SN196 wake but think either of these will probably be a little nicer.  I've heard some strange reports of SN200's with a bad bump at 22 off but it seems like only a small percentage of them.

We regularly rotate between my TXI w/ a 6.0, a new ProStar w/ a 6.2, an X14 w/ a 6.0 and a '98 Nautique.  My feeling is that the SN and TXi feel the most similar with a slight nod to the SN, but as you mentioned above the versatility of the TXi beats the SN hands down. 

6.  Anything I should know about a '12 or '13 TXI that I didn't ask?  .  

Edited by mlange

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I'll look for the thread(s) on transporting a boat. 

As for a Response with SurfGate maybe I am wrong.  I would be interested to see if these were factory built or done after the fact.  The concept is fairly easy to replicate so I could see some very professional looking installs that would mimic a factory install on a VTX.  Plenty of threads on that subject.   

I've seen pictures of people who put a fat sack in the rear compartment.  I think it's specifically called out as something not to do in the owners manual but if I added a bit of support to the bottom, I think it would be doable.  I really hate sacs laying all over the boat. 

• 2 years later...

Reviving old thread.  To the  question pasted below I would ask where to find left over  17s or even 16s?  Specifically what dealers?  Tommys in Denver is the closest I have.  I dont have any idea how much a new one even cost, have been watching several on onlyinboards with low hours in the 50-60 range.   I am back and forth between new or 15 and up with less than 100 hours. 

4.  There are a few dealer owned '13 TXI's out there.  How bad do you think the dealers want to get rid of a '13?  I believe I could buy a used '13 with a 409 for about $40K after all the dealing is done.  Would high 40's, low 50s be an insult to offer? VERY badly. A dealer with a lot of left overs would probably entertain almost any offer. Especially one that has multiple left overs of the same model.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, bbelt said:

Reviving old thread.  To the  question pasted below I would ask where to find left over  17s or even 16s?  Specifically what dealers?  Tommys in Denver is the closest I have.  I dont have any idea how much a new one even cost, have been watching several on onlyinboards with low hours in the 50-60 range.   I am back and forth between new or 15 and up with less than 100 hours. 

I don’t fully understand your question. Would it be insulting to the dealer if you offer high 40’s low 50’s for a 2013 TXi? No... it would be insulting to yourself though as you’d be over paying. A 13 can probably be had in high 30’s. 

Fyi, Tommy’s has locations across the country and their entire inventory is up for grabs at any location. I’d you see a TXi in Michigan of Florida they will get it to you. 

@bbelt:  The TXI was changed quite a bit in 2017, so it will be very different than a '16 or earlier one.  I suggest you peruse ski it again or any of the websites to get a better picture of used boat prices.