Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stainless Silent Tip Exhaust

Sixer

Hey fellas, 06 V-Ride, with STE's manual wedge. I feel the FAE is so large, I just can't do it. And I wonder why the STE's don't come simply lower into water as singles? I will be hunting this down since I am removing my muffler this winter, and seek an alternative to the typical FAE's on market.

Edit: Talked to FAE, they confirmed my suspicion about two key points, I learned, so incase you did not know...

1- The center exhaust location is key to pushing way out from propeller force, and 2- The dropping out with two single pipes would not withstand the force created by water.

Now I know. 

Edited by THertner
  • 3 years later...

Yes I'm gonna bring back an old post as well, so I'm that guy...:oops:

So I've got a 2004 VLX and I'm looking at the back of the boat if I open up the flapper and measure it it only looks 3 inches most of the turn down tips I'm seeing are 3.5 inches or 4 inches...

I mean will those fit my boat or am I gonna need to widen the hole and get a different exhaust hose on the other side you're on the engine side where the clamps are??

I'm looking for the ones that turn down tips and some kind of baffle or silencer inside it.. Anyone have a model number some links???

1 hour ago, thebill said:

So I've got a 2004 VLX and I'm looking at the back of the boat if I open up the flapper and measure it it only looks 3 inches most of the turn down tips I'm seeing are 3.5 inches or 4 inches...

I mean will those fit my boat or am I gonna need to widen the hole and get a different exhaust hose on the other side you're on the engine side where the clamps are??

I'm looking for the ones that turn down tips and some kind of baffle or silencer inside it.. Anyone have a model number some links???

Post a picture or link to photo of your setup. I am guessing you can remove the flapper assemblies, including whatever is bonded to the hull, then you attach the turn down tips where the diameters will work out.

5 hours ago, thebill said:

I can't find my old flapper ports in the junk pile.  Look at your exhaust hose to verify that it is 3.5".  I'm positive that it is.  You'll have to go in there to loosen the clamps anyway, so you can at least take a look before you begin.

The easiest way I found to remove the old flapper ports is to loosen the clamps on the hose, remove the screws, and shove a tapered 2x4 into the port from the outside and use it to pop the port loose.  If the board fits a little snugly into the port you won't break the plastic, it will just pop off with a bit of quick sideways pressure.

Definitely buy new exhaust hose while you are doing this, and consider changing all of your fuel lines as well.  You will never find a better time to do it.

14 hours ago, justgary said:

I can't find my old flapper ports in the junk pile.  Look at your exhaust hose to verify that it is 3.5".  I'm positive that it is.  You'll have to go in there to loosen the clamps anyway, so you can at least take a look before you begin.

The easiest way I found to remove the old flapper ports is to loosen the clamps on the hose, remove the screws, and shove a tapered 2x4 into the port from the outside and use it to pop the port loose.  If the board fits a little snugly into the port you won't break the plastic, it will just pop off with a bit of quick sideways pressure.

Definitely buy new exhaust hose while you are doing this, and consider changing all of your fuel lines as well.  You will never find a better time to do it.

Look I appreciate the advice but I don't wanna be tearing **** off the back of my boat and find out it don't fit...

That's why I'm asking before I do so because I'm not sure what the inner diameter and the outer diameter might make a difference I'm sure once I get that large part out that you're talking about that's holding the flapper and that goes inside the pipe it probably is 1/2 inch so it probably is 3.5 inch...  because you would think if there was a three inch one they'd offer it somewhere...

I mean this is one of those impulse idea where I thought of since, I'm gonna change my manual wedge to a floating wedge while I'm back there how cool would it be to have some more stainless back there and possibly quiet my boat down a little and possibly even if it takes away 5% of the Co then it might be worth doing..

However,

the fact that it has reached 95 with a high humidity here in Texas... I might have to save this project for the fall winter list.. I hate to tear it all apart and find out I have to also widen the hole out and then it has me sweating beat down and upset...

And like you said if I'm gonna do this I might as well change some other things while I'm under there, but I don't want to do that right now..

I was hoping for something quick I thought maybe they had a kit you know that you could just put them on like you do the universal flappers... I did look at the video up there and it seems accurate that it's not easy but it's also pretty straightforward but I may wait till I have more time to take and do everything correctly....

19 hours ago, Jhucke said:

Post a picture or link to photo of your setup. I am guessing you can remove the flapper assemblies, including whatever is bonded to the hull, then you attach the turn down tips where the diameters will work out.

Yeah I didn't wanna do that I mean I understand I could do that and I appreciate the advice but I don't wanna get all torn apart and realize I have to do a lot more work than anticipated you're right it's probably will work out because I don't see any offerings for a three inch so imagine once I get the assembly in full out the hole will be at 3 1/2 inch versus the inner diameter being 3 inch... This was kind of an impulse thought to do this but being it's so damn hot and you and humid in Texas right now and I'm going out weekly with the boat I'm not sure I wanna tear it apart quite yet...

4 hours ago, thebill said:

Yeah I didn't wanna do that I mean I understand I could do that and I appreciate the advice but I don't wanna get all torn apart and realize I have to do a lot more work than anticipated you're right it's probably will work out because I don't see any offerings for a three inch so imagine once I get the assembly in full out the hole will be at 3 1/2 inch versus the inner diameter being 3 inch... This was kind of an impulse thought to do this but being it's so damn hot and you and humid in Texas right now and I'm going out weekly with the boat I'm not sure I wanna tear it apart quite yet...

Can you remove the hose at the other end, where it goes into the muffler?  That hose will be the same diameter on either end, then you'll know if the STE's will fit. 

On 6/11/2024 at 8:36 AM, thebill said:

I mean, removing 2 pipe clamps and taking off some exhaust flanges hardly seems like a lot of work if you wanted to do this mod. Just measure the diameter of your rubber exhaust tubes inside the hull. That's going to tell you pretty easily if the tips will work.

On 6/11/2024 at 12:39 PM, justgary said:

If you weren't that guy before, you are now. 

spacer.png

See that'd be where you go wrong I mean that is why I came here to find out what this project would entail and when I found out I'm saying right at this moment it's not for me and I'm sorry that you're offended that I'm not gonna actually follow your instructions to A T..

that sounds like a little bit of a personality problem, you're upset at my responses, like I'm supposed to have some pre programmed responses, I'm telling you I thought it would be a little easier a little quicker like when we just cut the flappers off and put the ones you can with the stainless cramps on versus replacing the whole assembly...

I I've worked on my boat before, trust me, I just don't at this moment of using my boat weekly and as hot as it is here in Texas and not knowing if this stuff is gonna fit or not it's not gonna work for me at the moment but I probably going to put it on my winter list of things I wanna do before next year's season starts....

But yes ,I came here for help,

I read everything people responded and I also responded back and I'm just choosing not to go ahead with the project because of the advice..

so I got the help I needed you've convinced me it's not something I want to do at the moment... But geez some people just get offended really easily when you don't follow their advice to the T but if you'd like to fly out here and do it for me it's sitting right here in my yard underneath the boat port if it's so easy come do it..lol :notworthy::cheers:

Edited by thebill
23 hours ago, justgary said:

Trust me, I'm not offended.  You asked for help, and when you started getting it you started whining about how it might actually involve you looking inside your own boat to definitively know that you indeed have 3.5" exhaust hose (you do).  Then you started whining about the heat.  I'm pretty sure it isn't any hotter or muggier at your house than it is at mine.  Why ask for help if you know you aren't going to do anything?  By the way, I went out in the heat to look for my flappers to show you what they look like from the other side.  I didn't melt (but maybe they did, which might be why I didn't find them).

I tried to help because I removed my flappers and installed turn-down tips years ago.  I suggested the way I found that was very simple to remove the old ones.  The hardest part for you will be getting in your boat and removing the hose clamps from the inside.  But you are correct, that will actually involve you getting in the boat and manipulating your way past everything else that is in the way.  On my direct drive I had to remove the fuel tank to get access.

As for changing your hoses, I strongly recommend that you put new exhaust and fuel lines in while you are in there.  A ruptured exhaust hose is an excellent way to sink a boat.  A ruptured fuel line is even worse.

actually you are offended and these long winded unnecessary responses  proves it..I explained myself clear and concisely..

now here you are still on the defensive. I got that info i needed, it was useful and ill choose how to go precede. sorry you don't like how i used the info as if that your choice LMAO 

your preconceived notions on how someone supposed to respond is steering you wrong..I came here for MY reasons and whatever way i use that info IS MY business.. ..but again THANKs

59 minutes ago, justgary said:

My only preconceived notion is that everyone on this site should treat others with respect.  If you think I am on the defensive, it is only because you are the one being offensive.  You have a fairly long history on this site of getting yourself butt hurt when somebody tries to help you.  The common denominator is you.  I'll add myself to the growing list of people who won't help you in the future. 

You'll come back with some nice retort to show me the door, but only because you don't recognize that 1) only about a dozen people here actually try to actively help others, 2) those who casually help others read and catch on that you are not courteous or appreciative of the help, and 3) you think that you can say whatever you want to others and still get help.  You'll soon be talking to only yourself.  I wish you only the best in the future.

so you called me that guy you tried to infer i was something bad on the internet and you are being A DEFINTION OF A TROLL RIGHT NOW move on!  YOUR EGO DOESNT FIT THIS THREAD ANYMORE.. get it shrunk! check it at the door.. and i'll tell you again don't tell me how i'm supposed to ask and absorb help.. OK DAd!:argue:.

I asked for a reason, got the advice, chose to pass on project at this time.. someone gets offended and now wont stop explaining his defensiveness. lmao..umm ok  if i did this to my customers who turned down diagnosed recommended work or new system recommendations, they would block me give , me bad review. 

just accept it and walk away. jeez. you have become obsessed move on....

Edited by thebill