Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eagle Trailer??

devklee

The 2015 VLX we are about to purchase says it comes with an Eagle Tandem Axle trailer. Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts with/on this as I haven't really heard or seen much of this trailer at all? I've mostly seen the trailers like the Boatmate ones, which look pretty nice. I've looked online a little but haven't found much regarding them

7 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Very solid trailer and I am happy with mine.  A lot of us in the Midwest have them.  They used to be made in MI but I think the moved to IA.

:plus1:

replaced my corroding boatmate w a galvanized eagle two years ago.  that oem '04 painted boatmate, when dragged through the salt covered roads (we ski if it's not frozen), didn't hold up all that long.

my complaints with the eagle are minimal but should not have to be addressed in a custom built trailer.

the bunks DO NOT fit my hull.  again, this is a custom build for my hull.  i've shimmed but am still wearing through gel coat on the bottom because of the poor fit.  dealer is no help.

the welded spare tire mount has a corroding hair line fracture at the frame weld.  now i have a galvanized trailer w rust.  does not make me happy.  contacted the dealership but i don't expect any satisfaction there.  i'll end up fixing it myself rather than dealing with the frustration of being face to face w my dealer.

i had zero problems with my '04 boatmate which had oil bath bearings while the new eagle has vault like greased bearings.  i don't like maintaining greased bearings all that much.  much, much prefer oil bath.  iirc the oil bath failure mode is catastrophic so they are no longer recommended.

I know a guy that used to be a Prestige dealer.  When they sold to Heritage, he picked up that line.  When the local dealers squawked because he was stealing their business, Heritage took away the line and he then went to Eagle.  According to him, Prestige was top of the line, with Eagle and Heritage being equal, but second to Prestige.  I would guess it would be comparable to a Boatmate.