Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Coming soon....

malibuskier2003

Looks good so far. 

Couple of things. 

Big 12 in a sealed enclosure??? 

Probably should have saved some coin and just ran the XI12d. That woofer really should be in a vented enclosure to play to its potential and see the extra coin you spent come to fruition.

And yes , I use the tongue and groove method on most the boxes I do. I use HDPE feet and the aluminum channel is bolted to the HDPE feet. When trying to squeeze every possible cubic inch out of the space is  necessary , the aluminum allows you to run 1/2" feet if needed. Most are 1" though. 

Edited by Bawshogg

Funny thing about that big 12 sub.  I ordered a Xl12d (along with a Javelin & some 6.5's) but when order showed up, there was a big 12 in the box.  I guess they ran short at time of ship.  I don't really need (or want) a big ported sub at the moment but it will be ice if I ever want to switch.  Based on how it sounds sealed, I can't imagine how it would sound in a ported box.

Problem solved.  New Xi12d on the way.  Big 12 awaiting a return ride to Lake Oswego.  Thought I was going to redo a bunch of work.  Not so much....;)

Dave

• Like 1

The new one is an exact copy of the original, with the woofer hole & heater hose holes cut in it.  Got some extra carpet with the boat, so everything matches.  It'll look better when I put the side piece back in as well.

I forgot to add that the new one is 3/8" plywood.  Nothing fancy, just something to hold the carpet up.

• Like 1

Hey Dave

Is your kick panel able to sit in the same exact spot as the old one? I'm redoing mine now and would prefer it to stay in the same spot but looks like I would need to come forward a little bit building a square box. I just didn't want to get to crazy on having to cut all kinds of angle in the box but yours looks achievable. 

The front edge of the box sits flush with the front edge of the cleats that the bottom of the kick panel screws to.  At 9.5" deep, the sub fits perfectly.  The key is lifting it up off the floor.  My wife was adamant about the ability to return everything to factory condition.  Thus the new panel & no movement of the cleats.  The new panel fits in the same depressions in the side carpet as the factory one made.

Dave

Very nice! I love the keeping the factory look unless you are taking it to say, show quality as other have done on here. I may have to steal you dimensions with slight mods to get the volume down a hair. 

Good thread bud! 

2 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

The front edge of the box sits flush with the front edge of the cleats that the bottom of the kick panel screws to.  At 9.5" deep, the sub fits perfectly.  The key is lifting it up off the floor.  My wife was adamant about the ability to return everything to factory condition.  Thus the new panel & no movement of the cleats.  The new panel fits in the same depressions in the side carpet as the factory one made.

Dave

Got it Dave...thanks. I was under the impression it was sitting further forward than the old thus, was thinking you had to create a wider kick board. Now I understand that your sub box allows for the new kick panel to go back in the same place as the old...nice!

One last question...the context of the tongue and groove and spacer/sound deadening is not clear. Can you indicate how/where these are being used (or share that thread you indicated gave you the idea?  Thanks!

Edited by NCSurfing

Look at the pictures from page 1.  The base (foil looking piece) is 1"shallower than the base of the cabinet.  The piece of aluminum angle screws to the back edge of the base but it doesn't extended past the back edge of the cabinet.  Now look at the picture of the plates & angle.  The plates screw to the hull of the boat & the angle slides under the plates to hold the box in place.  Search  bawshogg, Shawn doggy & IXFE stereo threads & you'll learn a lot.

Dave

16 hours ago, kwebster1 said:

Hey Dave

Is your kick panel able to sit in the same exact spot as the old one? I'm redoing mine now and would prefer it to stay in the same spot but looks like I would need to come forward a little bit building a square box. I just didn't want to get to crazy on having to cut all kinds of angle in the box but yours looks achievable. 

Or u can do this..

On 3/27/2016 at 5:46 PM, NCSurfing said:

Got it Dave...thanks. I was under the impression it was sitting further forward than the old thus, was thinking you had to create a wider kick board. Now I understand that your sub box allows for the new kick panel to go back in the same place as the old...nice!

One last question...the context of the tongue and groove and spacer/sound deadening is not clear. Can you indicate how/where these are being used (or share that thread you indicated gave you the idea?  Thanks!

Found this over the weekend.  The box is upside down, so this is the bottom of the box but it shows what I was trying to describe.  Hope I didn't totally mess you up...

Dave

20160319_110802.jpg

It's alive!  Got to hear it for the first time today.  It's not tuned, it's not buttoned up and it's not tested yet but it sounds damn good.  I can't wait to hear it when it's done. ?

Finished!

20160331_125009.jpg

20160331_125035.jpg

Ended up with a Javelin running the 8 in boats (stock Rockford) and a 12" Xi12d and a XM30.2 running two XM9's on the tower.  It sounds great in the shop.  Going to lake test it in a few days and see how it sounds outside.  

Dave

• Like 3

It looks like you moved the kick panel out a little bit based on where I see it in relation to the carpet.  Did you have to shorten the length of the piece that goes against the side.  Im referring to the piece that spans b/t the facade and panel on the side that holds the circuit breakers and storage box.

43 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

It looks like you moved the kick panel out a little bit based on where I see it in relation to the carpet.  Did you have to shorten the length of the piece that goes against the side.  Im referring to the piece that spans b/t the facade and panel on the side that holds the circuit breakers and storage box.

Nope.  The new kick panel is in the same spot on the right side (the side that butts up against the side panel)and only about 1/2" further out on the left side.  That side panel is the original one.  It's a bit tight to slide it over the pull out heater vent but it does go in.  Keep in mind that the carpet in these pictures is not snapped in place, it's just setting in there.  It's on the dealer prep list for when I actually take delivery of the boat...

Dave

1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

That makes sense.  I may trim my side piece by 1/2 an inch.

Careful.  That might make the side piece angry & that's never good....

Dave

Looks real nice! Whats up with those EQ settings. looks like your boosting a lot of stuff and chopping off the high FREQ? How did it sound on the water?  -Brian