Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Coming soon....

malibuskier2003

20160226_165640.jpg

Here are my freshly powder coated brackets, sitting on top of the Javelin & the XM 30.2.  The ZLD is in the little box & the Bluetooth is in the mail package in the back.  All of this is sitting on the OSB I made the sub template box out of.  On the floor under all of this are the 12" sub and the 2 XM9's.  Another 10 days or so and it will all go in the LSV in my avatar.  Once I check the fit of the template, I will build the box for real.  Things are about to get fun....

Dave

• Like 3

I'm in the middle of a similar Exile build. So keep the pics coming, as I'm enjoying your progress. 

Mis your boat stereo delete?  Or are you just pulling the factory amps out but leaving the RF speakers?

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

I'm in the middle of a similar Exile build. So keep the pics coming, as I'm enjoying your progress. 

Mis your boat stereo delete?  Or are you just pulling the factory amps out but leaving the RF speakers?

Ordered the base stereo (my wife wanted to be able to put everything "back to factory") against my gut feeling.  Pulling the amp, adding sub, towers, ZLD & amps.  I'm ready with the Exile Bluetooth incase I get the redass....

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

Is the OSB your template box ?

Yes,  that box is just a template.  I have 3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood I'm using for the real box (and I will glass it as well).  I am going to use the 1/2" plywood as a new kick panel as per my agreement with the finance committee.  I have to be able to put everything back to factory so I am retaining the factory kick panel in storage.

Pictures to follow.  The sub will be sealed and approximately 1.35 cubic feet.  I'm not interested in sharing my music with the lake, I just want it to sound nice in the cabin.

Dave

20160307_194006.jpg

3 hours in the garage and I'm closer to the final product.  It's just screwed together pending final fit.  Tomorrow  (post test fit) will be glue and glass.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Post your dimensions, Dave. It will help others in the future. :)

Overall dimensions are 21"W x 19"H x 9"D.  The left side is 14" up to the notch and the notch is 5.5" W x 5" H.  The top piece is 15.5" W.  The right side (hull side) is 19" H but the angle starts 3" up from what would be the base.  The bottom piece is 17" W and the angle starts 4" from what would be the right edge.  To the best of my ability to guestimate the volume, I come up with 1.30 - 1.35 cubic feet.  At this point, any adjustments will be minor ones to facilitate final fit.  Tonight I will make any needed adjustments, take it apart, glue it up and reassemble it.  

Dave

20160309_173400.jpg

Glued, screwed and 80% caulked (man that sounds bad).  I'll cut the hole for the sub, finish the caulking and resin the box tonight.  No free time this weekend, so I'll finish up Monday.  I'm probably going to widen out the HDPE feet a little bit as well.

Dave

I "borrowed" a few things from this board.  First up - Bawshogg's tongue & groove solution (spun off of a picture in IXFE's thread):

20160317_171539.jpg

Then a full panel spacer, with sound deadening pads (from the same IXFE thread):

20160317_172159.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

For the record, I got the tongue and groove idea from Shawndoggy (I think he built his out of plastic). But no doubt Baws probably has an ever slicker solution. 

As near as I can tell (chronologically) Shawndoggy got it from Baws....

Dave

lol yeah baws was just stingy with the pics so I had to "invent" my own way of doing it from his narrative description. 

And if I were doing it again I'd just buy a french cleat kit from Lowes.  

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

lol yeah baws was just stingy with the pics so I had to "invent" my own way of doing it from his narrative description. 

And if I were doing it again I'd just buy a french cleat kit from Lowes.  

I lucked out with having the aluminum on hand, otherwise is was off to Lowes for me.....

3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

"my way" does have the advantage of doing double duty between the standoff blocks and the cleat.  FWIW.

Very true.  Personally, I was more comfortable using the aluminum and bypassing the milling/routing involved in the way you did it.  The aluminum offered me a greater margin for error, not necessarily a better way to secure the cabinet.

Dave

nah, I just used a table saw and made successive cuts (just moving the fence a blade's width and recutting) to get the height of each right.  the mating surfaces turn out kinda wavy doing it that way, but I've just convinced myself that that's a feature not a flaw (gives just a little friction for the surfaces to stick to one another).

My router is (was) a harbor freight piece of junk that could never set the depth with any sort of precision.  I have a dewalt router now and may just need to buy a new boat so I can practice again.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

nah, I just used a table saw and made successive cuts (just moving the fence a blade's width and recutting) to get the height of each right.  the mating surfaces turn out kinda wavy doing it that way, but I've just convinced myself that that's a feature not a flaw (gives just a little friction for the surfaces to stick to one another).

My router is (was) a harbor freight piece of junk that could never set the depth with any sort of precision.  I have a dewalt router now and may just need to buy a new boat so I can practice again.

Dont tease me 

17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

They come with a spiffy 5 year warranty now, if you need incentive....

Dave

Did a little more work on the kick panel.  It might just work out....

Compared to the original:

20160318_202740.jpg

Mock up with the heater vents & grill:

20160318_204603.jpg

Dave

• Like 3