Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you use a rope for Surfing to get up?

theGrant

I am curious how many of you use a rope to get up surfing. I have never done it. I just surf off the platform into the wave and back on when I'm done. I have always had success getting others up that route as well. Am I the oddball out there? I see people at the lake struggling to no avail for hours tring to get new people up using the rope. So, where do you fit in? Rope, or no rope?

Yes rope because I dont want the newbies kicking the board into the back of the boat :) But it is fun to surf off the platform after you get use to it.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I learned using a rope.  I sometimes get up the way you are describing if the water/air is cool and I want to try to avoid getting wet.

Tried a couple times to get people to learn to surf that way, but never got anyone close to staying up.  I am actually surprised to hear that you have success teaching that way.

I will often grab the newie's wrist. They are not allowed to hold onto me or they will use me for balance. Then I will give them a little shove off the platform and get them into the sweet spot. Slowly as they seem to be finding thier grove I let pressure off them and crawl back into the boat. By the end of the day they are quite often taking off the platform on thier own.

4 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Problem with this is it is hard on the board. We used to do this all the time when it was really cold until we cracked a board.

I have never thought of that. Maybe because as described above the board would take out my ankles instead! Which is a much better option! Sacrafices must be made!

6 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Problem with this is it is hard on the board. We used to do this all the time when it was really cold until we cracked a board.

Cracking my board may be the only excuse I'll ever have good enough that will convince my wife to allow me to purchase a new one!

I'm pretty sure I would be ticketed on my main lake if I was standing on the platform while the boat was moving. I would rather have people learn the proper way to get up first (using a rope). Sounds a lot better to me than taking a surfboard to the ankle/shin. Once they have the basics down, if they want to start off the platform on a cold day, be my guest. 

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

So you just slide off the platform into the pocket and use no rope at all? Or you have a top to get steady as the wave forms?

We start off the platform when it's cold, 95% of the time it's with a rope, you just get up like on a wakeboard. Start with you heels on the board then as the board starts to go the board pops up to your feet and then it's exactly like a wakeboard. I would have to imagine starting off the platform every time would take a lot more time after falls to get the rider back up. 

I am by no means an expert at teaching surfing, but it seems to me an excellent way to learn.  You can hold onto the rope until you learn to keep up with the boat without having to start over.

I have found that when they are learning they rely to much on the rope to stay in the pocket rather than shifting weight to move around and stay in. If we get away from the rope they seem to progress faster. I am also by no means an expert. Not trying to create an argument, but who defines using a rope to get up the proper way? I should also edit my initial statement. I did learn to surf using a rope. I am capable of doing it. I just don't see the benefits anymore. From the time I fall to the time I'm back surfing again would be less than 2 minutes if my wife is driving. Less downtime is the biggest reason I prefer no rope. I also was kidding about taking a board in the ankles. It hasn't happened yet. But I do have a decent scar on my forehead from the T of the rope catching me in a fluke accident!

the rope is the best way for sure, if you have a fiberglass board it won't last doing a swimpad start and stop, 1000$ board no thanks, also everyone I have taught learns faster with the rope because you are not stopping and starting every minute, let them get as far back as possible and pump forward. thats the way to do it, imo, i just tell them to make sure there is slack in the rope and not tight all time. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to teach without a rope.

Yup I cracked a carbon board from platform starts after only one season. How is it faster without a rope doing hot laps? I can grab the rope as the boat drifts by and be up way faster than if I had to swim to the platform everytime to get setup up.

Edited by nohlan4
  • Like 2

We use a rope... I always tell folks use one that does not have a handle or a very small handle so you don't get a body part caught.  It happened to me early in my surfing days and when I fell my arm got caught up in the handle. Also not a big fan of the longer rope where folks throw it on the other side of the wake.  Just something to get wrapped around a body part.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, Pnwrider said:

I'm pretty sure I would be ticketed on my main lake if I was standing on the platform while the boat was moving. I would rather have people learn the proper way to get up first (using a rope). Sounds a lot better to me than taking a surfboard to the ankle/shin. Once they have the basics down, if they want to start off the platform on a cold day, be my guest. 

I know they will on Sammamish.. ask me how I know :( thankfully I avoided a ticket and got a warning.  I think the cop felt bad for me because I bailed trying it lol

I'm in the group of "use rope 95% of the time (including teaching others) and only do platform start once in awhile".

Well, from everything I have heard, I should give the rope a second chance. It will be a difficult move but you have convinced me to at least try it!