Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Delivery - cooler sucks

MattMatt

Just took delivery of my 2016 A22. The boat is awesome, but I'm not happy with the $93 Axis branded cooler. I don't care that it's an overpriced knockoff, but it doesn't fit! To open the cooler you have to rock it forward otherwise the lid won't open. I asked the dealer and he said they are all like that. Makes me upset that both axis and my dealer would sell an option they know is crap.

Ultimately it's my bad for not trusting the Crew when they said to skip the cooler.

image.jpg

Edited by MattMatt
New pic
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, MattMatt said:

Ultimately it's my bad for not trusting the Crew when they said to skip the cooler.

Well, that'll teach ya.   

:cheers:

Good lookin boat though. Congrats. Kinda Seahawks colors.

• Like 3

It's the same on the 2016 23 lsv. You have to align the cooler in order to open it, or it gets blocked by the rear seat cushion. I am looking to replace it with an AO soft cooler.

• Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:58 AM, MattMatt said:

Just took delivery of my 2016 A22. The boat is awesome, but I'm not happy with the $93 Axis branded cooler. I don't care that it's an overpriced knockoff, but it doesn't fit! To open the cooler you have to rock it forward otherwise the lid won't open. I asked the dealer and he said they are all like that. Makes me upset that both axis and my dealer would sell an option they know is crap.

image.jpg

I saw your boat the other day..  good looking ride!  I have no input on the cooler thing as I use the soft one from AXIS.

• 2 weeks later...

If you put in in backwards opening the lid from the outside of the boat toward the interior in it will work.  Also per someone else's suggestion on another board which is what I would up doing remove the hinges from the lid and it works great.

Has anyone tried to fit the "Stow-N-Go 38 Pack" AO cooler inside the stock cooler?  I'm wondering how flexible they are.  The inside of my stock cooler is 20 x 16 x 8.  The AO has a size spec of 23 x 15 x 8.5

I know I can put it under the port side seat (>36 x 17 x 8.5) but would rather put it in the existing cooler.

Heard the pulling existing cooler out is not fun so want to avoid that.  Have enough projects!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030J017U?colid=1T85B8ZGK4FW5&coliid=I8J8U4KNRUDZJ&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

51 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Has anyone tried to fit the "Stow-N-Go 38 Pack" AO cooler inside the stock cooler?  I'm wondering how flexible they are.  The inside of my stock cooler is 20 x 16 x 8.  The AO has a size spec of 23 x 15 x 8.5

I know I can put it under the port side seat (>36 x 17 x 8.5) but would rather put it in the existing cooler.

Heard the pulling existing cooler out is not fun so want to avoid that.  Have enough projects!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030J017U?colid=1T85B8ZGK4FW5&coliid=I8J8U4KNRUDZJ&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Every weekend all summer long. As long as it's not stuffed full it fits in the boat cooler fine, but the boat cooler in my boat is a bit longer than some of the newer boats. Thats where it was designed to fit, based on the OEM soft cooler many of us got from Malibu when we bought our boats.

20130330_155712_zps83d8b99c.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Every weekend all summer long. As long as it's not stuffed full it fits in the boat cooler fine, but the boat cooler in my boat is a bit longer than some of the newer boats. Thats where it was designed to fit, based on the OEM soft cooler many of us got from Malibu when we bought our boats.

Bill where did you get that cooler / embroidered??  Looks great!

I really like the soft cooler that came with my 2013. Seems really similar to the AO. Holds a s***load of drinks and keeps the ice all day if it's under a seat and out of the sun.

On 3/14/2016 at 9:55 AM, Bill_AirJunky said:

20130330_155712_zps83d8b99c.jpg

I still use mine every outing, over the igloo one that came with the boat.  I have a 48 can AO softside when we are on vacation or long trips, the stow n Go gets used for the day trips.  I use both when theres a large crowd with us

• 1 month later...

Even though Axis is a price point boat, my wife who has owned her own fish and skis(2), and our old fish snd ski together was pissed off that she was buying a new boat without A built in cooler.  I get it that the A20 is a small draft boat and little in hull storage exists, but if this is the cAse in the bigger boats, it sucks! soft side works well as long as you pre cool the drinks, until you hit August in Louisiana and have alot of drinks and then the melt is a little fast (ridiculous if you don't pre cool) and dare not lift it by straps when fully loaded during the day as I fear straps will rip therefore I hold it by the bottom and straps , just figured out the other day you can lift the side cushion like it has a hinge and it sure makes it easier than lifting off the cushion like we used to do.  If I bought a m235 and they showed me that soft side I'd walk off laughing and never return  so tell me please that one has a built in?

1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

Even though Axis is a price point boat, my wife who has owned her own fish and skis(2), and our old fish snd ski together was pissed off that she was buying a new boat without A built in cooler.  I get it that the A20 is a small draft boat and little in hull storage exists, but if this is the cAse in the bigger boats, it sucks! soft side works well as long as you pre cool the drinks, until you hit August in Louisiana and have alot of drinks and then the melt is a little fast (ridiculous if you don't pre cool) and dare not lift it by straps when fully loaded during the day as I fear straps will rip therefore I hold it by the bottom and straps , just figured out the other day you can lift the side cushion like it has a hinge and it sure makes it easier than lifting off the cushion like we used to do.  If I bought a m235 and they showed me that soft side I'd walk off laughing and never return  so tell me please that one has a built in?

Hmm,,, and I am removing my built in cooler on my LSV to make room for bags.... BTW... yes the M235, LSV 23, and LSV 25 all come with coolers... They are not built in, but under seats and are yetis.

On May 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM, kerpluxal said:

Hmm,,, and I am removing my built in cooler on my LSV to make room for bags.... BTW... yes the M235, LSV 23, and LSV 25 all come with coolers... They are not built in, but under seats and are yetis.

As Kerplux said.  I removed my built in because it would not hold us for half a day ( they suck) and  since removed now holds a 370lb tube sac.  Drop in coolers work so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I was certainly one of those guys that was very frustrated with the fact that I paid for a cooler that worked very poorly. I had to remove both the side and rear corner cushion on my A22 to get the lid up.  I did however take someone's advice and remove the hinges and now no issues at all. Before you replace the thing simply pull the hinges off and see if that will work for your needs. It certainly did for me.