Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150 2.7L Ecoboost

cbftbl87

I just leased a 2016 F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost, but have not towed with it yet.  I switched over from a RAM 1500 with the Hemi.  Based purely on the torque specs, it's fairly close to the Ford 5.0L V8 and Hemi.  Has anybody had a chance to give one of these trucks a workout yet?

It's probably fine. My 3.5 eco handles towing like there's nothing back there. Let us know when you do because I was interested in that engine but went with the 3.5 because it was proven. 

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Fully shows 18 MPG for the 2015 model year trucks.  I think the EcoDiesel is 23 for comparison.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150?engineconfig_id=49&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

The ecoDiesel claims 28 MPG but hasn't been getting the mileage that they claim according to most.  But since a Hemi actually does get 22 with the 8 speed there is really no use case for paying the extra money for an eco diesel and being able to tow less.  My 9 year old Hemi with the 6 speed still gets 20MPG on the highway

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Ram_1500_Pickup.shtml

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The ecoDiesel claims 28 MPG but hasn't been getting the mileage that they claim according to most.  But since a Hemi actually does get 22 with the 8 speed there is really no use case for paying the extra money for an eco diesel and being able to tow less.  My 9 year old Hemi with the 6 speed still gets 20MPG on the highway

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Ram_1500_Pickup.shtml

EPA fuel economy overall hasn't been a good way to see what would happen in real-world results.  That is why I posted the link to fuelly.  Real world reports from many people that drive the vehicles.  

You are right in that the Fuelly reports do not match up with the EPA for the EcoDiesel.  But do a comparison of it vs the other engines and it still gets considerably better MPG.  

According to fuelly, the average MPG for a 2010 Hemi is 14.6 MPG.  That is 13 vehicles reporting 357,850 total miles

By comparison, 2014-2016 EcoDiesel reports a range of 22.4 - 22.7 MPG.  That is tracking 425 vehicles over 5,465,260 miles.

The best MPG in a Hemi is the 2015 MY at 16.0.  79 vehicles and about 500,000 miles.

Not sure how you can argue that the gassers can compare in MPG with the EcoDiesel.  The above data shows that the ED gets at least the same overall MPG as anecdotal evidence of what the Hemi might be doing on the highway.

I don't want to turn this into a brand war, or gas vs diesel.  Just pointing out if MPG is important, there is a clear winner.  Towing power is a completely different thing.

Funny thing about mileage reporting is that it all depends on where you drive - MN is flat ;)  And 357K miles reported isn't much of a sample since my truck has 132K all by itself.

In any event my point was that the ecoDiesel has been a big disappointment for a lot of the folks that own them for a variety of reasons.  The dealers are not exactly filling the lots with them any more.

I'm curious to see how the 2.7l handles towing as well.  I bought my truck before the new boat, and went with the 5.0l as I plan to keep it for years and just wanted tried and true displacement, but it certainly leaves some to be desired about 20% of the time towing on long trips/hills.  It will sit in 4th gear at 3k rpms at 70mph for a few miles during and after a good incline.  Maybe I'm driving too fast, or maybe it's normal, or maybe an ecoboost would just tow my boat without a single hiccup, but I didn't think a diesel was for me as the truck sits majority of the time since it's a 3rd vehicle mainly used for trips to Lowe's, towing the boat, or vacations.

Please report back on your impressions.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Funny thing about mileage reporting is that it all depends on where you drive - MN is flat ;)  And 357K miles reported isn't much of a sample since my truck has 132K all by itself.

In any event my point was that the ecoDiesel has been a big disappointment for a lot of the folks that own them for a variety of reasons.  The dealers are not exactly filling the lots with them any more.

Which is exactly why a site like fuelly is useful in comparing different vehicles.  If there are dozens of reporters, and hundreds of thousands of miles, you get a better idea than any single reporter.  Don't like the numbers on a 2010 Hemi?  Look at the 2011 or 2012.  You will find more miles reported.  Reported MPG is always about the same, and always significantly lower than the reports on an EcoDiesel.

I don't own an EcoDiesel, but if I were in the market for a 1500, I would be intrigued.  I haven't seen any reports of "big disappointment" for the truck, quite the contrary.  The forums I read have mostly satisfied owners.  And I have not seen any reports since the truck first came out of how it is selling.  I do remember early reports that sales were significantly higher than anticipated.  Not sure if that has continued.

8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

My guess is the savings in fuel on the EcoDiesel, once considering the price difference between 87 and diesel, never gets to a point where it breaks even for the initial cost over the Hemi.  Combo that with an engine that doesn't tow or perform as well and no one would want it because it makes no sense to get it. 

1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

My guess is the savings in fuel on the EcoDiesel, once considering the price difference between 87 and diesel, never gets to a point where it breaks even for the initial cost over the Hemi.  Combo that with an engine that doesn't tow or perform as well and no one would want it because it makes no sense to get it. 

Pretty weak argument.  First, at least where I live, diesel is $1.65/gallon vs $1.55/gallon for regular unleaded.  6% difference in fuel cost when there is a 47% difference in fuel economy in the reports above (22.4 MPG for the ED vs 14.6 on the Hemi).

You also forget about resale value of a diesel vs gas.  Right now that might be a bit of an unknown, but if it follows what happens in the HD lines (other than a 6.0), you will get the $$ back at the end of your ownership.

Even if you discount that, the diesel is just an option.  Do you look at the "break even" cost of other options like leather interior, or an upgraded option package?

An engine that doesn't tow or perform well?  I guess we have been reading different reviews.  Everything that I have read about the engine talks about how well it performs (especially when not towing, which is what most 1500 series pickups do the majority of the time).

Finally, your "no one would want it" has been proven completely false, as the trucks do sell.

On March 2, 2016 at 6:03 AM, wkendwarrior said:

What kind of mileage is the 2.7 supposed to get?

High teens -low 20's based on driving habits. These are actual numbers a coupe of my friends are getting on 15 2.7 super crew 4X4

Edited by BamaLSV

My Brother has a 15 extended cab with the 2.7 and he puts on A LOT of miles.  He really likes the truck and says it feels pretty quick.  Cruising the freeway empty he gets about 21-22 mpg.  He also pulls a 12 ft aluminum trailer for work sometimes with about 2,000 lbs on it and gets 13-14 mpg.  He pulled our 09 VLX last fall to the dealer about 2 hours away and said it was not the most enjoyable tow.  He did not track mileage for that short trip but did say it lacked power for that kind of weight and would not be his choice for pulling the boat.  I pulled the same boat with my 15 Ram (5.7 Hemi) and was pleased.  Again I did not track mileage for that trip but if I had to guess I would say about 13.  Cruising the freeway I will get 18 mpg.  Around town closer to that 16 mpg.       

Thanks to all for the replies.  I have not towed yet...probably won't until I get the boat out of storage next month.  Snowmobile season is over as well!  Just as a daily driver, I am pleased so far.  The gas mileage is averaging 18-19 and that's mostly city driving.  It doesn't quite have the guts my hemi had, but it is realistically enough I think.   

The true test will be a four place enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded with sleds and gear, cruising at 75mph on the freeway.  I opted for the trailer tow package and added the OEM brake controller as well.  They claim it's good for 7600lbs.  I'm hoping I won't regret not getting the 3.5L ecoboost.

On 3/2/2016 at 7:03 AM, wkendwarrior said:

What kind of mileage is the 2.7 supposed to get?

window sticker says 18 city, 23 highway

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to pull the boat from storage today and give the truck a try.  I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with how much torque this little motor puts out.  I honestly can't tell much difference from the Hemi I had.