Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Funny things a Salesman Told You

Ndawg12

this adds nothing, but one thing that's an absolute sure fire no doubt about it turn off for me is a salesman who smokes.  Especially the guy who stubs out his grit right before he comes over to talk to me.  Might as well greet me by farting in my face.

While I completely understand the "its a transaction" point of view (and frankly, totally agree with it when buying cars) I will say that a boat sales guy is absolutely going to be a "relationship guy," and that I've got nothing but good things to say about the guy we bought our MB from in Sacto.  We had a couple of "working out the kinks" issues with the boat when new and he went absolutely above and beyond to make sure we were happy.

1 hour ago, isellacuras said:

That is the relationship that G-mack is not interested in having.  With it being just a business transaction, G-mack will not get that type of treatment.  As far as licenses go, I would reprimand my guys if they didn't get a license, regardless of who they are.  We have a lot of liability when we send a car out with no dealer rep with them and not having the proper documentation.  If anything happens on that short drive, there could be problems with the insurance company which could get ugly.  I am not about taking that risk.  You can drive it on your own but we will get the correct documentation to do so.

I will admit I dont want that treatment. If we both have a factual discussion and agree what fair is I am happy. Making me feel special or trying to make me feel special will not change the outcome. If you tell me how you will treat me better than the other dealer... I will ask how and can you show me examples.

I will also be fair to you Isellacuras. I have no disrespect for people selling cars and the process that is the norm in the industry(negotiation), that is the way the transaction works. I just do not see value in the perceived value of that relationship. Getting to test drive a car without a license or whatever is not a relationship....... without the potential of tens of thousands of dollars changing hands that relationship doesnèt exist.

...... back on topic....funny story....... I had a salesman tell me.... he was the best salesman I would ever had and said he would personally drive the 1-1é2 hours to bring my car back to the dealership for service. I asked him to put it in the special conditions of the sale and he refused and asked if I didnèt trust him..... that is the stuff that detracts from the transaction...... with that noise can I trust he is being factual on the price.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

this adds nothing, but one thing that's an absolute sure fire no doubt about it turn off for me is a salesman who smokes.  Especially the guy who stubs out his grit right before he comes over to talk to me.  Might as well greet me by farting in my face.

While I completely understand the "its a transaction" point of view (and frankly, totally agree with it when buying cars) I will say that a boat sales guy is absolutely going to be a "relationship guy," and that I've got nothing but good things to say about the guy we bought our MB from in Sacto.  We had a couple of "working out the kinks" issues with the boat when new and he went absolutely above and beyond to make sure we were happy.

My Malibu dealer treats me with respect and i return it. Their service delivers what they promise , their parts and accessories dept give me a very good price so they earned my business. 

On 2/25/2016 at 11:31 PM, Ndawg12 said:

Tomorrow I will post a story about a beater truck driven by a down-to-earth humble wealthy individual who was treated the same way as mentioned by a few others. Love telling this story...

Then FN tell it, we've all been waiting patiently...........................................

My RV/Camper salesman friend explained to me once that his easy mark is a husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend that are on the lot or at the RV show more or less randomly without any thought of buying today, and even better if they didn't even think of going to the RV dealer or RV show until that morning. The less they knew about the product the easier the sale.

55 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

Then FN tell it, we've all been waiting patiently...........................................

Good lord, don't get your panties in a wad Joe!!

This was probably 8-10 years ago, I'll try not to make the fish much bigger than it really was :biggrin:  So in a small town called Napoleon Ohio there's a subdivision called Twin Oaks.  I'd guess houses range from ~200k to ~800k.  A wealthy chiropractor was moving out of the subdivision and had his house listed for sale.  A local real estate agent known for her extreme arrogance is showing the house to a guy that had contacted her from out of town.  She's waiting at the house as he shows up in his 1995 beat up chevy pickup.  He hops out wearing some worn out jeans and a t-shirt.  From what I heard, she basically laughed at him, told him he was wasting her time, and left.  So he contacted the most beloved real estate agent in the area (my parents have used him many times for rental property purchases) and enters a contract on the house that day.  He paid cash at closing, somewhere around 600k.  Turns out he was a 3 time Indy Car Champ turned Nascar driver trying to live under the radar in small town Napoleon, OH.

• Like 3

Love stories like that.  We had that happen at one of the local car dealerships here.  He  was treated the same and left.  He headed to the dealer 1 mile down the road and bought a new pickup with cash.  Serves a shallow salesman right!  The suit doesn't make the man.

40 minutes ago, 3sport said:

Yet how many on here denigrate "kids" for wearing flatbills and baggy pants?

I do and always will.  And now my 17 year old has a man bun.  Ugh.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

What about the guy you bought your LSV from? Transaction or relationship?

Wait... don't answer that. It could violate TOU. ;)

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I do and always will.  And now my 17 year old has a man bun.  Ugh.

Ha. My nephew has a man bun. Wish I was cool enough (and had enough hair) to pull it off. 

I boat on a lake in PA but live in NJ.  Have Bu dealers on lake and in in NJ near me.  At first I tried to work a deal with the PA dealer, but it didn't work out. So I saw 15 VLX at the Jersey dealer.  Took a look at the boat and saw the advertised price in the showroom.  The boat was not heavily optioned so I thought hey I probably could get a decent price...wrong, he upcharged me $6000 because he had to work a deal with the PA dealer.  So I called the PA dealer and said what gives???  97k for a 15' VLX??  His reply, stop by I will get you in a 16' for much less with everything you want!  So I do and the rest is history!  Fast forward a few months at the NYC Boat Show and I see the NJ dealer...he says, I understand you ordered a new boat and I say yes sir with a big smile on my face...

2 hours ago, ctvandy23 said:

I boat on a lake in PA but live in NJ.  Have Bu dealers on lake and in in NJ near me.  At first I tried to work a deal with the PA dealer, but it didn't work out. So I saw 15 VLX at the Jersey dealer.  Took a look at the boat and saw the advertised price in the showroom.  The boat was not heavily optioned so I thought hey I probably could get a decent price...wrong, he upcharged me $6000 because he had to work a deal with the PA dealer.  So I called the PA dealer and said what gives???  97k for a 15' VLX??  His reply, stop by I will get you in a 16' for much less with everything you want!  So I do and the rest is history!  Fast forward a few months at the NYC Boat Show and I see the NJ dealer...he says, I understand you ordered a new boat and I say yes sir with a big smile on my face...

that is screwed up...... if two malibu dealers were playing territory games at my expense ... i would have a simple answer....... g23 or se450 or (insert)

14 hours ago, IXFE said:

What about the guy you bought your LSV from? Transaction or relationship?

Wait... don't answer that. It could violate TOU. ;)

Transaction, this is a must when spending a lot of $$$$.

• Like 1

I do not want a "relationship" with a sales person.  I love them telling me they need to make money on the deal...that is a them problem, not a me problem.  The less they make the better for me.  If they take a loss, even better.  I will only negotiate out the door, after tax, final price I am paying because of their dumb add-on BS (title fees, doc fees, etc.).  Nope, here is my offer, you figure out the numbers behind it.

I'm looking for a truck now and am NOT looking forward to dealing with these idiots.

35 minutes ago, wakerider107 said:

I don't really look for a relationship with a car salesman but boats are different. Do you guys not care about a relationship with your boat salesman or dealer?

I have a good relationship with my car dealer and it is important to me.  I have purchased 10 or so rides from him.  I can reach him 24/7, I can text him and I know that he would dispatch a replacement vehicle anywhere I might need one.

• Like 3

Having a relationship with the dealer is not a bad thing, it also does not mean your going to get a bad deal.  It is actually frequently argued to the contrary on here that the "bro deal" doesn't happen without that relationship.   I still get a very good deal and have the relationship.  Win win.  

I believe having a good working relationship with the dealership/sales person is important with any type of big ticket, car/boat/RV.  

I also agree with Shawn a smoking sales person will lose my sale, my personal pet peeve.

4 hours ago, wakerider107 said:

I don't really look for a relationship with a car salesman but boats are different. Do you guys not care about a relationship with your boat salesman or dealer?

Why do I need to have a relationship with a boat salesman or dealer.  I bought this boat in 2011.  I've never set foot in a boat dealership since owning it.  Last boat, I stepped in a dealership once in 2000 to buy the boat and probably a couple times after to grab a couple parts from the counter...this was before online shopping was as popular as it is now.  Every dealership in Ohio could go out of business and it would have 0.0 impact on my boating experience.  I take that back, there would probably be less wally's/boaters, so it would improve it. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Having a relationship with the dealer is not a bad thing, it also does not mean your going to get a bad deal.  It is actually frequently argued to the contrary on here that the "bro deal" doesn't happen without that relationship.   I still get a very good deal and have the relationship.  Win win.  

I believe having a good working relationship with the dealership/sales person is important with any type of big ticket, car/boat/RV.  

I also agree with Shawn a smoking sales person will lose my sale, my personal pet peeve.

buddy of mine owns a tire shop, he jokes(?) that he charges his friends retail +20 cause they don't shop around...

In high school and college I worked for a GM dealership as a mechanic. Couldn't belive how many times the sales guys would sell the bare bones 1/2 trucks as the "ultimate tow vehicle." I would always see it because a week later they would be in complaining about no power and smoking brakes when towing a giant trailer.

i also had more than one customer come in complaining about poor traction is the mud/snow only to realize that what they thought was 4wd was really a bait and switch 2wd.

Sure the customer should have been smart enough to notice, but they were expecting good advice.

Great story Surfnut!! I'm in a very similar situation as you with all of the experiences. Going to finally pick up my first boat Friday, I've grown up around the lake my whole life so I know all about the lake life and boating but have never owned one myself. My dealer experience has been nothing short of exceptional!! I would consider my salesman, and the owner of the shop, friends. They gave me an amazing deal based on all the info I've gathered from this great forum. They took the boat to the stereo shop and picked it up, now they are taking it to the tint shop and picking it up and are going to have it all ready to go for me to pick it up the end of the week. There was a problem with the vinyl pattern not lining up on the front backrest, I brought it to their attention and they immediately contacted Malibu and have a new piece coming. Completely great service!!! Went on a demo with them, there was no rush whatsoever. I drove the boat, asked a ton of questions, surfed, wake boarded, the whole nine yards and it went great. Anyway, I guess my point of all this is, I feel great having a friendship/relationship with my dealer, at the end of the day they are people just like me and they have to make their money just like the rest of us!

On 2/28/2016 at 7:09 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Why do I need to have a relationship with a boat salesman or dealer.  I bought this boat in 2011.  I've never set foot in a boat dealership since owning it.  Last boat, I stepped in a dealership once in 2000 to buy the boat and probably a couple times after to grab a couple parts from the counter...this was before online shopping was as popular as it is now.  Every dealership in Ohio could go out of business and it would have 0.0 impact on my boating experience.  I take that back, there would probably be less wally's/boaters, so it would improve it. 

That's good to hear you have had a trouble free boat! I wouldn't say you need to have that relationship, but having someone you can call 24/7 that is on your good side is a huge bonus to many people. Having worked in boat sales, many customers find value in being able to contact me after hours or on holidays if an issue comes up. Even prior to that job, the guy I purchased a new boat from was always available which was great because there were a few kinks to work out and missing a weekend of boating when there are only 3 months of good weather really sucks.