Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Funny things a Salesman Told You

Ndawg12

I haven't created a new topic on the upgraded site yet so mostly I just wanted to see how it was different :biggrin:  Anyways, many of us have attended boat shows and been on demo rides recently, so what are some of the craziest things these guys tried to tell you.  I am not an expert on every model out there but I know enough from being on this site and boats in general that I know when I'm getting fed a line of BS from a 20 year old flat biller.  Pursed lips and a continuous head nod while trying to contain my internal laughter, you know you've been there too :biggrin:  I'll start:

• Did you know that the new black smooth vinyl in the Mastercrafts dries super fast and is non-mold, non-mildew, and non-heat?
  • Mastercrafts engine line up for 2016 is 85% more fuel efficient than previous years.  
  • Contrary to the post of 4 M's in production right now, there are only 12 M's to be produced in all of 2016.
  • This seat folds out into a wake view bench and it's super easy.  After a wrestling match, a consultation with another salesman, and 3 minutes later I got to sit in it.

Maybe you had to be there but these stick out in my mind among many other "did he just say that" moments.

• Like 4

Not something a salesman said, but something a salesman did. For my current boat, 23lsv lS3, we drove 8 hours to go look at it. We put it in the water, I surfed it, a buddy surfed it. We drove around. Not once did the salesman ask if I wanted to drive it. I had to ask him if I could drive it. I just thought that was a little surprising that he never offered. Also, we didn't turn the radio on until it was back on the trailer. I guess my idea of a demo on a boat this expensive and his idea were different. Maybe he thought since I drove 8 hours, he already had it sold.

Edited by ponderosasurf
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

When the new Prostar came out, I had a salesman tell me that the TXi was the worst ski boat on the market.

They are always the first to bash another brand.  And that infection spreads to most of their customers.  At least from my experience.  

3 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

I really dislike working with "salesman".  I have a hard time believing anything they say....anything.

That said, there is one that I really like.  He is just a knowledgeable person, hangs out with you, answers your questions straight, sets up demos for you.  Point is I don't think of him as a salesman.

Bret at Hagadone Marine...... he's just a good guy who sells boats for a living.

• Like 1

Tige salesman told me Axis boats aren't build in the same factory as Malibu boats but somewhere in Mexico.  Thought he was joking.  Nope, dead serious.  The hulls are apparently also paper thin to reduce costs.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I was at our boat show last weekend.  This guy was bent on selling me a new 23LSV.  I was like "Man, this thing is beautiful.  But I'm not buying a boat today, just enjoying the show, having some beers, etc.".  As I was telling him that, and talking about wakes, the Echelon, etc. another salesman corrals my wife.  Walks her up into the boat.  OK, it's a tag team.  This guy pulls me aside, and drops the price by $2.5k.  Starts showing me the surf band - pretty cool!  But I'm still not buying a boat today.  He remains somewhat subtle, but eventually starts the hard sell: "You know you are buying this boat today, it's just a matter of price".  I reply "Dude - buying a boat today is the dumbest thing I can possibly think of.  It would make more sense to smash my car into a wall, or set my house on fire.  There is no way in he11 that I am buying a boat today, this week, or this year."  He replies: "Ok, ok.  I guess I should call my buddy off" and we turn and look at the other sales guy, who is standing in the walk thru as my wife is sitting at the helm and he's showing all of the guages and stuff.  Then he's like "Nah, he needs the practice"...and I walked over to the Response.

Man I went on Friday mid day and there was NO pressure at all. Was this at tommy's?

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

"Buy this boat and all of your dreams will come true."

Pedro, now a boat salesman.

Reminds me of my all time favorite boat salesman quote:

"Buy this Mastercraft and you'll get a $25k mail-in rebate!"

- Mark, former dealership owner

812F6F17-FED7-442D-844A-EAEE0CE6212F_zps

I went to the local ram dealer, found a truck i really liked, went in to do the deal.  Sales manager was a complete DB, offers me 4k BELOW wholesale because my kid hauler (minivan) had stains on the carpet.  i gave him my lowest number i would take, he then got offensive towards me and my wife so we got up and walked out, he chases us to the parking lot and is like so were not going to make a deal.  I semi politly told him to pound sand.  

3 hours later we stopped back by in a new 
Truck purchased from the next closest dealer, i stopped back to tell the sales person they had done a great job, which they did, but thier GM screwed them! The worst part for the dealer is we have bought 4 cars from the good dealer since this happened.  

• Like 2

A couple more.

Shopping for our first new boat.  Wife and I had our hearts set on a Cobalt.  Went to the dealership, wander around for quite a while without anyone bothering to come over and talk to us.  Finally search out a salesman and tell him we were interested in the 21' boat on the floor.  Ask what the price is, response "doesn't that one have a sticker on it?  What does it say?".  I responded that yes, it does have a sticker, but I was interested in buying and wanted to know what it would take to bring it home.  His response was "we don't usually go down at all from MSRP.  Whatever it says is what you will pay".

When we bought our first RV, went to look at 5th wheel trailers.  Salesman tells us we can "go outside and take a look.  Come back and find me if you like something".  We went outside and all the RVs were locked.  Went back in, and salesman was nowhere to be found.

And I remember looking for a boat with my parents back in the early '90's.  Dad had a rental Dodge Neon that we were driving.  Interested in the Mariah's, salesman would only show us the low line Sunbirds.

My experiences were when we were newly married and pretty young.  But I already had a pretty good job, and we didn't have kids.

Way too often salespeople seem to make judgements based on age or what you are driving.  I get great attention if the weather is nice and I am driving my Cayman.  Attention is not nearly as good when I was driving my old Grand Cherokee winter car.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

He remains somewhat subtle, but eventually starts the hard sell: "You know you are buying this boat today, it's just a matter of price".  I reply "Dude - buying a boat today is the dumbest thing I can possibly think of.  It would make more sense to smash my car into a wall, or set my house on fire.  There is no way in he11 that I am buying a boat today, this week, or this year." 

Funny, this exact same thing happened to me last week at the truck dealership.  I pretty much responded the same way, the words "No way in hell" come to mind.

2 dealerships later, another salesman was sitting in his chair in total shock over the fact that he wasn't haggling with us, but rather, my wife and I were haggling in front of him on whether or not we were buying a new truck...AND I WAS THE ONE HAGGLING AGAINST IT!

End of the story: 2 hours later, I was driving my new Chevy Silverado 4x4 home.  Apparently I lost the argument.

Edited by DIE2SURF
1 hour ago, wakebrdr94 said:

When I bought my first new boat, I asked how much the VLX was.  The salesman asked me my age, (I was 26 at the time), then he told me I couldn't afford the boat.  Ran into him at the boat show a month later and bought it from the other Malibu dealer that they were splitting the booth with....

I walked into a Mercedes dealership and rather than being told I couldn't afford it they just never acknowledged me for over half an hour. I guess it is not possible for a mid-twenty's kid wearing board shorts and a quicksilver t-shirt to afford a Benz.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DIE2SURF said:

Funny, this exact same thing happened to me last week at the truck dealership.  I pretty much responded the same way, the words "No way in hell" come to mind.

2 dealerships later, another salesman was sitting in his chair in total shock over the fact that he wasn't haggling with us, but rather, my wife and I were haggling in front of him on whether or not we were buying a new truck...AND I WAS THE ONE HAGGLING AGAINST IT!

End of the story: 2 hours later, I was driving my new Chevy Silverado 4x4 home.  Apparently I lost the argument.

It's funny how the wife usually ends up getting what she wants. My dad always told me growing up to "make her happy now or prepare for the pain in the a$$ she becomes until she is happy!"

We've always spent most of our time at the big 3 inboard company's booths during the boat show. However, this year I saw a black and yellow sanger DXII that I liked and went over to get a closer look. Apparently the sanger dealers don't attract the most skilled salespeople as this guy had a few teeth missing and I had a hard time listening to his broken english. Here's the main points of his sales pitch about the DXII:

1. "This boat hauls a** up to 65 mph! You'll never go faster on the water in your life!" It had a base Chevy 350 engine

2. "A black and yellow boat really attracts attention on the lake. You'll be noticed like you've never been before." Until I mentioned that our current boat is a bumble bee

3. "This thing can take 3 foot waves no problem! It doesn't pound the water when encountering waves like most direct drives do."