Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PPI 900.4 for single set of Exile XM9?

BuNewb

Hi team - this feels a bit spammy but I am looking for some opinions. I have only found this discussed directly on WakeWorld and I know some of you love to chat about stereo stuff. 

SPOILER ALERT: I am a novice when it comes to stereo set ups. I have a PPI900.4 driving my stock in boats and controlling that from a Exile ZLD that I wired bluetooth to (no head unit). 

I want to add tower speakers this Spring and will be purchasing one set of either Exile XM9 or Wetsounds Rev10. I feel very strong about those.

The amp I have no skin in the game. I am skeptical that I need a syn4 or comparable exile harpoon. Would an additional bridged PPI 900.4 power these well? Just curious. Goal is to hear well at 80 feet. I know everyone generally feels strongly about what they own but just starting a conversation. 

If you are considering the 8" xm9, then also consider the 8" Wet Sounds Rev-8. The much larger (in surface are) Rev-10 is really in a class of their own and not a fair comparison to any 8" HLCD. Much more output and deeper mid-bass then an 8" driver. Their hang height is actually not much more than the xm9 considering its a 10" speaker v's an 8". There is only about a $150 difference between the Rev-8 and Rev-10. Well worth the look. 

The long retired 2 chnl class-A/B harpoon is nothing anywhere close to the class-G/H Wet Sounds Syn-4. Besides the Syn series being an actual marine built amp and the harpoon being an automotive amp, the Syn-4 can produce 400W rms x 2 to a single pair of speaker and has a much better set of controls. The harpoons 4 ohm output is along the lines of the Wet Sounds Syn-2 2 chnl marine amp. Power wise, the Harpoon and Syn-2 are good wattage for an 8" HLCD but driving it to its potential by any means. A Syn-4 in 2 chnl mode to a single pair of 8" HLCD is way more then they need. Tuning is crucial but the extra head-room is nice. A bridged ppi900.4 is similar wattage, but the comparison ends there. For a single pair of 8" HLCD, I would consider the HT-4 (phasing out I believe) or newer HTX-4 Wet Sounds amps. Class-D efficiency and marine built with a potential of 300W rms x 2. 

and this is why I post...did not realize the Rev10 was so much larger. Any budget amp options for a rev10? Or is it syn4 all the way and I should have cashed in on the cybermonday sale? 

Well, the ppi 900.4 is a budget option, along with the polk pa4000.4. Both deliver similar wattage as the Syn-4. Having listened to the Rev-10 and others on these budget amps, they just sound a little "thin" at the upper volume levels as compared to the Syn-4, SD-2 and the JL 750/1 and the likes. This budget amps can make some wattage, but they are budget amps for a reason. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, BuNewb said:

and this is why I post...did not realize the Rev10 was so much larger. Any budget amp options for a rev10? Or is it syn4 all the way and I should have cashed in on the cybermonday sale? 

Simple answer. The Syn4 @ 400 watts is the best option for the Rev10's, even for the money. If you like JL more, then the 750/1 will rock them as good with a hair less power (you won't notice). Want non marine? Arc Audio KS300.4 is also viable. 

Less power will be the discontinued HT or shipping now HTX @300 watts a speaker or the XDi600.4 @300 watts... 

Edited by Truekaotik