Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VTX - Help w/best inital wake investment piece?

Therock482

Hey all - I just bought a 2009 VTX this past weekend and joined this site, needless to say I'm stoked for summer!

I have been reading the forum for about an hour and I have found various opinions about surf gates, ballast bags and piggy back systems. My initial question is how make my first investment of $500-$600 create the most impact for wake surfing? Is a piggy back system or wicked wake device going start me off better? The wicked wake device for both sides is about $500 and the wakemakers piggy back system is about $550.

My VTX has the bow, center and rear MLS hard tanks. We plan to surf mostly on the port side however we have a couple friends that surf goofy. I would like to be able to switch sides pretty quick if needed and not listing the boat sounds appealing to me.

I'm not looking for the biggest wake in the world to start, but something that is clean and fun.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jake

My sister has an '08.  They have the wicked wake set up and their surf wave is every bit as good as mine, but key is extra ballast. If budget is limiting you to one or the other, I'd go with the bags and list the boat. 

• Like 1

Just increase your budget now and get on with it ;)

The alternative will be to nickle and dime yourself into mid summer.  Suggest piggyback and either manual or auto gates.  How's the stereo? :whistle:

Welcome to the crew where everyone is willing and ready to help you spend your money.

Thanks guys! I'm sure it will all come together in time. 

The stereo is great, the boat has the whole Rockford fosgate package, 3 amps, 12" sub and tower speakers. 

Edited by Therock482
Spelling

I am doing the same thing as you. The bakes piggyback is more expensive but has a couple of advantages (mainly fast draining) with the extra pump. If you are patient and want an exact fit go with the wakemakers (if you support the forum you get 10% off at both sites). Bakes 750 system leaves room for fill and the bakes 1100's you can overfill. 

I am also planning a wake shaper system and a front or ski locker area bag.

Wake Shape Options:

http://wake-shaper.com/purchase/

Mission wake shaper

Wicked Wake

DIY

Do you have front factory ballast already? Also what prop do you have?

Buy the bags. Don't worry about how fast that they will fill and drain. You won't have to list from side to side because your going to buy a 2x12 and make a poor man's wicked wake until you can get a better setup. I run the 2x12's. They are ugly as hell but function just as well!

1 minute ago, theGrant said:

Buy the bags. Don't worry about how fast that they will fill and drain. You won't have to list from side to side because your going to buy a 2x12 and make a poor man's wicked wake until you can get a better setup. I run the 2x12's. They are ugly as hell but function just as well!

You need to at least post pics with that statement, or maybe some beer can style instructions? I am all for cheap and inelegant to try something.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, theGrant said:

I think this is the right approach, but bags and make my own surf gate for now. Do you have pictures?

I would buy the bags for sure first.  2 locker bags and 1 bow bag.  

Get This https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-ultimate-wakeboard-sumo-pump-package.html

Don't waste your time with the piggy back.  Just go straight to fully reversible system once you have the money.

If you want faster fill times just buy a second pump.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
9 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I would buy the bags for sure first.  2 locker bags and 1 bow bag.  

Get This https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-ultimate-wakeboard-sumo-pump-package.html

Don't waste your time with the piggy back.  Just go straight to fully reversible system once you have the money.

If you want faster fill times just buy a second pump.

Fully reversible for the entire boat or the additional bags? Seems to be about $500 a bag for a full reversible setup. 

Those aren't the bags you want. Wakemakers makes a custom bag specifically for the 2005-2009 VLX and its a 910 pound bag. https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag.html (you want the 45x25x20)

If you don't get the wakemakers set get 1100's and don't fill to the top.

Go sumo for the front triangle sac if you want, but their new faster bags are mostly out now and probably worth it.

7 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Fully reversible for the entire boat or the additional bags? Seems to be about $500 a bag for a full reversible setup. 

Those aren't the bags you want. Wakemakers makes a custom bag specifically for the 2005-2009 VLX and its a 910 pound bag. https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag.html (you want the 45x25x20)

If you don't get the wakemakers set get 1100's and don't fill to the top.

Go sumo for the front triangle sac if you want, but their new faster bags are mostly out now and probably worth it.

The OP has a VTX not a VLX   -  1100's I doubt would fit

My suggestion stays with in his budget,  Going custom wakemakers is going to blow his budget

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
1 minute ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

The OP has a VTX not a VLX   -  1100's I doubt would fit

My bad he wants these: 640lb WakeMakers LBS 40" x 20" x 20"

Did you go full reversible everywhere or just your add ons?

4 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

My bad he wants these: 640lb WakeMakers LBS 40" x 20" x 20"

Did you go full reversible everywhere or just your add ons?

I still think he gets more bang for his buck with the SUMO combo.  and it gives him a pump. 

I have 3 reversible pumps for my locker sacks and bow sack.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
1 minute ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I still think he gets more bang for his buck with the SUMO combo.  and it gives him a pump. 

I have 3 reversible pumps for my locker sacks and bow sack.

I think the price is good, but I hate buying things i will re-buy. And the VTX may be way different, but all of the nice setups on the VLX have 4000+ pounds, I am guessing the extra 400 pounds with the LBS setup may come in handy. I think those are the two schools of thought though.

14 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

How can a bag be faster?    They are both 1 inch ports

1 minute ago, 95echelon said:

I think the price is good, but I hate buying things i will re-buy. And the VTX may be way different, but all of the nice setups on the VLX have 4000+ pounds, I am guessing the extra 400 pounds with the LBS setup may come in handy. I think those are the two schools of thought though.

I am with you on buying things twice.  That is why I recommend not buying the piggy back system and only get the ballast bags.   And just waiting to go reversible if he only has 600 to spend right now. 

I can tell you that the 600 sumo set up with bow triangle on a vtx puts out a great wave and he would be happy.  But if he wants to spend more than 600 on custom bags/ then also still have to buy pumps go for it.   

2 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

How can a bag be faster?    They are both 1 inch ports

I am with you on buying things twice.  That is why I recommend not buying the piggy back system and only get the ballast bags.   And just waiting to go reversible if he only has 600 to spend right now. 

I can tell you that the 600 sumo set up with bow triangle on a vtx puts out a great wave and he would be happy.  But if he wants to spend more than 600 on custom bags/ then also still have to buy pumps go for it.   

The boat has the bow and center hard tanks already, do I really need another bag in the bow? Would I be scooping up water with the nose loaded up like this?

thanks 

You can get away with out the bow bag.   For surfing.   But the bow bag really helps get your nose down and lengthens the wave.  With that much weight in the Back and nothing additional up front you may hit a speed wall.  Also will help get you on plane for wake boarding.   

There has been requests to show pictures of my cheap 2x12 surf wedge. Don't judge. It looks like crap. I would love to make it out some 1' thick plastic of some sort. Finding a supplier for something affordable has been the issue here.

Wedge.jpg

wedge2.jpg

Edited by theGrant
8 hours ago, theGrant said:

There has been requests to show pictures of my cheap 2x12 surf wedge. Don't judge. It looks like crap. I would love to make it out some 1' thick plastic of some sort. Finding a supplier for something affordable has been the issue here.

Wedge.jpg

wedge2.jpg

What about HDPE? I'm looking at getting some from Amazon. 

16 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

How does that attach, can you post a couple of pics from other angles?  I am making my own this year too.

If you look at the second picture, you can see the bottom chunk of wood underneath the swim platform. It sandwiches top and bottom of the swim platform and butts up to the swim platforms metal mounting bracket. I don't have access right now to any other pictures. The boat is in storage. The hardest part was getting all the angles and curves right. If you search the forums for poormans gate you should find tons of other ones guys have made. Or teakgate. MartinArcher made a great version. If you look at his early stages of his build its a little more doable for a weekend project. The biggest thing I dislike about mine is the inability to collapse it. It takes up a ton of space.

8 hours ago, Therock482 said:

What about HDPE? I'm looking at getting some from Amazon. 

I can't get HDPE in Canada for anywhere near that price. Maybe 3-4x if I'm lucky.