Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Find a Boat

RyanB

A buddy of mine wants to get a V-drive.  His budget is up to $30k.  Wants something with tower and ballast.  Here is the kicker.  He also wants what I would call traditional style seating - where there is actually a forward facing passenger seat.

Does such a boat exist?

That one oj linked is nice. You really can't be picky about anything else if that seat is a requirement. You can always buy the boat you want then change the seating layout. It wouldn't be that hard to do. The hardest part would be finding a second driver seat. 

Thanks OJ.  That is what he is looking for.  I passed it on to him.

I agree with you as far as searching.  I haven't been able to figure out what the key words should be.

27 minutes ago, thtrog said:

Here you go, no trailer and would have to be shipped.

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/bod/5361191103.html

Thanks.  That is the one that OJ posted above.  I didn't see the no trailer part.  That will likely move it above his target price.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

You can try sport seating or swivel spotter seat, but honestly most folks don't seem to put that in the ads.  Best bet is to just use searchcraigslist.org or onlyinboards and just look at a lot of pictures.

I think that is what he has been doing.  If I knew what models had it as an option that would at least tighten the search parameters.  A lot of the boat postings don't even show interior photos.

28 minutes ago, thtrog said:

Here you go, no trailer and would have to be shipped.

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/bod/5361191103.html

6 hours ago, RyanB said:

A buddy of mine wants to get a V-drive.  His budget is up to $30k.  Wants something with tower and ballast.  Here is the kicker.  He also wants what I would call traditional style seating - where there is actually a forward facing passenger seat.

Does such a boat exist?

if he is coming from and i.o or outboard, he just thinks he wants front facing passenger seating. Rear facing is so much better.

Just now, Chia said:

if he is coming from and i.o or outboard, he just thinks he wants front facing passenger seating. Rear facing is so much better.

Not sure I agree with that statement.  I am happy with the way my boat is laid out, but I will say that it is very unusual for anyone to sit up where the 
"passenger seat" would be in a sterndrive.

And it was not unusual for people to sit there in my old boat.

Either way, my buddy says that a front facing passenger seat is a non-negotiable in the boat purchase.

2 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Not sure I agree with that statement.  I am happy with the way my boat is laid out, but I will say that it is very unusual for anyone to sit up where the 
"passenger seat" would be in a sterndrive.

Were you towing people in your old boat?  I never have a problem getting a buddy to sit in the observer's seat.  Two downsides about the double captains chair setup: first, it makes the rest of the boat seem a lot smaller.  Second it's goofy (errr "nontraditional") which will make it harder to sell (IMHO).  Sorta like having a boat with pink gel.  We all know they exist, but very few people actually want one.

Oops, I had seen that boat listed a month or so ago in front of the NC dealership and posted before reading the thread. I agree with Shawn, not many out there because it was not a very desired option. That said, your buddy should buy what he likes and good luck in the search!

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Were you towing people in your old boat?  I never have a problem getting a buddy to sit in the observer's seat.  Two downsides about the double captains chair setup: first, it makes the rest of the boat seem a lot smaller.  Second it's goofy (errr "nontraditional") which will make it harder to sell (IMHO).  Sorta like having a boat with pink gel.  We all know they exist, but very few people actually want one.

Yes, we did quite a bit of watersports with my old sterndrive.  But when people would sit in that seat, it was usually when we were cruising around.

As I stated, I don't remember anyone ever sitting in that same position in my Malibu, but maybe that is because there is so much other seating.

I personally would not buy a boat with the bucket seat in a tow boat.  Not because I personally would not want it, but because I agree with you that it will be much more difficult to sell when that time comes.

Wow, I never knew that such was made. At first just now, I liked that option, but then after I thought about it, when doing water sports in my old I/O, that seat is always turned around to face the back anyway. In my Bu, everybody seems to like sitting facing the back or facing me as I drive. 

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Any thoughts on this one?  Seem to be in good shape with low hours.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5436124789.html

Price seems a bit on the high side, but I dont see many 25's for sale.

Here is some info: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/59912.html?1049074433

Edited by 95echelon

25lsv would be the last bu I would buy. It doesn't do anything well wake wise. I doubt it would ski at all either. Anyone surf behind one? It may be ok for surfing. 

It may be worth it to see what adding the extra seat after the fact would cost. This is the route I would take if I had to have that seat. Don't compromise on big things like the hull and engine because you want the captains chairs. I just had my interior out this winter and it was not hard work. The hardest thing would be finding a matching seat. There's also the option of buying two new matching seats and installing them. 

Just my $.02 focus on the things you can't change then add the seat. 

On February 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM, 95echelon said:

This is double his budget (and WAY overpriced) but since I see so few with that captains option here you go: https://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/5393601177.html

Looks very nice, but he is wanting to hold tight to that budget.

For those that mentioned just buying something and then changing the seating, he claims he has looked into that but is concerned that the budget would explode due to the fab costs.  Something about the way the floors are built in these boats?

On February 27, 2016 at 11:43 PM, RyanB said:

Looks very nice, but he is wanting to hold tight to that budget.

For those that mentioned just buying something and then changing the seating, he claims he has looked into that but is concerned that the budget would explode due to the fab costs.  Something about the way the floors are built in these boats?

I think the issue is that most 05 and newer boats are over 30k. Even some 06-07 models near 40k. 

I haven't seen this option on older boats. If it's an 06+ option then his budget may have to be adjusted for ANY Malibu, not just those with spotter seats. I would be budgeting 40 tops and working from there.