Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade bugs

WakeGirl

Welcome back from the upgrade everyone.

While we are back online, we are currently working through a number of major issues with the site. We decided to bring it back online since we have basic functionality, but be aware that the site is not firing on all cylinders. Major issues include the following:

• search not returning results prior to the upgrade - FIXED
  • major formatting problems in the resources and classifieds sections (it's so bad in the resources section that I've disabled access for now) - 90% FIXED
  • remaining resources need templates rebuilt

We have a number of other issues that we're actively working to fix, but we would appreciate your help in tracking others down. Please report any oddities or problems that you see in this thread. One other thing to remember is that because the site software was completely re-written, the caches need to be completely rebuilt & as a result performance will likely suffer for a while.

As always, we appreciate your patience as we work through the issues.

17 minutes ago, justgary said:

I like the black text also. 

I can't seem to get the desktop skin from my phone, but maybe that's on your list of fun stuff to do. 

There is no mobile skin. One skin to rule them all. It is responsive, so it works fine on both.

One more thing that I thought of. All of you should clear your cookies & history just to avoid any issues around that, as well as reset your bookmarks. The site structure is a bit different & you may get 404 errors if you use old links.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GreenMan said:

Loving the return to black text on white background. :) 

I hate it. Black background with white text was one of the design features I loved most about this site.  Much easier on the eyes, especially at night.

I hope there is an option to bring that back. 

• Like 3

+1 on the handles looking fuzzy

all prior notifications are empty 

On the home page the recent post appear to be in the same thread if that makes sense , the header or topic that each post belongs to is not very visible.

Also not every recent post shows in the recent post thread on the homepage

cant say that I care for the one skin to rule them all. On a phone you have to scroll forever compared to the old version.  And on a PC I feel like I have to drop the browser down to 75% so that I can see more than one post at a time due to the massive amounts of wasted screen space

as for bugs, I'm seeing odd stuff while entering a reply (mobile). The carot gets stuck but typing continues at expected place. When you backspace it does it at the stuck carot.

Edited by oldjeep

Not sure if it's a bug or I just can't work it out but I cannot seem to find the options for selecting unread/new posts (eg since last visit; last 24 hours etc). That was really convenient.  Personally I preferred the white text on black background - much better for reading when you're laying in bed at night...

48 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I was going to reply to Nitrousbird's post, then decided not to, now when I go to post a new reply it still brings up his header, I deleted everything else...?

The black on white is hard on the eyes.  Didn't realize how much I appreciated the old look.

54 minutes ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

Not sure if it's a bug or I just can't work it out but I cannot seem to find the options for selecting unread/new posts (eg since last visit; last 24 hours etc). That was really convenient.  Personally I preferred the white text on black background - much better for reading when you're laying in bed at night...

It's there, just not as easily to find.

On a browser, click on Unread Content. (Left of the Facebook Icon)

Then on the next screen,   

Click on Edit This stream. Then you you will get a new screen with many options.

41 minutes ago, footndale said:

It's there, just not as easily to find.

On a browser, click on Unread Content. (Left of the Facebook Icon)

Then on the next screen,   

Click on Edit This stream. Then you you will get a new screen with many options.

You can also go to Activity -> My Activity Streams and create a new one. Then save it and use the check box to set it as the Default Stream. Then you'll always be able to see it and click on it.

Mods, site looks good. Can't please everyone with skin choices and such. Thanks for the hard work.

Edit: Just checked it out on Mobile. I really like it. On Safari for iPhone, it's fast, has a good look and I like that my newly created "New Posts" Activity Stream button is right at the top without any extra clicks. I just bring up the page, hit the New Posts activity button I setup and there are all the Topics sorted by last reply time. Easy browsing.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2

Love the black txt on white. And Thx for all the hard work!

One issue, I've found on this post my pics are gone, and where is the "preview" for a post?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/58216-another-sub-story/&page=2

Edited by Dare2goBare

I like the black on white too.  The rest will take some getting used to.

Small (very small) item is I don't like the little hearts by the "like this" button.  Too girly. 

The rest all seems good, thanks for all you do!

Also - +1 on the fuzzy names.  And the avatars seem cropped.

Not really complaining, just giving feedback.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RTS said:

And at least for me, the site seems really, really slow to navigate.

Also, I don't see who is currently reading a topic.  

Slow for me as well, where no other site is being slow.  The user name text is also fuzzy as everyone else pointed out.  I also agree that the formatting requires more scrolling than before.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't say I've seen anything yet I like better than the old site. :(  I'm sure it was a bunch of time, work and money moving to this new site, which I appreciate TMC admins wanting to make the site better.  I guess it begs the question - why upgrade what was already a good site?

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I like the new format!

Did we loose signatures and the our boat house's?

Signatures should be back now. I've also enabled Gravatar support (not sure if it was there before, but it appeared to be disabled).

There is a link to the Boat House in the nav bar up above. I'll see about getting a link back into our profiles in topic view.

'unread content' produces a list of recently updated topics, as expected.

clicking into any of the 'unread content' topics opens that topic to the first item while i'm expecting the oldest unread topic entry.

edit to add: cleared cookies, logged out then back in.  no change.

thanks to the admins for all.

Edited by tvano