Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Rewire and Refresh Looking for Advice

robbennett

Hey guys. I'm in the process of refreshing my stereo system as the wiring was a jumbled mess from the previous owner and had some questions. I have taken everything out and will be reusing everything that is nice.

I've searched the threads but does anyone remember any really clean install threads? I want to make it look as good as possible with what I have.

Also I need to figure out what size fuses to use for the power wires to each amp. Anyone know a good chart for this?

I will be reusing

Kicker HLCD tower speakers
interior speakers

3 Kicker DX amps -

1 - 1000.1 For subwoofer

2 - 400.4 1 for towers and 1 for interior.

-Bow will be run off head unit

I have bought new-

WS-420bt

Kicker solo baric sub

Need to buy

Head unit - old one still works but is a cheapo.

Various wiring

Fuses and fuse holders for each amp

Also I built a new sub box and amp board out of plywood. Waterproofed with 3 coats fiberglass resin.

I debated on if I want to run the bow at all. Don't really need a ton of power up there because it's usually only ballast up there.

Run the bow speakers off the external amplifier or not at all.

You don't want these circumventing the EQ in case you are using the EQ zone control or the EQ Aux input, just to list a few.

Even without the EQ it's nearly impossible to gain match the bow running off a HU to the other speakers driven by the amplifier. The HU power is weak and not comparable to the amplifier power regardless of what the specs would suggest. So that the HU power doesn't fall flat on its face and distort prematurely, you would have to gain the amplifier inordinately high which means unnecessary noise. The alternative is the bow speakers not keeping pace and the bow is a noisy location or gaining the cockpit down far below their potential. There's just no good way to zone balance this way (using the HU power).

I'll probably just not do the bow speakers then. I'll leave the bow as a place to get away from the stereo haha.

Any input as to what to do about fuses in the amp power wires? It didn't have any before I think I should add them.