Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How easy/hard is it to get in a wakesetter from the water?

Banks13

Compare Stevo and IXFE pics you see a few inches of difference, IXFE "WAKESETTER" logo almost to water line. As his bow is level, he has his bow tank filed, also likely a bow bag. If he did not have those full the platform is significantly under water. Seriously ankle deep, my 85 year old step dad is able to get back in without much help. He needs more help from the dock than the platform, (when it's sunk). So I would say spend the $500 on bags not a ladder. Just my $.02

• Like 1

Compare Stevo and IXFE pics you see a few inches of difference, IXFE "WAKESETTER" logo almost to water line. As his bow is level, he has his bow tank filed, also likely a bow bag. If he did not have those full the platform is significantly under water. Seriously ankle deep, my 85 year old step dad is able to get back in without much help. He needs more help from the dock than the platform, (when it's sunk). So I would say spend the $500 on bags not a ladder. Just my $.02

The shots are from the exact opposite perspective, which will make one look closer than it really is, and one look further than it really is.

My A22 with hard tanks and a pair of 750's (no ballast in center or front) would get the platform several inches underwater. The VLX starts several inches higher. Actually, let's do some simple match. How much water has to be displaced to get that platform underwater to ankle level? About 10 inches down? Okay, figure you'll sink about 15' of the boat, though likely more. Sinking the rearmost part 10" will only change the angle of the boat 1.9 degrees, so most oif the boat will still go down. But even with only 15' sunk, a 100" beam, you will displace 180,000 cubic inches of water. THat is 6700 pounds of water.

Sorry, not going to happen.

I will probably add the ladder when I replace my swim platform mat. My mom is my driver about 30% of the time and she has a hard time getting in even with the 750's full (bow weighted to). Full ballast and lotsa people and my platform has never been to the surface of the water. I need to keep her happy so I get out on the weekdays ;-)

She also just got a knee replacement, so anything to make it easier is worth it IMO.

Additionally, my 3 and 4 year old kids can't climb up without help. Which is not a big issue, but contrary to what some others have said.

Edited by Raimie

The shots are from the exact opposite perspective, which will make one look closer than it really is, and one look further than it really is.

My A22 with hard tanks and a pair of 750's (no ballast in center or front) would get the platform several inches underwater. The VLX starts several inches higher. Actually, let's do some simple match. How much water has to be displaced to get that platform underwater to ankle level? About 10 inches down? Okay, figure you'll sink about 15' of the boat, though likely more. Sinking the rearmost part 10" will only change the angle of the boat 1.9 degrees, so most oif the boat will still go down. But even with only 15' sunk, a 100" beam, you will displace 180,000 cubic inches of water. THat is 6700 pounds of water.

Sorry, not going to happen.

Then your VLX platform is way higher than my MXZ. My platform is under water with the bow weighted. If I remove some bow weight it is literally ankle deep. Here is evenly weighted..

post-24799-0-58719100-1455719497_thumb.j

Then your VLX platform is way higher than my MXZ. My platform is under water with the bow weighted. If I remove some bow weight it is literally ankle deep. Here is evenly weighted..

Holy smokes, I'll say! Yeah, it IS a lot lower. I can only get mine to just touch the water, fully loaded. Do'nt have any good pictures of it, but Stevo's shows it pretty well. So I guess teh next question to the OP is......which Malibu?

I will probably add the ladder when I replace my swim platform mat. My mom is my driver about 30% of the time and she has a hard time getting in even with the 750's full (bow weighted to). Full ballast and lotsa people and my platform has never been to the surface of the water. I need to keep her happy so I get out on the weekdays ;-)

She also just got a knee replacement, so anything to make it easier is worth it IMO.

Additionally, my 3 and 4 year old kids can't climb up without help. Which is not a big issue, but contrary to what some others have said.

Just fill the rear, not the front to get the platform deeper

Anyone who is having troubles getting on the platform might need to spend some time in the 'Biggest Loser 2016' thread

The only people I've ever seen struggle getting onto the platform were very pregnant women. I'd fill the rear sacks and tell them to 'Shamu' themselves up.

• Like 2

Just fill the rear, not the front to get the platform deeper

Typically we fill ballast while the kids ride their ski-trainer, surf a set, stop for a 10-20 minute swim break, surf a set, kids ride their trainer while we drain on the way back to the hoist.

With a 3 and 4 year old aboard, I need to be efficient. They are really good most of the time, but what I said above usually takes about 2 hours with 2-3 people surfing.

When I wakeboard I don't need much ballast, so the same basically applies that I don't want to wait to fill/drain.

Anyone who is having troubles getting on the platform might need to spend some time in the 'Biggest Loser 2016' thread

The only people I've ever seen struggle getting onto the platform were very pregnant women. I'd fill the rear sacks and tell them to 'Shamu' themselves up.

Depends on the boat. My 98 sportster platform was under water when we had the sacks filled. My Axis platform is 6" above the water as shown above.

My parents are in their 60's. 3 knee replacements between them, arthritis in their hands and shoulders for working in physical jobs for 40+ years. Cut them some slack.

• Like 4

Depends on the boat. My 98 sportster platform was under water when we had the sacks filled. My Axis platform is 6" above the water as shown above.

My parents are in their 60's. 3 knee replacements between them, arthritis in their hands and shoulders for working in physical jobs for 40+ years. Cut them some slack.

https://youtu.be/3c9glKx2u20?t=40s

+ another for fill the rears, drain the fronts. If you have people, have them move to the back til the subjects get on the platform. If that doesn't work, make a ladder using a ski or anchor rope. Only needs one loop, tie that to the grab handle. I had to do this for my wife after she had surgery. One step, then shamu onto the platform.

You can definitely have issue getting back on board even if the platform is right at the water level. Tow boats are some of the only boats that don't come with ladders. Except for you spoiled MXZ owners.

Edited by saxton15

I find that if someone is having an issue crawling back on the platform, if I yell as loud as I can that a SNAKE!! is right behind them, they will usually get right on without any trouble.

Seriously, the undermount ladder is still an option. It's probably the best option for your crew to get back in on the platform if you want to spend the $$.

A friend went to the lake with us that is 400+ lbs, he couldn't get in the boat that had a ladder. He could easily get in and out of our boat and other boats with platforms. Said that was the first time he enjoyed the lake/boats.

Edited by MLBurns
On 2/17/2016 at 8:02 AM, 67King said:

Holy smokes, I'll say!  Yeah, it IS a lot lower.  I can only get mine to just touch the water, fully loaded.  Do'nt have any good pictures of it, but Stevo's shows it pretty well.  So I guess teh next question to the OP is......which Malibu?

It's funny how different they are!   This was Friday afternoon.   All tanks full rear bags, AND 800 pounds of lead in the bow, only 2 people in the boat, and I am still ankle deep.  So imagine draining bow tank and not having lead in the bow. That would easily add 1-2 more inches. 

IMG_20160222_070338120.jpg

Sounds like there isn't a definitive answer here.

My 23LSV did not come with a ladder.  My dad often boats with us.  He is 73 years old, pretty physically fit, active enough that he walks around 5 miles per day, and goes pheasant hunting with me every year.  Didn't matter what I did with the ballast, he still struggled to get in the boat.

I spent the $$$ and added the ladder.