Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How easy/hard is it to get in a wakesetter from the water?

Banks13

Looking to buy my first Malibu soon. I've owned several boats with latters in back and in front of the boat. My question, how hard is it to get back in from the water with no latters, just a swim platform? I have 4 year old twins, and aging parents to consider. Thanks for any input.

You use to be able to get a ladder that mounted under the swim platform (not sure if it's still available), but generally it's not hard. My 4 year old has no problems with it. The platform is really at water level so it's an easy transition. Nothing like pulling yourself up at a pool if that what you are thinking.

If the boat is weighted down with ballast the swim platform will be underwater mostly, this was a concern of mine when I bought mine. You should have no problem getting in or out, you may need to grab the little guys hand for him to get out though.

I'm not sure what a latter is, but any person in even okay shape can get on the swim platform without issue. Kids are easy - just pick them up (from the water or from the platform). I have zero need for a ladder or other device to get on, but if I did I would simply install an under platform ladder.

• Like 2

This was my dealers quote on installing said ladder:

$482.80 + $20 est shipping + 240(labor) = 786.25

It's $500 something if ordered as an option on a new build

I agree that kids are easy to get back in the boat, its older heavy set folks that struggle

Your kids will have zero issues getting in and out of the boat. It will be far easier for them and they wont have to worry about hitting anything when jumping off the swim platform while saying 'dad watch this' 482 times throughout the day.

Parents might need some help but you can always fill the rear ballast and stand on the swim step to help lower the stern. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

• Like 1

I don't know about the Malibus but prior surf gate Axis platforms were barely out of the water but surfgate Axis platforms are way out of the water. The ladder is a nice option if you feel the need, works well. I agree that kids find platforms easy to get up on and the average adult is fine. image_zps2kctmh08.jpg

Edited by AJWest

For adding a ladder, I would think it would depend on the boat, and platform also. I have an overweight friend that does have trouble getting himself back up onto the platform. Not enough upper body strength to propel his body high enough out of the water to get on the platform.

I devised a 12 ft tow strap looped around and have both ends connected to the pull bar on the back of the boat with a large caribiner. This gives him a "step" to put his foot into and he can use his leg to help push his body up. I spend less that $40.

Edited by REHinH20

I believe that the degree of onboarding difficulty is directly proportional to the amount of ballast one personally carries in their transom and forward hull areas. Speaking from experience I can attest to both extremes and there is a noticeable difference.

• Like 3

I believe that the degree of onboarding difficulty is directly proportional to the amount of ballast one personally carries in their transom and forward hull areas. Speaking from experience I can attest to both extremes and there is a noticeable difference.

Are you talking about the boat's ballast or the human's ballast?!?

• Like 2

Windline SM3X

http://www.boatersland.com/wdnsm3x.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiArou2BRDcoN_c6NDI3oMBEiQANeix5od1dyT3lx_R8XzUgTPr_-DI4DNEUP5I92zfdiZgOF8aAvgw8P8HAQ

This is the one that I added to my teak platform. Works really well. Does not interfere with the Wedge door or stowing the Wedge. Parents and my 2 yo daughter and 4 yo nephew have no problem using it. I mounted it as far back toward the transom as I could so that you would not hit when stowed and hopping in with a wakeboard strapped on. Only thing I did to adapt mine was to have a section of stainless angle welded onto each side so that could add more screws and not have to thru mount using carriage bolts. I can get pics but it will be after the weekend.

Robert

I find it very easy, but have seen people struggling. They were not athletic and struggled even with a ladder. Ive seen some rope ladders that people just tie onto the pull bar like REHs suggestion.

I find it very easy, but have seen people struggling. They were not athletic and struggled even with a ladder. Ive seen some rope ladders that people just tie onto the pull bar like REHs suggestion.

I guess the big key is just having that first, firm footing to help. Good idea with the rope ladder

If you fill only rear tanks and bags platform is Ankle deep. Depending on model MXZ vs others the ladder is included with the former but not the Latter....sorry couldn't help myself. ...

This is why I love the TMC,

You can always rely on great support. ....lol.... :Tease3:

A good friend of ours bought a small (4' x 6' or so) cargo climbing net online and he clips it to his grab handle with a few padded carabiners. He bought it for his parents to be able to board the boat more easily from the water, but the kids absolutely love playing on it as well.

9740d02d252f530cdb3f08e77decd8ca.jpg

Random Link

Edited by RedOwl

reasonably fit human beings aged 4-70 have had no problem getting in our boats. I've never had a ladder; I've never loaded ballast with the intent to make the trip up the platform easier. Unless you have a disability I'd think this is a non-issue.

My 4 year-old daughter can get up on the back of my 20 foot wakesetter with no problem. The platform is right at water level. My 70 year-old father who is in decent shape but has a bad, arthritic shoulder struggles to get up on the platform. Takes him a while and occasionally a little help but he gets it done.

I don't know about the Malibus but prior surf gate Axis platforms were barely out of the water but surfgate Axis platforms are way out of the water. The ladder is a nice option if you feel the need, works well. I agree that kids find platforms easy to get up on and the average adult is fine. image_zps2kctmh08.jpg

This. Can't be understated. Our pre-gate A22 was no problem. Used to fill the rear tanks to sink the platform, mostly to help the dog get in. The VLX gets nowhere nearly as close as the A22. We got the ladder which I call the "mother-in-law" ladder since she griped to 67Queen about the Axis, is very useful. If you are debating spending the money when new, I'd highly recommend getting it.