Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can the stereo controls on the right MUX be removed?

My left Mux is acting up. On top of that I have removed the factory JBL black box from the boat. I would like to remove all stereo controls from the right MUX so I can add all functions from the left to the right. That way I can install a H/U in the space of the left MUX. While in edit mode on the MUX I have not been able to remove the stereo controls. Is there a trick? Also, is there a max number of pages per MUX switch?

Edited by theGrant

I know on my '10, the radio doesn't appear on the right MUX and the presets and wedge do not appear on the left MUX. I think the MUX box itself is symmetrical so you could probably just swap them left to right, but you will lose certain functions going right to left MUX. A new MUX from Bakes is like $220ish IIRC. You are probably going to run into clearance problems with a head unit in that space. I was under there this morning finishing up my sub box install and the helm shelf sits right under both MUX switches. In order for a head unit to fit flush you will probably have to notch the fiberglass shelf to get the rear drop for the head unit to sit flush. The ingition switch sits pretty close under the MUX as well which may pose another problem. Your '08 may be slightly to totally different but unlikely. I thought that all functions for the MUX were routed through the dreaded Black Box so you may lose some functions pulling it also, but I can only speak about my '10.

I know on my '10, the radio doesn't appear on the right MUX and the presets and wedge do not appear on the left MUX. I think the MUX box itself is symmetrical so you could probably just swap them left to right, but you will lose certain functions going right to left MUX. A new MUX from Bakes is like $220ish IIRC. You are probably going to run into clearance problems with a head unit in that space. I was under there this morning finishing up my sub box install and the helm shelf sits right under both MUX switches. In order for a head unit to fit flush you will probably have to notch the fiberglass shelf to get the rear drop for the head unit to sit flush. The ingition switch sits pretty close under the MUX as well which may pose another problem. Your '08 may be slightly to totally different but unlikely. I thought that all functions for the MUX were routed through the dreaded Black Box so you may lose some functions pulling it also, but I can only speak about my '10.

Thanks for the input. I have removed all the black box components without issue. Before I did I contacted Medallion Instrumentation (the makers of MUX) and they told me what all could be removed. I am really struggling finding a suitable space to install this H/U and have it easily accessible and still look clean. I looked on Bakes today as well. The new switches are $299. With exchange and shipping I would be well over $500 CAN. That just isn't an option for me right now.

Some guys have stuck the hu in the cubby hole at their right elbow. The depth should be fine, but you will probably have to build some sort of mounting cage/bracket to keep it from moving around. Another alternative would be to mount it below the dash, which IMO would look pretty lame. The hu's were also put in the walk way of earlier MY's which begs the question what were they smoking when they came up with that idea. If money weren't an option, which unfortunately it sounds like it is I wouldn't even screw with a hu. I would put in an EQ and run everything off of it. I never listened to the radio to begin with due to poor reception and poorer radio station choices. Since I upgraded my system I just plug my phone into the EQ and run Pandora or the music off of my phone. I literally only use the stereo on/off button, everything else is done with the 420.

Some guys have stuck the hu in the cubby hole at their right elbow. The depth should be fine, but you will probably have to build some sort of mounting cage/bracket to keep it from moving around. Another alternative would be to mount it below the dash, which IMO would look pretty lame. The hu's were also put in the walk way of earlier MY's which begs the question what were they smoking when they came up with that idea. If money weren't an option, which unfortunately it sounds like it is I wouldn't even screw with a hu. I would put in an EQ and run everything off of it. I never listened to the radio to begin with due to poor reception and poorer radio station choices. Since I upgraded my system I just plug my phone into the EQ and run Pandora or the music off of my phone. I literally only use the stereo on/off button, everything else is done with the 420.

I considered the 420. But i got a Fusion ip700i for $235 canadian. 4 Zone contol. Bluetooth. And I can leave my old iPhone 4s in the dock it comes with always. Also, it is very user friendly for my wife. I may regret the decision, bu only time will tell. As for mounting options, when you say at the right elbow, are you talking about to the space to the right of the throttle or above it? Obviously both would require some cutting. I would love to put in where the left MUX is. Even if i just relocated the MUX to a different location. My left is shot anyway. The page button quit on me.

post-26873-0-69754200-1455667709_thumb.j

You might be able to get the hu in the left MUX location, but it will be tight. You will have to get on your back to have a look up to verify with a few measurements to be sure if it will fit. I can guarantee you that it will be a major a_ _ pain to get the upper dash pad off to work in that space. In reference to this picture the cubby on my '10 is located directly to the right of the throttle. You will need the depth that that area behind the throttle would provide. The good thing is you can pull the panel to do the fabrication if you go that route.

You might be able to get the hu in the left MUX location, but it will be tight. You will have to get on your back to have a look up to verify with a few measurements to be sure if it will fit. I can guarantee you that it will be a major a_ _ pain to get the upper dash pad off to work in that space. In reference to this picture the cubby on my '10 is located directly to the right of the throttle. You will need the depth that that area behind the throttle would provide. The good thing is you can pull the panel to do the fabrication if you go that route.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into how to pull that panel by the throttle.

The side panel is held on with 10mm nyloc nuts and washers. The bolts holding it on are epoxied to the back side of the panel and you will most likely have to blindly feel around behind the panel to find and remove the nuts. If you bust off one of the epoxied bolts go straight to JB Weld and it will work like a champ, the fast cure works great! The top dash pad will be a come to Jesus experience to mess with!