Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Malibu Surf Pipe

ConnollyCrew

They accplish a couple things. 1. It moves exhaust down into the prop wash so it surfaces behind you. This is critical if you have a non cat boat. Co2 is a killer, and even if you don't get sick, it can make you feel just Meh... 2. Quiets the boat significantly! Absolute best most cost effective stereo upgrade you can possibly do. Huge difference in the cabin and even more dramatic behind the boat.

Larry at Fresh Air Exhaust is your source for aftermarket.

Edited by DarkSide

Interesting. Seems like a good feature that boats rarely have. I've done pretty limited boating, how common is it to get sick behind these boats? The quietness shown in their video was pretty obvious though.

They accplish a couple things. 1. It moves exhaust down into the prop wash so it surfaces behind you. This is critical if you have a non cat boat. Co2 is a killer, and even if you don't get sick, it can make you feel just Meh... 2. Quiets the boat significantly! Absolute best most cost effective stereo upgrade you can possibly do. Huge difference in the cabin and even more dramatic behind the boat.

Larry at Fresh Air Exhaust is your source for aftermarket.[/quote

Did you install yourself? If so how difficult is it?

Oh, and does anyone know if Larry's is a good place to buy?

Larry is great. Know that it isn't all good with the FAE, I lost 5MPH of top speed and it screwed up my surf wake (which I fixed with a surf flap me and a buddy designed).

I lost 5MPH of top speed.

This doesn't surprise me, from an exhaust flow perspective it's a pretty poor design. It directs the exhaust from each bank at each other, then forces it to make a 90 degree turn.

I ran without fae to start season last year then put one on. I did not notice any power loss or reduction in top speed. This is with a 409. So far no other issues, has been working great and so nice and quiet.

Edited by Fman
On 19 February 2016 at 10:16 AM, DarkSide said:

Very easy DIY, follow instructions done in less than 2 hours.

As long as you have the old flapper type exhaust outlets.

if you have the STE tips , allows day to change them over to the flapper type outlets then it is only a few hours.

pulled the gas tank to access inside the transom to remove the STE tips on my RLXI, a V drive may be easier is you can access from the ballast area alongside the engine

On 2/19/2016 at 9:33 AM, MadMan said:

This doesn't surprise me, from an exhaust flow perspective it's a pretty poor design. It directs the exhaust from each bank at each other, then forces it to make a 90 degree turn.

I couldn't agree more. Why would you not use mandrel bent tubing. 45 Degree pie cut tubing and a "T" pipe is horrible for exhaust flow. In the automotive industry no one would accept this. Even the OEM's Malibu and Nautique now offer surf pipes that have mandrel bend tubing.

• 4 years later...

Just got a quote of $2,000 to have a surf pipe installed on a 2016 25 LSV. Anyone else have such an experience? Seems high.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:37 AM, Raleigh said:

Just got a quote of $2,000 to have a surf pipe installed on a 2016 25 LSV. Anyone else have such an experience? Seems high.

That's about what I spent on my '17.  I've only had it out once so far but it's definitely much quieter.  As someone said, it's like a stereo upgrade.